SuperMicro X9DRD-7LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Received my board today. The exterior Serial/COM port in the back of the unit is damaged. One of the pins has fallen out. Attached is a photo. Hopefully the seller can send me another board.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I don't really get what's so hard for these sellers to properly inspect and pack motherboards. They all seem to do a pretty garbage job. They don't inspect sockets, they don't use wrap that covers the whole board, no ESD bags, etc. Only seller I've ever bought from that does a 100% good job is minos-tech.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I don't really get what's so hard for these sellers to properly inspect and pack motherboards. They all seem to do a pretty garbage job. They don't inspect sockets, they don't use wrap that covers the whole board, no ESD bags, etc. Only seller I've ever bought from that does a 100% good job is minos-tech.
I agree with your comments. The seller did not do a good job in wrapping the motherboard.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Added 2 Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 CPU and 128GB of ECC memory to the motherboard. The mobo powers on inside my Supermicro SC836 chassis, but I can't get the VGA port to work. I check the jumper JPG1 and it is enabled. Anyone else have an issue with the VGA port? Any recommendation on what to try next?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
Anything showing in console preview in ipmi?
Please explain. I have the IPMI port connected to my local LAN. However; I would assume it has been assigned a static IP and not DHCP. How can I find out what the IP address of the IPMI port. Is there some IPMI software from Supermicro I can download?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Added 2 Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 CPU and 128GB of ECC memory to the motherboard. The mobo powers on inside my Supermicro SC836 chassis, but I can't get the VGA port to work. I check the jumper JPG1 and it is enabled. Anyone else have an issue with the VGA port? Any recommendation on what to try next?
That probably means nothing is wrong with VGA and that BIOS is not updated.

In my experience the BIOS on most X9D SM boards come with pretty outdated versions.

Just tested my first board, it works with dual E5-2650L v2 (10 core) CPUs out of the box, having to clear CMOS right now though due to BIOS password.

update/edit: it's on BIOS 3.2, BMC 3.39

update/edit: I' just finished testing another board that works with v2 cpus, and is only on bios 3.0, bmc 3.17

Last edited:
Reactions: pmo

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
How are folks updating the BIOS? In the IPMI GUI, it is asking for a Product Key to update the BIOS.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I posted about a VGA jumper,.didn't see you already tried it. I would try 1 dimm per cpu. Also are you even hearing any of the post beeps?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I posted about a VGA jumper,.didn't see you already tried it. I would try 1 dimm per cpu. Also are you even hearing any of the post beeps?
Yes... I looked at the pins on the VGA jumper. The only beep I hear is the on the initial power on. There are no beeps after that point. I noticed that there are 2 8pin power connectors on the motherboard. The power supply of the SC836 chassis only have 1 8pin power connector. I have that one connected to JPW2. I don't have a power connector connected to JPW3. Is that a problem? If yes, do I need to get splitter? Please advise as I have spent the entire day trouble shooting this motherboard.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
SC836 only having 1 8 pin power connector? That is weird... if that's truly the cast that must be an -extremely- old 836. The last 4 836 I handled all used these boards no problem.