WTB: cheapest pair of E5-2600 v3 CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
:( They probably want to relist and try to sell at higher price
i don't know, but if they do, their re-list will show up in my search alert! :)

that's quite a lame excuse ...
yeah... and now i'm a bit worried, as in the other Xeon D board thread, the seller I got the Xeon v3 motherboards doesn't seem to have a good rep of selling working boards. I'm ever more anxious to get the components I need to test those boards now...

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux what board and if you have problems pm me, i might be able to help repairing or debugging it.

Though i wouldn't really risk known good cpus with that, i do have a few "dead" ones for the initial "is this safe?" test.

Last edited:

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux what board and if you have problems pm me, i might be able to help repairing or debugging it.

Though i wouldn't really risk known good cpus with that, i do have a few "dead" once for the initial "is this safe?" test.
@RageBone thanks for the offer. They are Gigabyte MD70-HB0 boards. They review on this board here at STH seem really positive. It also seem like a good board not just for server, but workstation build. I was thinking of replacing my ASRock X99EX11 with this dual socket system, once I find the CPUs I want and the DDR4. But for now, I just want to be able to test it and know it works.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux luckily i do have that exact same board.

Sadly mine is still a bit disabled.

Gigabyte made the interesting design decision to put blocking fets infront of every powersupply voltage rail.
Those unblock once 5V standby is supplied.

On mine, there was a bad cap, shorting 12V EPS to ground on the CPU2.
That somehow killed a few of those fets, taking 5V standby and 5V rail with them down to hell, ehem ground i mean.
Somehow a 5v standby connection broke / burned through and 5Vsb rail from the the 24Pin ATX connector doesn't reach the system.

My fix was to run a wire from that 5vsb 24Pin all the way around the board to a place where there should be 5vsb on a pinheader.
And now it works again.

Only thing still refusing to cooperate is the ipmi, could be a software setting problem, but i havn't debugged that jet, and the 10GbE, it gets hot a s hell but won't appear in lspci and on the network.
Only one port lights up, but no luck on that one too.

Maybe, something killed that controller.

So in any case, i have reference.
And yes the board is a nice one. Even without the burnmarks and the cable. ; )

Reactions: BLinux

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i don't know, but if they do, their re-list will show up in my search alert! :)

yeah... and now i'm a bit worried, as in the other Xeon D board thread, the seller I got the Xeon v3 motherboards doesn't seem to have a good rep of selling working boards. I'm ever more anxious to get the components I need to test those boards now...
i have 2 v3 boards that haven't tested yet. just can pray for them are working fine. :/

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux luckily i do have that exact same board.

Sadly mine is still a bit disabled.

Gigabyte made the interesting design decision to put blocking fets infront of every powersupply voltage rail.
Those unblock once 5V standby is supplied.

On mine, there was a bad cap, shorting 12V EPS to ground on the CPU2.
That somehow killed a few of those fets, taking 5V standby and 5V rail with them down to hell, ehem ground i mean.
Somehow a 5v standby connection broke / burned through and 5Vsb rail from the the 24Pin ATX connector doesn't reach the system.

My fix was to run a wire from that 5vsb 24Pin all the way around the board to a place where there should be 5vsb on a pinheader.
And now it works again.

Only thing still refusing to cooperate is the ipmi, could be a software setting problem, but i havn't debugged that jet, and the 10GbE, it gets hot a s hell but won't appear in lspci and on the network.
Only one port lights up, but no luck on that one too.

Maybe, something killed that controller.

So in any case, i have reference.
And yes the board is a nice one. Even without the burnmarks and the cable. ; )
LOL.. that is so not what I need to hear. Can't you just tell me that the MD70-HB0 board is bulletproof? that you once got struck by lightning and everything burned, except the MD70-HB0 board was spotless and booted up with a dead CPU while you were still feeling a bit tingly? That's the confidence inspiring stories I want to hear right now... :p

Reactions: RageBone

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@RageBone question for you: do you think it would be enough and/or possible, to test each CPU socket individually? i'm wondering if I can get by with just buying 1x E5-26xx v3 CPU for testing... and just test 1 CPU socket at a time. I will have 1 stick of DDR4 and I'm planning to test it on each DIMM slot per socket.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux Oh, how did you know i was once hit by lighning ? Holding the Boaard, while it booted a dead CPU with power from the event?
Did burn my hand though, the cpu got very hot very fast. Didn't have a heatsink on.

By the way, has anyone seen my 2618Lv3 ? must have put it somewhere i can't find it any more.

I obviously like the board, its a good board !

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
@RageBone question for you: do you think it would be enough and/or possible, to test each CPU socket individually? i'm wondering if I can get by with just buying 1x E5-26xx v3 CPU for testing... and just test 1 CPU socket at a time. I will have 1 stick of DDR4 and I'm planning to test it on each DIMM slot per socket.
i don't know if you can boot it up with cpu only in socket 2.... usually if you have 1 cpu it has to be in socket 1....

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@BLinux well, i havn't tried it with a single cpu and only the second socket populated.
Well, i cant test it on the Md70 since the second cpu doesn't currently get 12V, so the good Asus z10pa has to be it.
Logic and the Manuals say that it wont work even a little bit.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i don't know if you can boot it up with cpu only in socket 2.... usually if you have 1 cpu it has to be in socket 1....
@BLinux well, i havn't tried it with a single cpu and only the second socket populated.
Well, i cant test it on the Md70 since the second cpu doesn't currently get 12V, so the good Asus z10pa has to be it.
Logic and the Manuals say that it wont work even a little bit.
Yeah, I don't know... On the older Westmere systems, you could use 2nd CPU socket alone without CPU in 1st socket. I realize the PCI lanes are tied to the CPUs, so some PCI lanes will not work without CPU1...

just wondering if I can get by with a cheaper way to test this board instead of buying 2x CPUs I really won't use other than testing.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Looking over the MD70-HB0 manual page 9:

MD70-HB0 (rev. 1.2) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE B2B Service

It looks like CPU0 is tied to the SAS3008, while CPU1 is tied to the X520. But other than that, i haven't noticed anything obvious that would suggest it wouldn't run with just CPU1 and no CPU0. I don't know for sure...

BTW, since you have this board, do you know if these have the hardware to support V4 with a BIOS upgrade?

if i'd find my 2618lv3, how much would air mail from germany to you cost?
I have no idea. I don't imagine it would be cheap. I'm located in California, USA if that helps.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
no luck on the SM x10dri
z10pa won't turn on with a 1650v3 on cpu1 and nothing in cpu0.
was going to pull out my asus z10pe-d16 to test it out but i am thinking it would be the same that it probably won't boot with the cpu only in socket 2...

blinus, you sure you can't get buy with QS/ES cpu also? not that they are much cheaper, just slightly cheaper..

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Looking over the MD70-HB0 manual page 9:

MD70-HB0 (rev. 1.2) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE B2B Service

It looks like CPU0 is tied to the SAS3008, while CPU1 is tied to the X520.
That'd explain why it doesn't work : ) Thanks.

I'm certain that you can get Broadwell Ep runing on that board.

EDIT: @wildpig1234
There is an important distinction btween boots and powers on. Or Posts.
Mine don't even power on to be precise.
Part of the reason might be that the Chipset is only wired directly to the first CPU (0).
Or they all have cpu detect pins in the sockets and need cpu0 to be present to turn on.

Last edited: