SuperMicro X9DRD-7LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
The above solution fixed my problem... The motherboard is booting up... Wow.. That was challenge.. Glad I googled some more tonight.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Finally some progress. I removed the board from the SC386 chassis and connected the essential cables like and it powers up...

The think the article below explains what is going on. There are probably some standoffs where there shouldn't be, which were shorting out the board.

Supermicro X10DRi-T not POSTing, no beep codes - Motherboards
Had this happen to me on my X9SRL-F board in a sc216 chassis that had standoffs/mount point touching board. Liberal use of electrical tape on all standoffs/mounts resolved my issue as well immediately.

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Had this happen to me on my X9SRL-F board in a sc216 chassis that had standoffs/mount point touching board. Liberal use of electrical tape on all standoffs/mounts resolved my issue as well immediately.
Yeah, that's the problem, and tape isn't 100% solution. Sharp pins from the MB still can reach metal after some time. The best way is to cut all that unnecessary standouts with a drill or dremel and then add some extra as spacers (if needed).

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I've read some of the same things. The Define XL R2 should for sure fit though and without having to add any standoffs myself.

Also, about the PCI-e slots. From what I've gathered they are PCIe 3.0 x8. So I could try to open one of the slots to use them with a GPU (1060 most likely) and use it as a workstation/gaming PC?

Should probably have verified that before I bought the board, but if it doesn't fit my needs I could always try to sell it for some profit or get a rackmount case and use it as a server.
I have a spare SM E-ATX board that I tried to fit in it, a standard 12 x 13 board I don't see how it would fit in this case. Some of the gaming/enthusiast grade E-ATX boards are not the full 12x13 standard which would explain how they just barely work.

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
When I initially received it, I popped in a 2620v2 and post all is well fine and good.

So time to scour Fleabay , of which I haven't but 2 times ever.

Got 2 E5-2670v2 for $340 YES I laid too darn much but it was worth it just to have the wife stop asking me if I found a good deal etc...

So now I fire it up and get sqiggely things on the monitor- using vga port- so removed cpu2 to get a better look at vga port from the back side and the fan wires literally feel off in my hands. So here is my picture of the day..lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
sorry did that from phone- this is the solder pads for the vga connector- not even ISO 9001 - expensive board bullshit soldering

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
Touched your. With a dab of flux and a much of solder, reflowed and seems good. Not even close to mil spec though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
FWIW -
I bought two of these from this vendor and finally got to testing them out this week. They weren't packed particularly great (just wrapped in some antistatic bubble wrap in box with packing peanuts) and one had a bent fan header (I just bent it back). One board had the Dynatron heatsinks as shown in the pictures, but the other had what I'm guessing are the Supermicro heatsinks (with fan). Whoever pulled the previous CPUS didn't do the best job removing the thermal paste from the board/heatsinks.

One board seems to be fine (boots to a password protected BIOS prompt), but the other wouldn't post (fans go, beep, 3-4 seconds, shutsdown, repeats) with no VGA output. I could actually connect to the IPMI and updated it, but nothing from the board itself. I figured maybe I had the same problem mentioned above with some MB standoffs shorting the board, so I tried removing it from the case, different PSU, RAM, CPU, etc. V1 and V2 CPUs, no dice. I couldn't see any visible defects or damage (although this was the one that had the bent fan header when it arrived). Since using the exact same parts worked in one of the motherboards but not the other, I finally figured it is bad and request a return from the seller. To the seller's credit he did issue a refund within a minute or two of my request.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
but the other wouldn't post (fans go, beep, 3-4 seconds, shutsdown, repeats) with no VGA output. I could actually connect to the IPMI and updated it, but nothing from the board itself. I figured maybe I had the same problem mentioned above with some MB standoffs shorting the board, so I tried removing it from the case, different PSU, RAM, CPU, etc. V1 and V2 CPUs, no dice. I couldn't see any visible defects or damage (although this was the one that had the bent fan header when it arrived). Since using the exact same parts worked in one of the motherboards but not the other, I finally figured it is bad and request a return from the seller. To the seller's credit he did issue a refund within a minute or two of my request.
You may have already returned the board so below is a moot point for you. May help others who like to get a partial credit and keep the board.

If you have a PCIe 1x VGA, disable the onboard video and try that way.
I had issues with exact board from a different seller listed as is. No visible damage but both IPMI & VGA we're hosed. Disabled both and used Add on VGA to update the BIOS and SAS FW. I couldn't update the IPMI. This board only has PCIe x8. Everything else tested fine

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: laserpaddy