Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Oke - some new developments about my cwwk motherboard:

It turns out the memory i purchased (just ordinary - nothing special low voltage capable kingston hyperx 2666 2x 16G) is not compatible. Proxmox and unRaid just crash. Not even with one bank socketed it crashes. Since the board always crashes after while swapping a different graphics mode I assumed I had to look in that area.

Now I know that de N5105 only support 16G (on paper) but with only one bank socketed it also crashed. It got me thinking. I'm the only one having real issues. And since RAM is the only variable I figured it has to be something like that and I don't know why I did not check this before. I mean - kingston seems AAA brand yes?

I had a 8G that I replace with a 16G in my j4125 topton (which runs fine). I equipped that in the cwwk and bang.. boots - no issues whats so ever. I also had an other 8G sodimm I replaced with a 16G for my sons laptop. And with both banks equipped it booted just fine. The 2 sodimms are not even the same speed-rating or brand (one is levono, the other one some chinees brand you've never heard of).

I can confirm i dont see all drive in the bios but os does so it's fine.
Got unraid running with 2 1T nvme's and 3 old drives to test is. I got no vm's running a.t.m. but I do have 7 dockers running. Although the cpu is quite busy it seems to be handling it. Also pumping user data from my other unraid server to an attached usb-drive to see if its holding.

Edit: who has 2x 16G equipped? - anxious to know brand and specs :D

1698572154387.png

1698572204311.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Marsh

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Now I know that de N5105 only support 16G (on paper) but with only one bank socketed it also crashed. It got me thinking.
on other today intel processors this appears if you got single ranked 16GB.
dual ranked (2x 8GB) working fine.
going some years back the same situation was of you get 8GB single rank = not work,
but dual rank 2x 4GB worked.

Reactions: sjoerd

zyghom

Oct 10, 2023
I bought Topton N6005 and 2x32GB Crucial works - DDR4 3200MHz CL22
but you are talking N5105 so I don't think issue is the same

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Oke - some new developments about my cwwk motherboard:

It turns out the memory i purchased (just ordinary - nothing special low voltage capable kingston hyperx 2666 2x 16G) is not compatible. Proxmox and unRaid just crash. Not even with one bank socketed it crashes. Since the board always crashes after while swapping a different graphics mode I assumed I had to look in that area.

Now I know that de N5105 only support 16G (on paper) but with only one bank socketed it also crashed. It got me thinking. I'm the only one having real issues. And since RAM is the only variable I figured it has to be something like that and I don't know why I did not check this before. I mean - kingston seems AAA brand yes?

I had a 8G that I replace with a 16G in my j4125 topton (which runs fine). I equipped that in the cwwk and bang.. boots - no issues whats so ever. I also had an other 8G sodimm I replaced with a 16G for my sons laptop. And with both banks equipped it booted just fine. The 2 sodimms are not even the same speed-rating or brand (one is levono, the other one some chinees brand you've never heard of).

I can confirm i dont see all drive in the bios but os does so it's fine.
Got unraid running with 2 1T nvme's and 3 old drives to test is. I got no vm's running a.t.m. but I do have 7 dockers running. Although the cpu is quite busy it seems to be handling it. Also pumping user data from my other unraid server to an attached usb-drive to see if its holding.

Edit: who has 2x 16G equipped? - anxious to know brand and specs :D

View attachment 32485

View attachment 32486
G.SKILL Ripjaws F4-3200C22D-32GRS is working fine on my CWWK N6005 board.

Reactions: sjoerd and zyghom

ItsRoimo

Oct 29, 2023
Hey guys which one of these TOPTON boards should I get? the N5105 is more expensive than the J6413 board... but the N5105 is older and lacks a pcie port... so why is the N5105 more expensive?

ItsRoimo

Oct 29, 2023
I have seen that people have had issues with the I226-v NIC has anyone had issues with the ones on this mb?

Camprr23

Nov 20, 2019
That screen scrolls down, there are 6 SATA ports in total, they all basically react the same, but one of them is directly connected to the 'northbridge' (which is integrated in the CPU nowadays) and the others are connected via a controller on a PCIe lane, so the throughput is somewhat limited (around 650Mbyte/sec for 5 drives, SSDs could saturate that link).

InsaneNutter

Oct 9, 2023
Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble getting this board to POST with a PCI-E SATA controller connected?

I purchased a PCI-E SATA controller with the ASM1166 chipset to go in the BKHD-N510X-NAS-I22X (N5105) board, however with the controller present in the PCI-E slot the fans will spin when I power on, but the board will never POST. Removing the SATA controller allows the board to POST perfectly fine.

Maybe I need to change some BIOS settings beforehand?
Could it some how be conflicting with the onboard ASM1166 controller perhaps?

The SATA controller certainly works, my PC can detect it and I even managed to update the firmware on it perfectly fine.

jack64

Aug 24, 2023
Hey guys I just received my n5105 CWWK board and connected it to the PSU and set up RAM and NVME drives to test it out before I mount it on the case but can’t get the bloody thing to POST to save my life.. the CPU fan spins up but nothing else.

I used both HDMI and DisplayPort, with mouse and kb and without.. running out of ideas here.

can you see anything wrong from the picture?

could it be the 2x16gb rip jaws ?

Attachments

Last edited:

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Hey guys I just received my n5105 CWWK board and connected it to the PSU and set up RAM and NVME drives to test it out before I mount it on the case but can’t get the bloody thing to POST to save my life.. the CPU fan spins up but nothing else.

I used both HDMI and DisplayPort, with mouse and kb and without.. running out of ideas here.

can you see anything wrong from the picture?

could it be the 2x16gb rip jaws ?
In my expierence these boards are finicky when it comes to grounding/EMI so try attaching it to case.

E: It could also be the RAM, try booting with just one if it's too many ranks.

jack64

Aug 24, 2023
Just got back from the store and swapped the 2x16 for 2x8 and now it works.. damn it should’ve read @sjoerd’s post it’s right there xD

jit-010101

Oct 31, 2023
Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble getting this board to POST with a PCI-E SATA controller connected?

I purchased a PCI-E SATA controller with the ASM1166 chipset to go in the BKHD-N510X-NAS-I22X (N5105) board, however with the controller present in the PCI-E slot the fans will spin when I power on, but the board will never POST. Removing the SATA controller allows the board to POST perfectly fine.

Maybe I need to change some BIOS settings beforehand?
Could it some how be conflicting with the onboard ASM1166 controller perhaps?

The SATA controller certainly works, my PC can detect it and I even managed to update the firmware on it perfectly fine.
Most likely because the BKHD-N5105-NAS boards do come with ASM1166 controller onboard for the inbuilt ports to begin with, if I were to guess its likely conflicting because there's a second controller now with the same identification. Did you flash the PCIe ASM1166 controller yet to upgrade its firmware?

I just recently modded the bios to enable the PCIe settings, enabled Overclocking/Undervolting (well, turns out at least for me that was quite useless) and enable ASPM (C3->C8 succesfully achieved) - it works flawlessly. Maybe you'll need to change some settings in these menus - I'll shortly release my BIOS-Mod in the Unraid forums once I'm confident everything is ok - theoretically I could also update the microcode and replace the embedded firmware with UBU too but I didn't go that far yet (because there was no need). What I noticed is that even with the original BIOS the board won't boot after a reboot command triggered with the wrong settings enabled ... I guess the BIOS itself could need an update for some things, but these are just minor hiccups - nothing serious that I discovered yet.

This is the manufacturer homepage for your board - there's also the manual and the original bios that the derks at Topton and Kingnovy try to hide from you - DO NOT TRY to flash a CW-Bios because they come with an older SATA-Controller that can't go to C8 ...

Green PCB only -> sold by Kingnovy and Topton alike as their own without the manual

I'm idling at 11.3W right now with 3 HDDs, 2 SSDs connected ...

-----

Word of Warning:

There are no real Topton or Kingnovy NAS-N5105-Boards- they're just shop re-labels!

there are at least TWO hardware variants (with various versions, e.g. 1 or 2x M2 slots or different revisions, but same base hardware) that I've discovered:

1. Black PCB -> CW(WK)-NAS-XXX - JMB585 (limited to C3) -> Changwang: 畅网微控 - 迷你主机&网安工控&NAS存储&工控机&嵌入式主板整机制造厂家

2. Green PCB -> BKHD-NAS-XXX - ASM1166 (old BIOS, ASPM disabled but can go to C8 if you flash a modded BIOS) -> BKHD N5105 1338-NAS

Do not flash the wrong BIOS mindlessly unless you want to be stuck with a Board that doesnt even detect its m2 slot, let alone the SATA-Ports or LAN (if you did - you can restore the original BIOS however)

Last edited: