Turning a Dell R5500 into a Desktop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
So would I be crazy to follow through with wanting to turn a R5500 into my main desktop?

My current desktop is a custom build with 16GB RAM, i7 2600K, a RX580 GPU
I was looking to rebuild it to a rack mount case since I am getting so far into network/server stuff that I hate having a case on the floor.

For about the price of a decent case I can get a used R5500.
We have one at work that I am decommissioning, and when I saw it has all those full size PCI-E slots and was made to be a rack mounted workstation. My first thought was oooo this could be a desktop!

So the immediate concerns are, yes it will probably consume more power, yes it will probably be louder.

1.) I wont leave it on very often so not too worried about power.
2.) I hope I can quiet it if its an issue, but reading shows this is not a loud server.

Benefits for me are.
1.) Rackmout
2.) I should be able to get more processing power for things like video/photo editing
3.) It's cool

Cons:
1.) I expect it will handle gaming but if its a cpu bound game, its going to suffer as the per core speed is slower and most games are not very well tuned for multi-threading.

Being what I currently understand for the pros/cons what does everybody think?

I'll basically swap my RX580 into this, probably install Windows 10 Pro and then put a different GPU in my desktop to give to the kids.

I do light gaming here and there, but mostly just internet stuff and sometimes video editing and photo editing.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
get R7610 or R7910 if you can. R5500 is out dated.
I'll take a look, the R5500 got my attention because I saw it and then looked up how cheap it is.
If its expensive I would not so much do it as I would just build a new desktop instead.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
ROFLMAO - If you had the coins to afford a 7610 or 7900, then you wouldn't see the question or thread...

I used to have an R5400 for around three years, even when socket 2011 was booming and it chewed every big game I threw at it. I have now given that machine to a mate who is using it as a daily driver and gamer to this day.

Now, the R5500, I had two of these and recently sold one to a client who is using it for a CAD server. I am typing this reply on my other trusty R5500 with a pair of Xeon X5650's and 24GB of DDR-III ECC on a pair WD 1TB Raptors (yes, they work with SSD's, just the SATA is Gen-II so 300MB/sec per SSD). GTX970 GPU with Windows 10 Enterprise.

The unit chews any current game title (on three screens) along with me using is a daily driver and DAW work. These run a desktop styles BIOS and support full S3 sleep.

You can also put in a SAS-II HBA or HW-RAID card to drive 2, 4 or all six front 2.5" bays if you wanted.

These are Rack-Mounted Workstations, R for Rack, T for Tower.

jriker1

Sep 27, 2016
Anyone know if I have multiple R5500s if I could buy motherboards and the like for a 7610 and 7910 and pit those in my existing chassis? Visually they seem the same. Oh and by the way the R5500 devices are very low noise. Think the have delta fans. Any input on the other ones?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Anyone know if I have multiple R5500s if I could buy motherboards and the like for a 7610 and 7910 and pit those in my existing chassis? Visually they seem the same. Oh and by the way the R5500 devices are very low noise. Think the have delta fans. Any input on the other ones?
Can't really make out what you are asking, please reword to be understandable. As for the board-swap part, no, they are different.