E5-2696 v4 22core CPU for $150 or less

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Hello, its Mike, also with a Xeon system but which isn't stable.
The board is an X99 clone and the likely source of the instability...
Its hard to find a suitable replacement board so would moving to EPYC be worthwhile here..?
Running Esxi
That's the problem with these older cpu is that the cpu gets cheaper but the MB doesn't or even get more expensive...lol.... The cheaper clone just doesn't have the same features that you see from manufacturers like asus or supermicro.

If you have to invest in a new MB, it might be worth while to go with EPYC since the some of the newer EYPC boards even from supermicro are not that expensive like in the $200-300 range and they have all the modern features.

For all of us that already have the older non clone boards, it might be worth it if you have to get a new MB then just go with a whole new system will make more sense

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Hello, its Mike, also with a Xeon system but which isn't stable.
The board is an X99 clone and the likely source of the instability...
Its hard to find a suitable replacement board so would moving to EPYC be worthwhile here..?
Running Esxi
Most of the time old Dell, HP or Lenovo towers are stable and you get the whole setup with case, fans and power supply for little money. Of course the EPYC system sounds like more fun..

WilliamArmstrong

Aug 20, 2020
Wait, with the BeeLinks and the like, could you just find a sas adapter to the x4 slots? That would solve the not enough storage problem. I know thses are offered on some ThinkStation models from Lenovo and have seen them on ebay.
Or just get an adapter. You aren't moving your storage around a lot, right?

Digital Spaceport

Apr 17, 2022
Austin, Tx
digitalspaceport.com
I have 2x of these 2696v4 in a server and they have been really snappy running proxmox vs older 2667v2 chips. It has made virtual desktop based VMs very performance feeling. I have an EPYC 7B12 and TR pro 5955wx as well and virtual desktops snappy like those are which is great for the price. I wish I would have considered the 2690v4 however at the prices posted here.

Reactions: T_Minus

Superpos

Jun 9, 2020
Appreciating this thread! I have two T7910s but currently only have one fully deployed and in production using dual E5-2696 v4s. The other one has dual 2680 v4s which replaced dual 2690 v3's currently sitting around.

Although set up in the spirit of homelabbing during the pandemic, I'm using them for high end film post so I am stressing them. Really I should have the latest Threadripper Pro, but that is a LOT more expensive. I think mainly because of the CPUs, since a bare bones current-gen Gigabyte workstation seems very reasonable. As was mentioned, the Xeon Scalables don't seem such a good deal so I skipped the Dell T7920 even though it's cheap.

I do like the dual Xeon 80 PCIe lanes and the fact the T7910 has four PCIe x16 slots. But it is definitely huge that Epyc and Threadripper have so many PCIe lanes and at some point I'll have to make the move. I have a single RTX A6000 in the 7910 right now, but really I can only add one more. Whereas on Epyc/Threadripper I can easily add four if the budget allowed and have single x16 slots left over. I know it sounds crazy to want to stuff so many of that expensive GPU into a single box, but the software I use is locked to a physical machine and the license is very expensive. So scaling up a single machine ends up being something worth looking into.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Has anyone noticed any appreciable performance impacts of the Spectre Meltdown updates/microcodes on v4 chips like E5-2680v4? I want to be able to use these chips in proofing stuff like Nutanix CE, vSAN, TrueNas Scale without worrying about degraded performance from the CPU.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
You will not notice the difference, but on some benchmarks there will be a difference. Anyway, if all VM's are supposed to belong to you. You can disable all mitigations as you already have superpowers on all VM's. These mitigations are mostly for cloud service providers.

Another spin; For code you trust, these mitigations are not useful. But if you run untrusted code, these mitigations will help.

Reactions: wildpig1234

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You will not notice the difference, but on some benchmarks there will be a difference. Anyway, if all VM's are supposed to belong to you. You can disable all mitigations as you already have superpowers on all VM's. These mitigations are mostly for cloud service providers.

Another spin; For code you trust, these mitigations are not useful. But if you run untrusted code, these mitigations will help.
How do you disable mitigations on non-Windows based platforms? Do you also have to disable mitigations in Windows and Linux virtual machines as well?

I noticed there's some SuperMicro BIOS updates that have updates for spectre meltdown, is there a way to disable them that isn't just running an older BIOS?

Juvibro99

Nov 17, 2023
Here is my build and testimonial lol.

Bought a HPZ440 workstation E5-1650v4 (complete). (great chip for mid level gaming) 5/21/20
Paid $347.17 and it still had about 1yr left of HP support. An early retire I assume.
I then wanted to upgrade the ram. I saw that these rigs could be optioned with ram fans to keep the sticks cool. I bought the shroud and it was a cool addition. I also bought the graphics card cooling lower suction fan.
I put a 2070 Super in just bought some molex/sata power conversion cables. Factory 700watt psu.
I then upgraded to a 2080 Super just fine.
Then I put a 3080ti. (I admit I need to replace those power conversion cables, one is sheered off and occasionally the system shuts down but not while underload, I gamed hard during covid Warzone all day.)
I put a PCI 16x to m.2 card adapter and put one of those 1TB gen 4 drives to run the OS. (Recently)
I then bought the E5-2696V4 and put it in no motherboard issues. I use HPs Support Assistant software to keep the build current and it found a bios update and I let it do its thing. I even have it running on the factory heatsink, I worried about it at first but then this is the perk of a OEM build. The only difference I noticed regarding heat is the fan speed ramping up but it sounds cool and all thermals remain fine. The programming embedded is adequate. I don't game as much, and I know I leave some FPS on the table when using my 3080ti. The overall experience Is smooth and it has a coolness factor that very few understand but I like it. 7/31/22

My latest addition is my monitor. I bought the Alienware OLED 175hz to pair with it. Best investment for my eyesight.

I daily a Dell Latitude 5420 i5 1135g7 with 48gb of ram for work. I mainly use that for heavy web research. The system is usually using about 20gb of that ram. I dock it with the dell dock and its snappy for just that.

Thank you for reading my ted talk.
I felt alone down this path for a while.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Here is my build and testimonial lol.

Bought a HPZ440 workstation E5-1650v4 (complete). (great chip for mid level gaming) 5/21/20
Paid $347.17 and it still had about 1yr left of HP support. An early retire I assume.
I then wanted to upgrade the ram. I saw that these rigs could be optioned with ram fans to keep the sticks cool. I bought the shroud and it was a cool addition. I also bought the graphics card cooling lower suction fan.
I put a 2070 Super in just bought some molex/sata power conversion cables. Factory 700watt psu.
I then upgraded to a 2080 Super just fine.
Then I put a 3080ti. (I admit I need to replace those power conversion cables, one is sheered off and occasionally the system shuts down but not while underload, I gamed hard during covid Warzone all day.)
I put a PCI 16x to m.2 card adapter and put one of those 1TB gen 4 drives to run the OS. (Recently)
I then bought the E5-2696V4 and put it in no motherboard issues. I use HPs Support Assistant software to keep the build current and it found a bios update and I let it do its thing. I even have it running on the factory heatsink, I worried about it at first but then this is the perk of a OEM build. The only difference I noticed regarding heat is the fan speed ramping up but it sounds cool and all thermals remain fine. The programming embedded is adequate. I don't game as much, and I know I leave some FPS on the table when using my 3080ti. The overall experience Is smooth and it has a coolness factor that very few understand but I like it. 7/31/22

My latest addition is my monitor. I bought the Alienware OLED 175hz to pair with it. Best investment for my eyesight.

I daily a Dell Latitude 5420 i5 1135g7 with 48gb of ram for work. I mainly use that for heavy web research. The system is usually using about 20gb of that ram. I dock it with the dell dock and its snappy for just that.

Thank you for reading my ted talk.
I felt alone down this path for a while.
Yeap , upgrading to 2696 v4 also. With dual cpu, you still have a lot of computing power for $300!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
can anyone here who got this cpu tell me if under cpu-z, this shows up as 2696 v4 or does it show up as 2699 v4? thanks

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
From the listings/benchmarks ive looked at when looking at it previously it seems to consistently show up like this one
1700646385964.png

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
From the listings/benchmarks ive looked at when looking at it previously it seems to consistently show up like this one
View attachment 32870
So this is something you have on hand that is showing up or is this a pic from a seller on ebay? reason i ask is because this is what i see on ebay which kinda look suspicious like a non final sample.

take for example, 2696 v2 which is also an oem cpu. It will show up as 2696 v2 under cpuz, NOT 2697 v2 or anything else.

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
So this is something you have on hand that is showing up or is this a pic from a seller on ebay? reason i ask is because this is what i see on ebay which kinda look suspicious like a non final sample.
The user in this reddit post includes the same information as displayed in CPU-Z above. The "Name" field says 2699 v4, but the "Specification" field lists 2696 v4, and the TDP field shows 150W (whereas the 2699 v4 has a 145W TDP). I can understand why this would be confusing, as appears to have happened to the reddit poster.