Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
There is no SAS->SATA translation, so regardless of what connector they tout you can only use SATA drives as there is only a SATA controller.

Reactions: thewisewizard

Xprit

Dec 30, 2023
Hi,

what choice to cool CPU ?

- Noctua NF-A4x10
- Noctua NF-A4x20

- Noctua NF-A6x25

with 3 or 4 pins (pwm) ?

thanks

ToppedOffTon

Jan 2, 2024
After seeing a thread about someone having trouble powering on a Topton mini-PC with a certain SSD I decided to give it another go.
I retried single DIMM A, single DIMM B, dual DIMM, no SSD, SSD in slot 1, SSD in slot 2. Two different sets of DIMMs, two different SSDs.
I plugged in an ethernet cable and have a flashing light on the NIC which I take as a good sign that the board has power. I've tried bridging the pins with a screwdriver instead of using the power switch, but it didn't work.
I've tried shorting JBAT and I've tried leaving the battery out. I appreciate all the suggestions. I've got decades of experience, so I'm either doing something stupid or I have a bad board. At this point I think I'll be waiting until after Chinese New Year to get a new board.
I'm going through exactly this situation right now with a black Topton N5105.

The only thing I haven't tried is different RAM as I don't have any spare on hand. I went with a pair of Crucial 16GB 3200 SODIMM and I've tried single, dual, switching slots, etc. I guess I should pick up a pair of 8s to test but I'm not optimistic. I wish there was a list of compatible RAM to reference!

I'm 2 days past the 15 day protection period so I'm really hoping I'm not out ~$170 for a dead board.. I stupidly ordered the mobo first and had to wait for other pieces to arrive before I could test it out. I've messaged Topton but so far they've only said that I should power the 4pin CPU, which I had done from the start. No response yet to my reply. Did you have any luck with getting a refund and/or replacement offer?

Topton contacted me today and stepped through various steps. Still nothing but spinning fans so they have asked me to send to their facility in UK to determine the issue.
Any update on this?

Xprit

Dec 30, 2023
Hi,

To help I have 2 Kingston KCP432sd8/16(16GB DDR4 3200MT/s Non-ECC Unbuffered SODIMM) in my motherboard n5105

Last edited:
Reactions: ToppedOffTon

ToppedOffTon

Jan 2, 2024
Well, I tossed this together, for anyone who might find it useful. I could have probably found more with a bit more searching but ufortunately for me it looks like more than a couple people are having success with the exact same set of RAM I've got in mine, so my hope that I could solve my problem with different RAM seems dashed.

N6005 Working
2x16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-3200 (@LaunderedShirt)
2x32GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (@zyghom)
2x32GB Samsung DDR4-3200 (@black88mx6)
2x32GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (@sambaum)

N5105 Working
2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws (@jack64)
1x16GB Crucial DDR4-2666 + 1x4GB unnamed stick (@sagarbehere)
2x16GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (@tmoll_ @ghiglie at UNRAID forums, Brian Moses, Wolfgang)
2x32GB Kingston FURY DDR4-3200 (@bouni)
2x16GB HP-branded Hynix DDR4-3200 (@elvis_saya)

N5105 Not Working
2x16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws (@jack64)

Unknown Board - Working
2x16GB Kingston DDR4-3200 (@vvkvvk)

Reactions: Marsh

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
I'm going through exactly this situation right now with a black Topton N5105.

The only thing I haven't tried is different RAM as I don't have any spare on hand. I went with a pair of Crucial 16GB 3200 SODIMM and I've tried single, dual, switching slots, etc. I guess I should pick up a pair of 8s to test but I'm not optimistic. I wish there was a list of compatible RAM to reference!

I'm 2 days past the 15 day protection period so I'm really hoping I'm not out ~$170 for a dead board.. I stupidly ordered the mobo first and had to wait for other pieces to arrive before I could test it out. I've messaged Topton but so far they've only said that I should power the 4pin CPU, which I had done from the start. No response yet to my reply. Did you have any luck with getting a refund and/or replacement offer?

