1151 Xeon cooler for X11SSM-F in SC836 suggestion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
I recently assembled my new Freenas server in a SC836 chassis. The motherboard is a X11SSM-F. I'm running a Xeon 1240 V6 cpu, using the retail heatsink/fan.

It's keeping things moderately cool, but temps occasionally creep into the mid 40's, but not for long. I'm about to close up the case and put it into position(had been waiting on a SSD caddy in place of the optical drive) and thought maybe it'd be worth putting in a more efficient CPU fan before I do.

I have a little clearance concerns with the ram, but other than that, it's got plenty of room. I'm using all the factory fans in the SC836 and I'm not worried about noise as this resides in my basement.

Any suggestions on a good reasonably priced option? I know I could just grab a cheapo Hyper 212 and orient the exhaust out the rear, but wasn't sure it was the best option. Nor have I measured to see if there's clearance yet in the 836 chassis. It's not really all that tall.

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
As far as I know, all coolers which use a 120mm fan will be too tall for a 3U chassis unless the fan is basically sitting on the motherboard.
If you don't have any issues with the stock cooler, I'd suggest just sticking with it unless you're bored or whatnot and just want aftermarket cooling. I think you're going to find it troublesome to find a cheap option which fits in 3U. Mid 40s is more than well in the safe zone.
Most of your options will likely be either tower coolers that use 80mm fans or top-down coolers.
Noctua makes 3U compatible coolers, but they're fairly expensive at the 60$+ CAD range.