X9DRD-EF dual e5-2620 supermicro server 4x 3.5" caddy and power supply $300 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
That's worth it just for the mainboard. But of course, they don't ship to Switzerland (grumble!).
Have you considered using a freight forwarder in USA?
You can get a USA address and forward goods to you?
(Could mean extra in shipping costs (2 shipments to get to you) and make returns difficult/expensive when purchasing stuff overseas?)

Freight forwarding services to Australia

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I definitely waited until my offer was accepted before posting here and let the seller know they would all be gone within a number once I had posted here.
Every 4-8 months someone here feels the need to either share this forum with sellers on ebay or negotiate with an ebay seller on behalf of the forum, and then come here and tell us about the deal we can now buy. Stop. We do not appreciate this. Those of us who buy in qty, and some here buy in LARGE qty. we do not need nor-want you negotiating or putting ideas in sellers heads that more buyers are on the way for your negotiated price. Most often what people negotiate then share on the forum are more than others can negotiate down when buying qty.

Buy for yourself.
Put your offer in and share when you feel appropriate.
Please do not let sellers know you are going to "send them buyers" or you know of a website with "lots of buyers" :)

May 10, 2016
My apologies, I did not mean to overstep my bounds. I do not have any affiliation with the seller, I did not provide specifics or name the site, I simply mentioned that they were very courteous to work with and had some great deals and I would be happy to recommend them to others I knew in the market for these after I'd negotiated my purchase.

I did not attempt to negotiate for you, though was happy to share what I had negotiated with the forum.
I did not insinuate a price that these would sell for.

I will attempt to avoid any imprudence you have described in the future.

In the future I may suggest taking a bit friendlier tone when addressing this and avoiding making sweeping generalizations when addressing this, but I understand people getting a bit sensitive when they believe that their own bottom line may be at stake.

My mention was merely an attempt to be friendly and reciprocate for the great response, pleasant buying experience and great deals, not to immune the ability of any others to negotiate for themselves. I hope that it has not adversely affected the deals that you receive(d).

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
While I quoted you based on what you said the post really is for everyone. I appreciate the feedback, and will try to tone it down in the future :)
No hard feelings here, I didn't mean to offend just inform and educate everyone going forward.

May 10, 2016
No worries, no offense taken just wanted to clarify that I recommended this more as someone says they'll recommend a restaurant and hypothesizes the food is so good they'll likely have many reservations that evening.

And, I also understand that my post did not convey the events exactly as they had occurred in an attempt to keep things somewhat short and with an element of humor.

Again, no worries. I hope to find a deal this great again to share with the forum.

Reactions: Jaket and T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That sucks :( I have ~20% it seems I have gotten them like that out of well over 2 dozen chassis in last 2 years, #1 most common issue with shipping a chassis... even in the OEM box the rack ears MUST come off :( ugh!!!

"good" sellers or in reality the ones who've had the problem a ton will now unscrew them and lay them on the sides at-least!!!

Ugh, hope mine are ok.

How many did you order @tby total?

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Good shippers use foam. If the server can move around within the box, doesn't matter what it's wrapped in, whatever protrudes is gonna get bent.

It got clocked hard enough to bend the backplane and give me trouble removing the trays. Can't get the left one out but maybe if I can unscrew it...

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I also had problems when ordering PSU for C6100.
The circuit board protrudes out the rear where it connects with the chassis to send power got bent cos seller only used bubble wrap, no foam.

Forum pic 2.jpg

Attachments

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
My 3 came mostly unscathed, 2 had minor bending on the rails 1 was near perfect. All 3 boot without issue and it's actually fairly quiet.

Max db during spinnup tests was 74db with idle around 52db (tested via an iphone 7+, ambient temp is pretty hot as well. likely around 79f), not the most accurate but will give people an idea. Current config is the 2 x 2620 procs and 32GB of ram.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I got my package of 3 yesterday, I need to open it up!
Seller has been very responsive, and quick to reply!!! I'll buy from again assuming my items are "OK" when I open it up!!!

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
I try to avoid opening packages at the border because I don't want the additional hassle from the guards regarding open boxes.

I find it's much cheaper to not even bring things into Canada if they look questionable. Got burnt a few times, now I just open everything and give it a good eyeballing before heading back over the line. Getting refunds on duties/taxes is such a hassle.

Course it helps to have an understanding package receiving joint whose owner is more than willing to hold shit until you get a return label and will even arrange the pickup of the return with the parcel carrier.

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Thanks forroden, some valid points.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't honestly. In Ontario they gave me shit about opening boxes, in BC they give me shit about not opening them. So much so that I've spent a few hours of my life watching them literally cut open everything I bring over. If your shit ain't ruined in shipping that's a fun way have it get smashed, and good luck getting compensation for that without somehow ending up on their permanent shit list.

I'm more partial to opening stuff because of that. All it takes is one box with the wrong stuff inside and a picky border guard to get you in some serious shit. The "honestly I didn't know what was in this box I'm bringing in from another country, I trusted the seller who I've never met to put the right product that I've never seen in person in there" line has approximately a 0% chance of ending well.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Opened up my 3 today (in 1 large box). They were all separately bubble wrapped, and had paper around the sides/edges. One had rack ears removed, other 2 were on. 1 chassis rack ears were clearly visible and pushing on the bubbles, a wrong drop could have damaged them.

Visually all 3 chassis are in fine condition.

Next up adding RAM and booting them up.

The E3 v1 are smaller chassis, and they do have IPMI but the PSU/PDB doesn't have the management/monitoring cable to plug into the motherboard, so you're limited on what you can do with IPMI sadly on those smaller chassis. On one the management network port isn't even knocked out! On the E3 v2 chassis (larger) the management cable wasn't plugged in, but there, I plugged it in. I'll likely swap them into a SM SC216 w/out caddys I have sitting around, a bit more room, quieter fans, and I can add PCIE devices, and use the expander backplane should I want to add more drives.

I'm happy with my purchase so far... if all works perfect will be very happy :)