Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Is there any neat way to disable the built-in SATA controller for those C-states to work?

E: yes, disable PCI Root port #2 in BIOS. C-states enabled, the temps went from 50ish to mid-30s. I have no need for SATA drives in my HA/router box.

Last edited:
Reactions: jit-010101

jit-010101

Oct 31, 2023
Is there any neat way to disable the built-in SATA controller for those C-states to work?

E: yes, disable PCI Root port #2 in BIOS. C-states enabled, the temps went from 50ish to mid-30s. I have no need for SATA drives in my HA/router box.
Wow - almost 20 °C difference ... seems like the JMS585 is a pita to skip :p - that fits in line with the report from here under

Power Consumption Puzzles – Swapping from the JMB585 to the ASM1166.

Reactions: vvkvvk

myteriousink

Nov 16, 2023
I also tested SATA 1, still no luck... I will try to use a new USB stick to get a fresh install on my SSD; maybe that works..
I am currently facing a similar problem like you have. I also can see only three out of the six SATA ports in BIOS but one of them is actually working, the other five not so much. I assume this is because one of the SATA ports is connected natively while the other five ports are made available using a bridge.

Do you have in fact a greenish motherboard?
Not sure who makes the green boards but the black boards are almost certain manufactured bij cwwk and the N5101 is this motherboard:
- N5105/N6005 NAS Demon Board / Six SATA3.0/ Dual M.2/ITX/ Four I226-V Nics.
If so, then this will be the correct bios iirc
- 畅网官方网盘

I can confirm I successfully flashed the bios
- https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/topton-nas-motherboard.37979/page-12#post-393396
I have in fact a greenish motherboard but tried flashing the linked BIOS anyways. The drives are still not showing up.

OK, a link to google drive - CW-NAS-N5105-23.4.28.iso (ISO file I got from seller).

A few notes:
  • it has a typo in start script - so if you boot from this ISO, you need to execute flash manually. But if you just need a *.bin file - it's fine, just extract it.
  • I don't know if it makes any difference, but my motherboard is black
This BIOS is sadly also not working. This was expected since it is also for the black version.

Furthermore I tried the BK NVR N5105 which is also not working.

So has anyone found a working BIOS for this greenish board?

Reactions: Maytheforce

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Enabling C-states made my box freeze every 2-3 days. Investigating for a fix, first try is to disable pcie aspm

dimonicukarell

Oct 12, 2023
Here you go. 60mm Noctua fan, fits perfectly, will have to use some doublesided tape or some screws between those fins.
Doing the same.
Tried with 40mm x 10 and 400mm x 20 Noctuas and too small and very low poder (0.48W and 0.6W).
The next bigger is 60mm x 25 and has 1W aprox.

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Do you have the dimensions of the stock heatsink? I'd need them for CAD (cardboard assisted design) template so I could fabricobble together taller heatsink.

E: right above in the posts the black thing is actually a caliper that shows what I need :D:oops:
Did you ever make a new heatsink?

jit-010101

Oct 31, 2023
Furthermore I tried the BK NVR N5105 which is also not working.

So has anyone found a working BIOS for this greenish board?
Well, this looks like a 1:1 copy of the BK NVR - they even use the same secondary identifier on the board. If that's not working I guess you're out of luck - unless you manage to contact the seller and get them to send a bios to you. Are you sure the BK-NVR-N5105 bios didn't work?

Maytheforce

Nov 28, 2023
i am also facing with an issue on BK-NVR-N5105v110, NMVE m2 ssd has not been detected( tried to install the latest BIOS from

and no result, BIOS successufully flashed (thanks a god i find UEFI/FPT/BOOT files in other version of BIOS they forgot to put all these files to the latest zip)

so i sent reqest to Aliexpress supplier cause i saw the comment from somebody who had the same issue but manufacturer shared new BISO which fixed m2 NMVE issue!

upd.

1) all Sata port are visible in the system!!, but in BIOS there are still 3 only and only SATA0 is bootable port, so if you have green BKHD MB and you see only 3 SATA in BISO , dont worry - in OS it works fine.
2) m2 NMVE is still not detected by a system anyway
3) power consumption is shocking 25W idle, 32W when nework+HDD are working (in xpenology CPU load is 6%). it is more then stadrard desctop consume with celeron CPU.

Last edited:

JarkkoV83

Nov 26, 2023
Hi,

I have trouble with power consumption. My system idle's around 50w.

My specs are:
-CW-5105-NAS -board
-Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 -PSU
-Crucial 16GB Sodimm (another stick is comming today)
-Crucial P3 500GB MVMe
-Fractal Desing Node 304 + Original fans & controller (set medium)
-2pcs Exos 7E8 (8TB, mirrored)
-TrueNas Scale
-Only app currently is Jellyfin as mediaserver. (Got HW transcoding working ok)
-Only one ethernet connected @ 1gbit

Seems high, right? My question is what have you done to optimize your setup? I have enabled C-states in bios, that helped few watts (Still 50w). My hdd's are spinning, but that should be around 12-15w max..? So there is 35w still after that.

I'm relative noob in this and this setup is less than week old :D

ra4design

Dec 4, 2023
guys,
is there ANY way to control the CHA_FAN speed? the socket is 3-pin only, right? so not PWM
It is horrible when fans are at 100%
how to?
thx

EDIT:
OK, I went through everything and also asked Topton - the answer is NO.
So I will install my own PWM controller and do it "my way" ;-)

I have the same issue. I built a NAS using the topton board with N6005 chip. Despite the PWM control in the BIOS, you cannot control the fan speed and it's loud as hell (I am using the Jonsbo N1 case).
Were you able to solve the problem?

h0nza

Dec 5, 2023
Recently I got my BK-NAS-N5105 motherboard and one thing confuses me.
Despite the pictures and user manual, there are two additional FAN connectors on the board.
Except that, the MB is exactly the same.
7od5bH8maCkVs5lF.png
Seems like some newer version of the MB?

Tried to connect PWM fan to both connectors, but it runs always at full speed.
And there are no settings in BIOS for these connectors, only for the CPU FAN.
BIOS version in MB is the same as on the manufacturers website.

Anyone here with the same version of the MB? Any idea if these fans can be PWM controlled?
Thanks.

jack64

Aug 24, 2023
omg @youddha you beat me to it. I just found it on my own and damn I'm still within the return window of mine haha this right here is a game changer with the i3-n305.

SpinCykle

Dec 6, 2023
Just gonna put that here: CWWK N100/i3-N305 six-bay NAS monster board/4x 2.5G/6x SATA3.0/2x M.2 NVMe/115X radiator ITX board type motherboard, successor mobo seems to have been released few day ago by CWWK (dec 2023), good news bad news... we will see !
Thank you very much. I've been waiting for this. Quck question for you guys.... Whats the difference in options, NAS Motherboard vs. Cooling Fan? Is the cooling fan option the same HSF option from the previous generations? And is the NAS Motherboard the copper IHS from the pittures? I'm assuming the end user can bring their own HSF to mount to a LGA 115X socket layout?

Last edited:

bouni

Dec 8, 2023
Hi everyone,

I just got my Topton MW-NVR-N5105V10 board from China (Link)
Its equipt with:
  • Kingston FURY SO-DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3200 (2x 32 GB) Dual-Kit
  • 2x Crucial P3 Plus 2TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe
  • 1x Corsair RM650 PSU
I don't have a case yet which is why it lives in a card box for now

IMG_20231208_130125.jpg

I started it up, and ran Memtest86+ as a first thing which resulted in a PASS

Screenshot 2023-12-08 155739.png

But If I now boot from an USB Stick to install a linux, I always get a flickering screen afert a few seconds.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 160039.png

I tried NixOS graphical Installer, NixOS minimal Installer and Arch Linux, all with more or less the same outcome.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

The BIOS is V1.0

IMG_20231208_100117.jpg

I've seen links to BIOS files here in this Thread, but I'm not sure ghoe to install them or if this even is a good idea to do ...

I'm grateful for any kind of help

Edit:

Is this BIOS file the right one for my board? BKHD NVR N5105 NAS MB

Edit #2:

@JuanT Your are a fu** Saint

Disabling SA GV, under Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Memory Configuration fixed the issue!

Screenshot 2023-12-11 130213.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ghiglie and xpc

youddha

Nov 10, 2023
Thank you very much. I've been waiting for this. Quck question for you guys.... Whats the difference in options, NAS Motherboard vs. Cooling Fan? Is the cooling fan option the same HSF option from the previous generations? And is the NAS Motherboard the copper IHS from the pittures? I'm assuming the end user can bring their own HSF to mount to a LGA 115X socket layout?
Hey, @Steffe has created a new discussion dedicated to that board. I replied to your question over there, i had the same question and asked CWWK too

Last edited:

ray85

Dec 17, 2023
@jit-010101 I recently bought the same 5105 nas motherboard and i am currently working on getting the C package states down to C8. I tried flashing the bios you mentioned in your post, namely this one using the instructions given here. Flashing the bios succeeded, however, i am not able to find any ASPM settings in the new bios. The version of the flashed bios reports as: GFJSL-V1.1-R208 and the date 4/20/2023.

signal-2023-12-17-124257_002.jpeg

Is this the correct version? Could you please give me some hints what i am doing wrong and how i would get ASPM working? Thanks a lot!!