Recent content by jriker1

1. J

CPU doesn't match actual

Thanks for the reply. I did notice a couple things recently: 1. Setting the server in balanced mode for the power settings is bad. It runs the CPUs at about half speed and apparently won't ramp them up unless all/most of the cores are busy. However that won't usually happen as each virtual...
  2. J

CPU doesn't match actual

I am familiar with the concept that the CPU utilization on the Hyper-V host is the host and not the whole server. That said, ran a stress test on one of my WIndows virtuals and came up with the following with 4 cores allocated: 1. Max any core came up to was 65% 2. When it was showing 65% CPU...
  3. J

Backplane with 4x SFF-8643 how to connect?

Considering a 3U case that has a backplane for SAS/SATA that comes with 4x SFF-8643 connectors on it. 16 ports total. Going to use SAS drives that are 12gbps. Planning on connecting it to a raid card but for the life of me can't tell what kind of cables I need. Haven't figured out the raid...
  4. J

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

For me I'm looking everywhere for a 3U or multiple 3U rack mount cases for my basement rack as it can hold full height cards then. Also one that is deep and doesn't have hard drive cages taking up the whole front of the case. Or if they do, can be removed to support a radiator running across...
  5. J

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Showing wrong bus type

Here's my speeds since the SSD replacement thoughts?
  6. J

Ordered a Samsung 870 EVO for the boot drive to replace the spinning boot drive which is also 2.5inch. I'm curious as I troubleshoot some initial connectivity issues. Looking at MTU values I ran a netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces and got So thinking something may be wrong as the...
  7. J

Thanks. So is there anything I can do with my current older systems to get the hard drives not bottleneck things? So take for example my oldest self build. An Asus Rampage III Extreme. Have it connected to the Marvell SATA 6.0 slot for one. That is coming back with a horrible. Then I...
  8. J

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to run into a GBps vs gbps issue but looking at PCIe lanes explained - how many do you need on a motherboard? (cotscomputers.com) looked like a PCIE 2.0 x8 is 4GBps no? So then that would be 32Gbps. The above picture from my card shows a bus type of 5.0 Gbps...
  9. J

I just installed a Mellanox ConnectX-3 two port in my Windows 2016 server. Haven't installed the fiber cable or SFP+ transceivers yet, however the Bus Type is showing as x8 when I know it's x16 slot any idea what's up or is that just because it's the max the card supports so the "card" is x8...
  10. J

Supermicro 2U PSU for ATX MB?

I am conceptualizing right now a new 2U for my rack rendering workstation. Doing this is part for fun and part for it's intended use and part to keep noise down. I want to buy my own chassis and E-ATX motherboard, RTX GPU but the problem is the power supply. I'm thinking my power needs are...
  11. J

Turning a Dell R5500 into a Desktop

Anyone know if I have multiple R5500s if I could buy motherboards and the like for a 7610 and 7910 and pit those in my existing chassis? Visually they seem the same. Oh and by the way the R5500 devices are very low noise. Think the have delta fans. Any input on the other ones?
  12. J

LSI RAID Controller - HBA Equivalency Mapping

I currently have an H800 Perc controller connected to an MD1200 Dell array. I get these warning codes every second and it's causing the LSI SNMP monitoring program to memory leak due to a bug with it alerting that frequently. Assuming it's due to non standard dell drives in the array. If I...