Quad NVMe card with Supermicro X10Dai

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Superpos

Jun 9, 2020
Hey all, not exactly a DIY workstation question but I'm looking at maybe getting a Supermicro 7038A-i dual Xeon with the X10Dai motherboard as an additional machine to a Dell T7910. They're similar motherboards, but the X10Dai doesn't have the additional x16 slots on the right.

One of the great things about the T7910 is being able to add the Dell quad NVMe card with consumer SSD sticks like the Sabrent. I'm not at all clear on if the X10Dai supports that. Note: I don't need to boot from this, just create a RAID volume.

I don't know if I'd need to use a Supermicro card or if a Dell one would work. There is a Supermicro quad NVMe card, but I think it may only work on server motherboards:

I'm getting mixed messages from googling this and searching through Supermicro support, like the motherboard works with server-level NVMe sticks or something. I would be using EFI boot to Linux (NOT off these cards) and I think that x4 bifurcation will work in that case.

istqian

Jun 9, 2016
Fukuoka, Japan
Hi, I am using ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD with X10SRM-F/X10SRi
And it both work fine.
17ee189c-s.jpg
X10DAi will do the same. I think.
SuperMicro X10 MB supports pci bifurcation, when you use this card, you have to setup in BIOS properly.
otherwise it will only recgonize one drive.

if you want to create raid. you have to do it at OS level.

Reactions: Mehmet

Superpos

Jun 9, 2020
That's great to know, thanks. I got some information on Reddit that a more recent BIOS update to this board does support bifurcation.