Xyratex SBB enclosures and compatible controllers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I've seen some newer versions of it to run a bit more stuff, a bit more energy efficient - new line of Seagate controllers, but can't find them on ebay anymore
There's AP-LS-1 (2011-3 socket) HPE SSU R6F81A AP-LS-1 Cray Controller 12Gbs SMU E5-2618LV 64GB P/N: 1100644-01 | eBay
and threre are newer Epyc based modules which did not make it to ebay yet

But for basic file sharing I'd still prefer SATIT2's sub $100 price tag. I used it with truenas, proxmox, xpenology, napp-it, you name it. It just worked.

Also if you just want a SAS3 EBOD - get something like this HP 756487-001 Array 12GB SAS IO Module for 3PAR 8000 QR491-63004 / 0996218-04 | eBay
IOM12 at $200ea is not a good deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tux and necr

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Reactions: mr44er

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Yes, I saw that. To my surprise very inexpensive...maybe I'll upgrade in the near future.
Anyway I didn't plan in buying right now or a whole package, because I already have a zombie setup running (NetApp DS4243 with 6G Dell canister) smooth since late 2018. No problems at all, no beeps, no fan terror and because of this I didn't touch anything related to firmware.

JD001

May 2, 2022
Hi! I got some NetApp DS4243/4246 (and one Fujitsu DX80 S2) with IOM6 controllers in them. They're all on different firmware versions. Could anyone tell me how to update them to the most current firmware?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
@JD001 You need to figure out what IOM6 they are. Netapp (QSFP+), Compellent (SFF8088 SAS), SimpleStor (with Xeon CPU, LSI 2308 and a ConnectX3) etc. Pair the same hardware on each shelf. Do not mix.

FWDownloader should work with IOM6.0191.SFW as firmware just the same. Or sg_write_buffer. Check with lsscsi -g what sgX device you need and what firmware is really running. If it says 191 on Netapp IOM6 it is already the latest. Don't touch.

Enclosure has a midplane (big PCB with holes for airflow) where controller canisters and disks meet. Has a CPLD logic chip on it, which has a kind of firmware. Probably version 08 or 10. Don't touch. Even if there is a HPE 3Par OS V18 CPLD file. Same with PCM, power and cooling modules. There is a bunch of different hardware PCM versions, 580W, HE-580W (more efficient, 80 Plus Gold), and also higher wattages, some have V2 as version. Some need Main/DSP firmware i.e. two parts. If you have 580W PCMs at 3.11 good enough. Don't touch and as with canisters, do not mix.

Finally there is one more application processor in a DS4243/DS4246 canister, a PowerPC running Linux. Haven't tried to update it, latest is ACP-IOM6.0210.AFW from a ZIP called "all_shelf_fw.zip". You can binwalk the binary and unpack it. I think update is also via sg_write_buffer. See if you can spot an ACP device from sg_ses when connected to the Netapp. Try FWDownloader on it. Some strings suggest it might also try to TFTP transfer the image from a non-standard port. Otherwise ignore. You'll find out nothing about "ACP" from Netapp or elsewhere. Totally proprietary. And they moved to inband SES which is standardized. And which is pretty much enough for everything.

Last edited:

JD001

May 2, 2022
@Stephan Oh man, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

They are all Netapp with QSFP+ ports, except two of them which are Fujitsu (at least they came in a Fujitsu DX80 S2 shelf), but also with QSFP+ ports.

191 is the latest? Some of them are on 191, but I found documents from NetApp talking about 211 for IOM6 (not the ACP).

Any idea where to get the latest all_shelf_fw.zip? I've been looking for that for days now. I've seen plenty of documents saying "download it at NetApp" but I can't find it there. Or generally, the firmware files you mentioned. Is there a site where I can get them all?

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
It's all behind the walls of their for-pay walled garden. I have no source for a 211. Can you link the document?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
There was a 2.11 for IOM3, did you confuse this with IOM6 perhaps?

Here is a linux version of fwdownloader (scroll to bottom): Document Display | HPE Support Center

You have to unpack the rpm. The getstatus binary has a slight bug, it tries to call "usleep 100 ; rm -f" which doesn't exist on Arch. You can binary patch it to "sleep 0.1 ; rm -f" (two spaces before the semicolon) to do about the same. Otherwise it leaves files laying around in /tmp. Although one has to ask why the binary doesn't just call libc functions for this, instead of executing a shell command. getstatus is more accessible to list components of enclosures than perhaps sg_ses.

Sources of firmware are the mentioned Microsoft StorSimple USM 3.38 from the update catalog. Of value is the XF001 midplane V10, should you ever need to upgrade or downgrade. But like I said, don't touch if you are not 110% certain you need a known bug fixed. Also has version 3.11 for the original DS4246 580W PCMs. StorSimple only has two PCMs, but you can binary-diff the files and only two bytes differ, so in theory you could extend these to four PCMs by counting them up +1 and +2. Again, would only ever upgrade to pull a downlevel component up to a certain revision.

