Noname NVME adapters

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

Just stumpled upon:

Which is a 4 port NVME adapter, i.e. so you can hook up U.2 drives - which apparently uses PCI-bus bifurcation unlike the SuperMicro counterparts - and its cheap - so I wonder if anyone have any experience with this particular part?

Regards

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
It *looks* like that card has the required clock buffer chip to do bifurcation (assuming the motherboard supports it!)
Not sure what that "not support" note is about tho, or the quality of the card itself. It notes PCIe 3.0 support, it *might* support V4 but I wouldn't count on it.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
You know what I will try to buy one - I mean its not a lot of money - and I assume its hit or miss, either it works or it dosen't - hopefully it will not be unstable and kill my nvme pools :-D

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I ordered 1 card - with me luck :)
I have two U.2 drives not being used for anything I can do some testing with, to see if its stable or not.
I will report back when I have received the card.

Reactions: Whaaat and TommyL

Superpos

Jun 9, 2020
I started a thread asking about this slightly more expensive one, but I didn't get any replies - it's on NewEgg and Amazon:

Still only $80-90, maybe a little more pro. The NewEgg link ships from Taiwan, the Amazon one looks like it's in the US.

vcc3

Aug 19, 2018
Hi @Bjorn Smith, I would be interest in your experience with ANU04PE16 PCIe 16x to 4x SFF-8643 bifurcation riser. Does it work with U.2 NVMe SSDs? Does it support PCIe 3.0?
I would appreciate an answer very much. :)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi @Bjorn Smith, I would be interest in your experience with ANU04PE16 PCIe 16x to 4x SFF-8643 bifurcation riser. Does it work with U.2 NVMe SSDs? Does it support PCIe 3.0?
I would appreciate an answer very much. :)
To be honest I have never gotten around to using it.
I was just about to use it for my new TrueNAS build, but my board only have one x16 pci-e slot and I needed that for my network card.
But since I am still testing/tweaking - I might throw it in a see what happens :) - I would assume it just works provided my board support bifurcation of 4x4x4x4 on the x16 slot - but I think it does.

vcc3

Aug 19, 2018
I was just about to use it for my new TrueNAS build, but my board only have one x16 pci-e slot and I needed that for my network card.
I understand! I want to build a mini ceph cluster (3 nodes) and considered min-ITX and flex-ATX and other small form factors because of the power consumption. However, I give up on that idea, because the very limited amount of PCIe lanes requires to much compromises.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... I was just about to use it for my new TrueNAS build, but my board only have one x16 pci-e slot and I needed that for my network card. ...
(Maybe) you can have both [2 x U.2, and Network card] ... (IF you can get hold of) this :
l_1020159_01.jpg
Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8643) 4i plug to PCIe x8 (x4 mode) Slot 85ohm Cable w/SATA 15pin Power

Reactions: vcc3 and itronin