Quad port PCIe 3.0 x16 SFF-8643 adapter for 4x internal U.2 drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Superpos

Jun 9, 2020
I've been looking at high capacity NVMe options for a few months and it did not occur to me before to look at U.2, but the price is pretty favorable vs using more consumer-level M.2 sticks once I get into the 4+TB capacity range. And to be honest I will really be thrashing it, so the server-grade lifespan will be a big benefit.

I already had a Dell Quad M.2 NVMe PCIe x16 card and I did some research on a U.2 equivalent. This x16 SFF-8643 adapter card which uses bifurcation and could connect four U.2 drives at full x4 bandwidth capacity via SFF-8643 to 8639 cables looks like it would deliver the goods:

There's a basic typo where it says "3.2G b/s per port" but I believe that should be 32 Gb/s (4GB/s, ie. x4 speeds).
I've seen this basic design OEM'd with a few different companies. Buying it on NewEgg looks like the most straightforward way to get hold of it.
Does anyone have any experience with it?

EDIT: The same card branded differently on Amazon.

Last edited: