Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Define R3 actually. The SM ATX board isn't actually standard ATX so 3 of the standoffs had to be removed. I could probably drill new holes in the Fractal case but I did some wiggling and the SM board holds well without all of the standoffs.

Also CM Hyper 212 Evo fans fit perfectly. A bit snug around memory slots though.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Define R3 actually. The SM ATX board isn't actually standard ATX so 3 of the standoffs had to be removed. I could probably drill new holes in the Fractal case but I did some wiggling and the SM board holds well without all of the standoffs.

Also CM Hyper 212 Evo fans fit perfectly. A bit snug around memory slots though.
Nice one!
What HSF are those?
See above.

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
So all of my parts came in and I got it all put together, I went with the following:

GIGABYTE GA-7PESH2
2x E5-2670 from DDS
8x8 ddr Ecc
2x CM 212 Evo's - Already had
Rosewill RSV-L4412 - Already had

I am currently letting it run a few passes in memtest86. The only problem I am having is related to the on-board dual Intel x540. That little copper heatsink on the motherboard is freaking HOT. It measured 44C with a ir probe with nothing even attached to the ports. Looking at the specs, the X540at2 has a TDP of 12.5w an a max temp of 55c, which seems excessive as I have an i-350 quad that uses 3.4w. I disabled them in the bios and after an hour the heatsink is still reading 39C. Due to the odd size and placement of the heatsink I don't think I could replace it. I am sure the nic is going to overheat as soon as I start transferring files. I could point a high performance 120mm fan at it and hope for the best but that just seems less than ideal. I am not sure what the best course of action is here.

Last edited:

Rain

May 13, 2013
So all of my parts came in and I got it all put together, I went with the following:

GIGABYTE GA-7PESH2
Looks like a nice board! Considering the onboard 10GbE Base-T, it's quite a good deal IMO.

The only problem I am having is related to the on-board dual Intel x540. That little copper heatsink on the motherboard is freaking HOT. It measured 44C with a ir probe with nothing even attached to the ports. Looking at the specs, the X540at2 has a TDP of 12.5w an a max temp of 55c, which seems excessive as I have an i-350 quad that uses 3.4w. ...
Comparing a quad 1GbE card to a 10GbE (Base-T!!) device is kinda apples-to-oranges. That said, I'd bet that even a bit of airflow over the heatsink would be enough to keep temps under control; 12.5W really isn't a lot of heat to dissipate. Figure out a way to mount something that keeps (even a little bit of) air moving over the heatsink; it should be fine.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015

GIGABYTE GA-7PESH2
2x E5-2670 from DDS
8x8 ddr Ecc
2x CM 212 Evo's - Already had
Rosewill RSV-L4412 - Already had

I am currently letting it run a few passes in memtest86. The only problem I am having is related to the on-board dual Intel x540. That little copper heatsink on the motherboard is freaking HOT. It measured 44C with a ir probe with nothing even attached to the ports. Looking at the specs, the X540at2 has a TDP of 12.5w an a max temp of 55c, which seems excessive as I have an i-350 quad that uses 3.4w. I disabled them in the bios and after an hour the heatsink is still reading 39C. Due to the odd size and placement of the heatsink I don't think I could replace it. I am sure the nic is going to overheat as soon as I start transferring files. I could point a high performance 120mm fan at it and hope for the best but that just seems less than ideal. I am not sure what the best course of action is here.
So you're the guy that snagged that B/O board on eBay before I got home :) Lucky guy and enjoy!

snclawson

Feb 7, 2013
Server all done. Waiting for more ram so currently running with 8GB atm.

Picture of just one cooler installed: http://i.imgur.com/AkjqMub.jpg
Very nice!

That looks a lot like my file server at home. =) It's currently in a Fractal Designs R4, with 6x data drives and an SSD for boot/system, a Seasonic 660w platinum power supply and an X8SI6 with a X3470 and 4x 8Gb DIMMs. The last upgrade I bought for it was supposed to be a SuperMicro X8DTL-6F with dual X5650's, but FreeBSD 10.2 crapped out enumerating all of the onboard AISCs and I gave up (since I really don't _need_ 12 cores in my file server anyway...) Not to mention that the idle power consumption was a fair bit higher. =(

This is my current dream upgrade! =)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ended up ordering a Supermicro CSE-732I-500B from eBay. I'm hoping the mounting holes line up and it will be an easy build. I plan to upgrade the PSU as I don't think 500w is beefy enough.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
what do you guys think of the Asrock C602 boards? they're widely available at decent price compared to supermicro and other brands

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I have a pair of them and I've had zero issues. I've got a friend with the same board, same experience. It does have an older intel gigabit chipset, but it works fine. I'll be getting a third when the budget allows.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Saivert -

Which direction is airflow? Are you blowing from front of the R3 to the rear?

How are temps at load?
Yes, air is moving from front to rear. There are two fans in the front blowing air over the HDDs. May peak at 50C at max load according to munin.

Reactions: ealvar