Any update on this?
I sent it back and got a refund for the purchase price. I thought that they were also supposed to refund the cost of shipping it back, but they stopped replying to me so I gave up. I purchased a replacement from CWWK.net that has been working flawlessly.

deepvoyager

Jan 6, 2024
Yes, absolutely you need the 4pin EPS 12v power connector
I received the same board last week, it is working fine with 24 pin atx power connector and 4 pin EPS 12v connector.
Jeezzz.... I have a modular corsair PSU... the CPU cable has 8 pins... how I should plug /find this 4 pin EPS 12v? Thank you.

serpro69

Nov 2, 2022
Could someone suggest me a good modular PSU to use for a NAS build based on the 6005 board?
Preferably one that could support up to 10 HDD drives.

I'm thinking about Corsair RM750x (Shift). I know 750W is going to be an overkill, but found one on sale, so the price isn't more than something similar with 550W or less.

Last edited:

sambaum

Jan 24, 2023
After about one year of 24/7 operation, the CPU fan started make weird/loud noises, like it's about to fail within the next months. So here is my take on the "Noctua fan mod".
Required Equipment:
  • Noctua NF-A6x25
  • Zip ties
  • Thermal paste
  • Screw driver
  • Pliers (to cut the zip ties)
How to: as in the pictures

It's easy to do, it took me about 2h from shutdown to boot, including removing the necessary parts from the chassis, cleaning, etc.

The fan is held in place very firmly. The zip ties on the side are held in place by the outer fins, because they are in the shape of a hook.

As a side-effect, average temperature has also improved. This could be because of the new fan, or because of cooling paste replacement (however, temps were good already before the replacement).
Avg temp before: 38
Avg temp after: 31
(this is regular operation with very light usage, I didn't compare heavy-load temps)

photo_2024-01-26_21-01-12.jpg photo_2024-01-26_21-01-11.jpg photo_2024-01-26_21-01-11-2.jpg photo_2024-01-26_21-01-10.jpg

TobiasT

May 13, 2023
Thank you very much for your input @sambaum.

There are a bunch of

• Noctua NF-A6x25
availible. From the manual, a 4-pin is needed. Is it 12V or 5V? Sorry, too lazy to open the case and to measure.

artorias

May 8, 2022
Turns out I had some time today. Yes the staggered spinup is possible on _all_ SATA ports:
View attachment 25365
Interesting that these boards support staggered spin up. This could mean that their JMB585 firmware/optionROM implements the parts needed to properly integrate the configuration options in a way that's compatible with UEFI HII. Manufacturers rarely bother to do this.

Could anyone here with a MB like this dump the flash chip that's attached to the JMB585 with one of those CH341A programmers? (most likely the one above the heatsink, U29) Make sure to select the correct voltage.

Would be interesting to see if flashing the contents onto another JMB585 board would also make the configuration options show up on other motherboards.

....also interesting: The JMB585 datasheet says:
Supports PCIe link layer power saving mode
That sounds like ASPM to me. Could it be that the manufacturers just forgot to properly configure it in the flash image? Are there any proper datasheets of this controller that document the flash map or controller registers?

Last edited:

all0gic1

Feb 5, 2024
Hi All,

I have the N6005 version of this board with quad 2.5Gb using the Intel 226i with UNRaid, no issues, also using 64GB of RAM.

For all intensive purposes it works, but I now have a 8Gb Fibre and I installed 10Gb Fibre but speeds are somewhat slow.

I see that the

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE, PCIe 2.0 5GT/s] (rev b0)

That tells me that the max I can get due to the limitations of the shared PCI-e bus is 625 MB/s. (I know, new world problems).

But i'd really like to use the full speed of my ISP with this board. Does anyone have any thoughts/ recommendations on how to achieve this?

Many thanks!

all0gic1

Feb 5, 2024
Use a NIC that has a PCIe 3.0 interface which should give you twice the speed
Thanks for the advice.

Do you know if this work?

MCX311A-XCAT - NVIDIA Mellanox

From what I understand even tho this card can perform at X8, so around 7.877GB/s in each direction, however the PCIe slot on the motherboard is 3.0 x1, so only ~1Gbyte/sec, which is fine as I only need a Max of 800MB/s, so in theory it should be ok?