WTB: cheapest pair of E5-2600 v3 CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I need a pair of Xeon v3 CPUs to test some dual socket system boards. Looking for cheapest option. On eBay, I found some E5-2603 v3 for about $88. No ES or QS please. PM me with what you have to offer. Thanks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Would v1 work? I have 2 that have some resistors knocked off that if you can repair I'll let go for cheap. I have the resistors too so it's just a matter of knowing someone that can do it.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
haha no probs, but it was just a big surprise you can do maintenance on resistors but don't know basic xeon generations! I am sure you are an interesting person :)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux i'm in a similar situation. Is it a one time thing for you or do you need to test dual boards more often ?

Depending on your location, we could combine efforts.
why the dislike of ESS / QS ?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux i'm in a similar situation. Is it a one time thing for you or do you need to test dual boards more often ?

Depending on your location, we could combine efforts.
why the dislike of ESS / QS ?
It might be a one time thing for now, but probably would be a good idea to have a set of CPU+RAM to test system boards in my lab. How do you suggest to combine efforts? I'm in southern CA...

avoiding ES/QS in case there are incompatibility issues; would rather eliminate any "other" factors to consider when testing equipment.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i would love to have a set of cheap v3 cpu with ram to test MB as well.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux damn I'm in Europe so sending a cpu over just for some time isn't an option.
And since that is a different market, there is no line, or you could say that they are parallel ; )

if you "hunt" such 2603 / 2609 s, you should maybe be able to get them below 60$, missed out on two who went for around 50€ this weekend.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
yeah, i was hoping that maybe someone bought a Xeon v3 system with a low-end CPU and upgraded and had the low end CPU sitting in a box they wanted to free up. i guess with DDR4 prices being where they are, the abundance of cheap v3/v4 or newer parts are just not there... for the price of a E5-2603 v3, i can get a E5-2680 (v1), the later being the better value...

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
haha no probs, but it was just a big surprise you can do maintenance on resistors but don't know basic xeon generations! I am sure you are an interesting person :)
I can't do anything with soldering and resistors at that level (but know some basics), and these processors are changing all the time! I remember a point where I kept up with every 486 generation that came out and their specs, and I still know all these--but for the modern stuff I always have to look up stuff on passmark or cpuworld. :oops:

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I can't do anything with soldering and resistors at that level (but know some basics), and these processors are changing all the time! I remember a point where I kept up with every 486 generation that came out and their specs, and I still know all these--but for the modern stuff I always have to look up stuff on passmark or cpuworld. :oops:
no worries, i too, find Intel's CPU naming scheme asinine. there are a bunch of details you have to look at carefully, low core/high freq. vs high core/lower freq, number of PCI-E lanes, supported memory, turbo capability, etc. much of this is not apparent by the naming scheme. The only thing that makes sense to me in their naming scheme is the number of sockets (1xxx, 2xxx, 4xxx) and the sandy/ivy/haswell/broadwell ("",v2,v3,v4). Not really clear on the 2nd digit (x2xx,x4xx,x6xx) yet, and definitely not clear about the last 2 digits if it isn't a multiple of 10. Oh, and I get the "L" for the limited TDP. the desktop CPUs are even more confusing to me, and you can forget about the mobile/laptop CPUs...

Reactions: Samir

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
v3 and v4 non es qs cpu price are just outrageous!
Ya you need to be on your alerts and even then the real deals are mostly lucky auctions only. I picked up 2 E5-2643 v3's recently in auction for $150 each, but I had been looking for deals for a while before that.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@Aestr : were those OEM/Retail or QS chips? I won an auction for QHVD for $165 recently but have not seen Retail/OEM chips that low. Interestingly this seller out of Houston where I got my CPU now has Xeon Gold / Silver QS chips. The sharpie marking was one of HP blade. Reading between lines, guessing where he works there or has some connections up Cypress :)

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
well, i was able to pickup a pair of E5-2603 v3 for $120 (so $60 each) with a BO on eBay. $60 could get me a E5-2670 (v1), so it's not great value bang for buck wise, but I hope it'll allow me to test out the motherboard I got. Then it's a waiting game until v3 CPUs and DDR4 come down a little more.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Well, crap, the seller just cancelled my order and said they couldn't locate the CPUs. :-/

Back to square one...