CPU doesn't match actual

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jriker1

Sep 27, 2016
I am familiar with the concept that the CPU utilization on the Hyper-V host is the host and not the whole server. That said, ran a stress test on one of my WIndows virtuals and came up with the following with 4 cores allocated:

1. Max any core came up to was 65%
2. When it was showing 65% CPU utilization in the virtual, that VM's status in the Hyper-V Manager was 12%.

Any reason why a stress test tool (prime95 x64) wouldn't max out the virtual and the explanation for item 2 above? Note this is a brand new Ryzen 7950x system with 64GB RAM and all NVME drives mounted to the MB connections.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Typically (but depends on the system) 2 vCPU's = 1 Core

If you have HT enabled, keep in mind hyper-v prefers using cores, rather than threads.
Next is the reserve;

1675712555961.png

You should potentially reserve enough % you are committing with your cores.

jriker1

Sep 27, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I did notice a couple things recently:

1. Setting the server in balanced mode for the power settings is bad. It runs the CPUs at about half speed and apparently won't ramp them up unless all/most of the cores are busy. However that won't usually happen as each virtual is only using a few cores.

2. After doing the above, the CPU cores on the virtual showed 100% now however was still showing 12% in the Hyper-V manager. What I'm thinking is that 12% is 12% of the system resources and not the virtual itself which seems like the wrong thing to report on an individual virtual. I also see this same percentage in task manager so almost like Microsoft is now reporting overall CPU usage on the Hyper-V host which from what I read they didn't do before

Thanks.

JR

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz