X10SRL-F bad RAM slot or defective CPU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Phlesh -- Nope, did not. I chalked it up to something wrong with the CPU or motherboard trace design for that slot. I tried two X10SRH type boards and had the same results. That same CPU and X10SRH has been running rock-solid since April 2020 @ 2133 MHz, haha!
have you by chance cleaned the slot and edgeconnector on the stick?

Phlesh

Sep 11, 2021
@RageBone Yeah, tried that. I feel pretty certain now that I have a BIOS version problem. Trouble is that I only have a v4 CPU and this board (I think) is wanting a v3 CPU to even POST.

Anybody know how to flash a BIOS on the board using IPMI... if you don't have access to the BIOS to reset IPMI? :)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
throw metasploit at it and hope it finds something that gets you access?
Maybe guess or remember the creds?
There is no ResetBMC Settings button / jumper ...

The nuclear option is an external flasher, for both, BMC and bios

Phlesh

Sep 11, 2021
throw metasploit at it and hope it finds something that gets you access?
Maybe guess or remember the creds?
There is no ResetBMC Settings button / jumper ...

The nuclear option is an external flasher, for both, BMC and bios
What do you mean by that final option? I'm not familiar.

Phlesh

Sep 11, 2021
Follow up question - any way to force at least the IPMI dedicated port to reset whatever static IP/DHCP settings it has on it? I need to at least get it connected to a switch and see it request an IP, and right now it's not even doing that.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I've historically had some pcie and ram issues upon installing new cpu, so it always turned out there was either bad contact or maybe some dust. i would remove cpu, blow some canned air over the socket, reseat the cpu and it worked from there on. if cleaning ram slot/pcie slot didn't solve the issue first of course.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
What do you mean by that final option? I'm not familiar.
Well, you can get a flash tool like a ch341a and directly flash the eeproms FW is stored on.
It is the nuclear option because it ignores the rest and directly writes to the eeproms.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
You know, I was having memory and crash problems, and I was completely unaware that I could view my multi-bit ECC error messages in the bio's SMBIOS event log.

It was tremendously helpful that it actually called out individual sockets.

In my case (4 days testing) it actually looks like I had two bad DIMMs. I removed them and rearranged the other DIMMS and haven't had any more messages yet.

BUT, the underside of one of my CPUs (the other CPU) was dirty anyway.

Also, I also have standoffs that don't fit. They can't remove from the case easily, so i've been "insulating" with electrical tape on top before putting the board on. I hope that's good enough.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Also, I also have standoffs that don't fit. They can't remove from the case easily, so i've been "insulating" with electrical tape on top before putting the board on. I hope that's good enough.
well, it can be enough, BUT if there are SMD components between board and standoff, that is a Big BIG NOPE.
Get a Dremel and remove those standoffs!

Which case is it?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I am having the same issue right now (hang at B7). The board (X9Dri-LN4F) works fine with 128g (8g sticks) but won't boot with the last 8 DIMM installed. I didn't know I can look at the error on the BIOS log. Can I get to this log via IPMI?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
CPU type RAM type please.
View attachment 21382Memory population
I know about the DIMM map. My issue is this: The motherboard has 24 DIMM slots. If I use 16 slots (128 gig) then everything works fine. If I populate all 24 slots (192 gig) then it won't boot with the B7 error. Anything configuration between 16 and 24 slots also didn't work.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
They are all the same type 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R Hynix HMT31GR7CFR4A-PB
then your (unknown) CPU probably does not support 6 Ranks(only up to 4 ranks)
another reason can be the frequency setting.
before populating the last 8 DIMMs, set Memory frq. to AUTO and enable Enforce POR in the BIOS.
if you don't find POR set the memory frq. to 1066Mt

D

Deleted member 28354

So I have the same issue, I get "Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found) DIMMA1" on a SuperMicro X11SPM-F
Is driving me NUTS :( I tried everything suggested here but no luck.

Here is what I have and what I did so far.

The board is brand new with the latest BIOS - SuperMicro X11SPM-F
I have 2 Xeon Gold 6148 and I tried them both, same error. I did clean the CPU's contacts as well just in case
I have 6 x 32GB sticks of Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6E1 and the CPU supports this memory

Here is what I did so far:
  1. So on the screen I get "Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found) DIMMA1" in both DIMMA1 and DIMMB1
  2. In the Health Event LOgs in IMPI I get "Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found). (DIMMA1) - Assertio and Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found). (DIMMB1) - Assertion
  3. Cleaned both CPU's and test each one of then, same error on the same memory banks A and B
  4. I tried changing frequency settings from auto to 2666 but still same issue.
  5. I moved the memory sticks around the error does not follow the memory.
  6. I reset the BIOS and still no luck.
  7. The motherboard is not in the case so nothing touching or shorting the bottom like in same cases here.
I have no idea what else to try. Could it be the CPU? I have 2 of them , I doubt it.
Could it be the memory? I doubt it, because if I moved the sticks around various banks and the error does not follow the memory stick
Could it be the board? Is brand new.

Please help :)

DIMMA-B1-ERRORS.JPG

Attachments

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Try running your ram manually at 2400 and then drop down to 2133, etc. and see if that helps. I have a X10 E5-2600 v4 board that, even though everything says it should run my ram at 2400, it just refuses and gives that same error you’re receiving. I think something in the quality or length of the memory traces back to the CPU in the mother board are right at the limit and decreasing the frequency helps clean up those signals and stops the errors. Aggravating yes, but with dual CPU, and 8 to 12 ranks of ram, you shouldn’t notice much of a difference. Worth a shot.