Lenovo has lnvgy_fw_storage_d12xx.d3284-5.2.0.174_windows_x86-64.zip (simple login suffices) for their D1212 etc. Inside is a Python 2.7 "Py2Exe" Windows binary. Extract with GitHub - extremecoders-re/pyinstxtractor: PyInstaller Extractor also using Python 2.7. You will find many firmware components for things like PCM, midplane, sideplane, fans and also the SAS canisters. Again, would only ever upgrade with one of these files if you have hardware which you know came from such a Lenovo device. If you look into an update file, it usually starts with GEMF and in bytes 12-16 there is an identifier. If you try to cross-flash something that doesn't match what you have, you are sniffing into hard-brick land... unfortunately you can't usually use sg_read_buffer to dump firmware and check the identifier, so you need to look into the firmware file that was originally flashed into the component you want to update.

Finally there is HPE with deep-EOL 3PAR StoreServ 7000 which had the M6720. Another Xyratex 24 LFF 4U type shelf. Word on the street is you couldn't even get an update like HPE_3PAR_INFORM_OS_RLS_3.3.2_QR482-11525.iso from them if you paid them. Assuming you are or were a paying subscriber, and lucky, you could unpack the file until you find some .deb files titled *ebodfw*.deb. Contains an XF001 V18 midplane update, presumably for newer PCMs and the later 12G canisters. The file ebod.cfg shows what needs to be done in theory. DS4246 is their DCS1 while I think the DS2246 is their DCS2. Look for "curr_gen=1" in the relevant section to see the latest revisions. Again, would only ever use these if you had that exact hardware from surplus or your employer's recycling bin. Lenovo talks about "regular" and "flip-flop" and 3Par about "alternate mapping" and I have no idea if that could be compatible with a DS4246.

All in all I suggest you use the getstatus or sg_* utilities to check if the shelf has consistent firmware revisions in all components, sensors are all green and then just use it as-is.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Any idea where to get the latest all_shelf_fw.zip?
It's a mistake to rely on Google or Bing. They royally fscked their search product and it's only good now to look for new pictures with Ines Sainz or dead billionaires in imploded submarines. Also heavily censored. Try yandex.com and look for words all_shelf_fw mirror. First hit.

JD001

May 2, 2022
Thanks again, that is a lot of information to process.

This is the document where 211 is mentioned as expected output after firmware update on IOM6:

Also, if you search on google for "IOM6.0211.SFW" there is actually one hit, but the site is down :(

Well, I found exactly that link to all_shelf_fw.zip already, even using Google :D but it's 191. I'll keep on trying to find that 211 somewhere, but if I don't find anything in the next days, I'll update all to 191...

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
> Shelf 1: IOM6 Firmware rev. IOM6 A: 0211 IOM3 B: 0211

This looks to me like doctored output by a documentation writer. Can't be sure 100% but close imho.

Edit: And I was wrong.

Last edited:

JD001

May 2, 2022
I thought that's a possibility, yes, but then I found that site having "IOM6.0211.SFW.zip " listed with some other NetApp updates, which makes me believe it really exists...

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
I searched through my archives, IOM6.0191.SFW should be the latest.
There is a IOM3.0212.SFW and the IOM12 had updates over v200.

To update the canister sg_ses is better suited, sg_write_buffer more for disks.
You can try smartctl -x /dev/sg$ to check the firmware of the canister, it's only difficult to see which /sg isn't a disk

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
So I browsed through IBM's N3000 SAN updates because the EXN3000 is yet another Xyratex OEM in the style of a DS4246, but with an IBM-typical honeycomb bezel. And there, too, 0191 is the last version. Would be atypical for IBM imho to leave any update out.

For the ACP aka "alternate control path" PowerPC Linux on Netapp's DS4246 canisters you can find source code on Index of /. Out of interest I downloaded the u-boot and kernel patches. The NetApp-parts are mostly closed-source. Still, it's one of the cleaner embedded PPC Linux adaptations that I have seen. By 2017/2018 all development had ceased, after around 10 years.

Here in 2023 the product and tech is 10+ years old, but I think very very solid for 3.5" LFF SATA/SAS drives if you want to run more than a handful and can stomach the utility bill. Or have solar and maybe a battery for the night.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

JD001

May 2, 2022
I started updating them to 191. You're probably right, but still, there is this file... I think it's possible NetApp just supported the IOM6 longer than IBM and other manufacturers. I'll keep looking and will report back if I find something... Thanks again for the help!

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
The date inside the archive files I have ranges from 2016 to 2020 and the highest version for IOM6 is always v191

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
The cousin of my wife’s best friends mother in law does have access to latest NetApp „all enclosures firmware“ zip. And you are right, there is a >200 for IOM6 included.

There is a "IOM6.0211.SFW" from June 24th 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephan

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
@mrpasc Can you find out also what issue was fixed? Gut says timer overflow somewhere in ThreadX if you run a canister for 8+ years without rebooting. Because why would you. Xyratex really was 10 years ahead of the game with their enclosure technology, and Netapp engineering quality then put a bunch of cherryies on top of the cake.