ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Civiloid

Jan 15, 2024
understand, such thing's like 1044 days AMD EPYC timer bug LOL. sorry, couldn't resist.
Your. Or like Avoton's AVR54 bug. Just with early ES - more than usual, probably :)

P.S. I also should get my Gigabyte MS73 and 8490 ESs next week, and we'll see if NH-U12S would fit it :)

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
Intel spent a year fixing bugs from E0 to E5. I'm guessing it's mostly accelerator bugs.

The price of prod units is catastrophic. but If ES is used, and any problems arise you will ask yourself: Is that an ES problem? No one can answer you, unless you can debug with the prod unit.

I have an E0 ES, but I can't evaluate it because I don't have a prod unit.

Reactions: DHamov

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
I have Xeon W5-3435, which is SPR-112 E5, so I can theoretically check on it if I can reproduce the problem (if there is any).
Thank you very much
My CPU is good and there are no fatal bugs found
In the AIDA64 cache test, there may stop in the L3 write test if 64 threads or more are enabled
And some more OS thread scheduling issue occur when 64 threads or more are enabled
This require 32 cores or more CPU, I guess ES is not the reason

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Well, I've got LGA4677 MB a year ago and it still sits on a shelf because of most likely QS E3 stepping CPU is unstable (have ES D0 too but it doesn't even detect on SuperMicro), it keeps crashing every 2 hrs.. It might be something else though (have x16 different sticks of RAM, spare PSU) but I've made a peace and ready to wait for another year until ebay starts being flooded with reliable and affordable Sapphire/Emeralds CPUs.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Well, I've got LGA4677 MB a year ago and it still sits on a shelf because of most likely QS E3 stepping CPU is unstable (have ES D0 too but it doesn't even detect on SuperMicro), it keeps crashing every 2 hrs..
It looks like your FAN stop accident caused damage after all.
thermal throttling is 800mhz, and we got package power of 75 watts in idle (800mhz cores & uncore)
75 watts is way to much to stay away from damages without any cooling left.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
It looks like your FAN stop accident caused damage after all.
thermal throttling is 800mhz, and we got package power of 75 watts in idle (800mhz cores & uncore)
75 watts is way to much to stay away from damages without any cooling left.
I have a habit of testing cpus without installing coolers. They usually get hot until I get into boot. I haven't damaged any cpu yet. Is this because these are es cpus.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
2x 8 populated but only one CPU ?
X13DEI has x16 RAM slots (x8 for each CPU), the reason I've described x16 ram sticks was to show that I have spares to try different combinations.
Currently only one RAM stick is plugged in (and I've changed those several times for different module into right slot as per motherboard manual), therefore it's highly unlikely is memory problem.
So yes, it's higher probability of CPU defect (might be my mistake as you mentioned) and low probability of MB.

Reactions: RolloZ170

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Thank you @RolloZ170 . I am running 8461v D0 QYFU ES2 now with Asus Sage. I am very pleased with the performance for the price! Thanks again!

edit: Specified chip is ES.

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

Civiloid

Jan 15, 2024
75W and more is confirmed and to much, they get damage.
Yeah, and I got mine Dual Xeon 8490H ES E0s and the whole thing consume around 330W idle. That is way too much for me to comfortably start without heatsink. That can get motherboard or CPU or both damaged.

Also, at least as far as I see on mine, they don't report correct temperature (they report that CPU is at about ambient room temperature, which is for sure not correct.

Civiloid

Jan 15, 2024
IDLE is cores and LLC/Mesh at 800mhz. if you use windows profile high perf. your system can not IDLE.
I'm running Linux on that machine and mostly default BIOS settings. If I disable deep sleep (should be somewhat equivalent of high perf) then without load system consumes around 550W.