WTB: cheapest pair of E5-2600 v3 CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux if you take a look at the block diagram of the MD70 again, you will see that the Chipset DMI is directly connected to cpu0.
There is no connection at all from chipset to cpu1 so no way of posting or booting or anything without cpu0.

And thank you for pointing out the the Nics are bound to cpu2. I cant think of any good reason why that'd be even reasonable, but i digress.
So You and i need an extra nic if we want to run single socket which i think you were after testing that it works.

The PCIe Layout is only partially garbage though :D

And i thought my MD70 was dead for a moment, turns out, didn't like my trusty old test psu.
So, picky with psus it seems.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah, that's why i figure these dual socket MB won't boot without cpu in the first socket and thats the explanation.... making it completely necessary to have two cpu to test both sockets.

That gigabyte board looks really nice... seems to be loaded with goodies.... definitely seems like a better board than the asus z10pe-d16ws board i have.... does it play nice with qs/es cpu though?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux if you take a look at the block diagram of the MD70 again, you will see that the Chipset DMI is directly connected to cpu0.
There is no connection at all from chipset to cpu1 so no way of posting or booting or anything without cpu0.

And thank you for pointing out the the Nics are bound to cpu2. I cant think of any good reason why that'd be even reasonable, but i digress.
So You and i need an extra nic if we want to run single socket which i think you were after testing that it works.

The PCIe Layout is only partially garbage though :D

And i thought my MD70 was dead for a moment, turns out, didn't like my trusty old test psu.
So, picky with psus it seems.
you're right. i hadn't noticed that when i first looked at it. ok then, well, a pair of throw away v3 Xeons it is then... geez. although this motherboard was a good deal, just testing it is going to cost me. LOL but i guess it's not a bad idea to have a pair of test CPUs in my lab. still, DDR4 prices haven't dropped enough, and DDR3 prices have bounced up a little recently, so not sure if DDR4 will continue to drop...

in my case, at some point, when v3/v4 CPUs are cheap enough, i plan to run dual socket.... most of my life has been dual socket, so why stop now? :p My first dual socket was a Pentium Pro workstation, but my current workstation is a i7-5960x, so I really need to go back to dual sockets. Plus, both my kids have dual socket workstations too.