SuperMicro X9DRD-7LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

am4593

Feb 20, 2017

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
forgot to mention mine also came with a bios lock password, so had to pull that cmos battery

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
unraid or freenas haven't used either before so it should be fun- first time jumping into the server side- but been playing since apple IIe lol

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Bios password can also be removed by flashing bios even if it's on latest I believe. Just run the command to not preserve the settings.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I want one even more now after reading that. This would be home to my FreeNAS and running a Plex VM. I do hope this comes up again, I've got this thread setup to forward to a text message when its updated haha. :)

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
What SuperMicro chassis is a good fit for this board? I have an older 3U SuperMicro chassis (SC836 model) that I am not using.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
836 works just fine but you'll need a supermicro front panel header extension cable set. The front panel is too far away from the terrible header positioning on the board.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
836 works just fine but you'll need a supermicro front panel header extension cable set. The front panel is too far away from the terrible header positioning on the board.
Do you have a link to the cable? I would like to purchase one today.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
So who is gonna step up and test this with a V2 cpu??
I will as soon as I receive mine. I have a number of spare Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 CPU SR1A8 Processor 2.60GHZ. If anyone is interested, I have some for sell.

Last edited:

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
Does anybody have suggestions for a desktop case? Finding E-ATX cases is easy, but finding one that supports 12" x 13" without issues seems to be a bit more complicated.

Been looking at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, sound dampened case would be preferred though.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'm pretty sure the Fractal R4 can take an E-ATX board but it's not built for it so you might have to do some creative stuff for cable management.

edit: It seems like some of the gaming/workstation E-ATX boards are not true E-ATX dimensions, iirc they're not all 12 x 13 some are like 11 x 12 or something. I actually have a spare Fractal R4 and some 12x13 SuperMicro motherboards I can do a test fit in and let you know.

It's not possible with the R5 AFAIK, because the plane where the motherboard sits is only flat for ATX sizes and below, and the extended area where E-ATX would go is curved upward because of their grommet/cable management design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mkvarner

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
I've read some of the same things. The Define XL R2 should for sure fit though and without having to add any standoffs myself.

Also, about the PCI-e slots. From what I've gathered they are PCIe 3.0 x8. So I could try to open one of the slots to use them with a GPU (1060 most likely) and use it as a workstation/gaming PC?

Should probably have verified that before I bought the board, but if it doesn't fit my needs I could always try to sell it for some profit or get a rackmount case and use it as a server.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I've read some of the same things. The Define XL R2 should for sure fit though and without having to add any standoffs myself.

Also, about the PCI-e slots. From what I've gathered they are PCIe 3.0 x8. So I could try to open one of the slots to use them with a GPU (1060 most likely) and use it as a workstation/gaming PC?

Should probably have verified that before I bought the board, but if it doesn't fit my needs I could always try to sell it for some profit or get a rackmount case and use it as a server.
This board's x8 slots do not have an open end and I don't think the BIOS has options for bifurcation. You would need something like the X9DRE-LN4F.