WiFi Planning and Optimization on the Cheap?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
I currently have Ubiquiti wireless in my house, two WAPs: U6-Pro and AC-Pro. The controller is running on a Proxmox LXC container. Everything works fine as far as I can tell. However, I stumbled across this thread, Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative? and got a bad case of upgrade-itis. ;) I ordered a cheap ebay Ruckus R730 on which I intend to do the R850 + Unleashed hack.

Truthfully, I did this partially for the fun of tinkering with a new toy. But a good friend is having some WiFi struggles in his house, and I'm hoping to increase my knowledge a bit and maybe see if I can improve his situation.

Anyway - rather than just throwing a new WAP in place and calling it a day, I was hoping to actually get some metrics, for a before-and-after comparison. It seems like doing a "real" WiFI planning and optimization exercise involves quite-expensive hardware and software, and/or a visit from a paid professional.

So I'm wondering if there's a poor-man's way to get some reasonable WiFi metrics? I.e., can I use the standard hardware I already have (cell phones, tablets, laptops, PCs) to obtain metrics that are useful (if imprecise)? What else should/can I measure besides throughput and latency?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/tka55p Netspot, in particular, seems to be an okay choice for free or low cost.
That link has the real deal stuff in it!

For positioning a ceiling mount Access Point at home, I only had a few possible locations. I didn't need perfect placement, just needed to pick the best out of three options. So, I just used the AirPort utility app on my iPhone, which works with non-Apple hardware as well.

I set the AP up temporarily in each candidate location, enabled scanning in the app, and then wandered through the house checking signal strength in dB with the app in Continuous scan mode. Not as techy cool or as accurate as a real heat map. But it got the job done.

If you have an iPhone and want to try this, you may need to enable scanning in settings as its generally disabled by default.