Recent content by Superpos

1. S

E5-2696 v4 22core CPU for $150 or less

Appreciating this thread! I have two T7910s but currently only have one fully deployed and in production using dual E5-2696 v4s. The other one has dual 2680 v4s which replaced dual 2690 v3's currently sitting around. Although set up in the spirit of homelabbing during the pandemic, I'm using...
  2. S

Repurposing SFF C236 workstation

So I have an old Dell Precision T3420 SFF workstation that I'm retiring from film vfx work, but I do have some nostalgia for it. Back in the day it ran pretty well for 2k projects with 64 gigs RAM and Linux. I was surprised, considering it's a very underpowered system. It has 20 PCIe lanes and I...
  3. S

Dell T7910 Liquid Cooling Heatsink and thermal paste

I've had this sitting around for a while and I haven't installed it. Here's Dell's installation video: https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/videos/videoplayer/precision-tower-7910-installation-instructions-liquid-cooling-kit/6079816990001 Notice they clean the thermal paste off when they...
  4. S

Advice: SAS3 enclosure with expander

It looks like I'll need to return the AIC JBOD because the drive trays require a SAS interposer whereas I would be adding native SAS3 drives. It's quite handsome and in good condition too. I did try screwing in the drive in various positions since there are a number of mounting points, but I...
  5. S

I'm waiting for this to arrive. Apparently it will run pretty loud, so I'll be looking at replacing the hot swap fans with Noctuas then looking at the web UI to reduce fan speed. And also probably sticking it in the closet. There's definitely something to be said for the Teradici workstation...
  6. S

Well it has redundant PSUs so that helps, but they have a support office in NJ (I'm in NY).
  7. S

I ended up buying this AIC/Harmonic 24 bay JBOD for $500 on eBay, looks like it ticks all the boxes. https://www.aicipc.com/en/productdetail/253
  8. S

Right, I notice SAS2 is a lot cheaper and I'm tempted, but I'm going to try and do this with SAS3 as I will benefit. I did actually see this eBay listing, it's one I've considered in the last few days.
  9. S

Appreciate the positive note on the 4U60! Something to think about. Re: NVMe and iops, I'm good - I got some enterprise U.2 drives for my separate fast working volume. As I said, this SAS3 JBOD venture is for nearline access to a library and possibly for archived projects, and backup of what's...
  10. S

Also re: the Supermicro. With an expander is preferable to consolidate this down to a single SFF-8644 connecting cable - possibly two later. As mentioned, any critical bandwidth needs are being handled on a separate NVMe volume. But, although this JBOD is handsome it's actually more expensive...
  11. S

Thanks, how is the fan noise with this? Re: L2ARC. It won't hurt to run some. And my understanding is that with very fast flash speeds, the argument against sequential data goes away. But in addition, I will be randomly seeking different frames from file sequences non-sequentially across the...
  12. S

I'm looking at getting a SAS3 enclosure with expander to run off a Linux render/file server with a built-in SAS3 controller flashed to IT mode, linked with a single 8644 cable. The application is mainly film post production, so 2k-4k image sequences that are ~5-40MB/frame. This would be for near...
  13. S

Noname NVME adapters

I started a thread asking about this slightly more expensive one, but I didn't get any replies - it's on NewEgg and Amazon: https://www.newegg.com/p/0Y3-00M7-00234 https://www.amazon.com/PCIe-Mini-Dual-Port-Adapter/dp/B084Q5ZVT9 Still only $80-90, maybe a little more pro. The NewEgg link ships...
  14. S

Quad NVMe card with Supermicro X10Dai

That's great to know, thanks. I got some information on Reddit that a more recent BIOS update to this board does support bifurcation.
  15. S

Quad port PCIe 3.0 x16 SFF-8643 adapter for 4x internal U.2 drives

I've been looking at high capacity NVMe options for a few months and it did not occur to me before to look at U.2, but the price is pretty favorable vs using more consumer-level M.2 sticks once I get into the 4+TB capacity range. And to be honest I will really be thrashing it, so the...