Why are my pools not imported or importing after FreeNAS Corral upgrade?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
SOS - I upgraded a FreeNAS from 9.10 to Corral and it sees one of 4 volumes or pools I have on the machine. Anyone?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Rand__ is likely correct. I had this happen on one of my installs.

If you cannot get into the drives, say if you forgot your key, then here is what you do:

Reboot, change OS to 9.10 and boot. You will have functioning file services again.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I have a similar issue but not with an encrypted volume. I had 5 volumes, s1, s2, s3, s4, s5.
Post upgrade it isn't mounting s3, but if I go to import an existing volume what was s3 now shows as s4. So I can't import it since I already have an s4.

Seems like I need to somehow rename it then import, or if that's not possible, rename the existing mounted s4 to something else. Any clue?

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
thanks for the pointer. I actually used the cli to import the volume. Couldn't import s4 new name=s3 , since it didn't like the fact that I was caling the volume by a name that was already mounted. However the same command worked when I used the volume ID in place of s4.
Lost all of my shares (nfs\smb) on both s3 & s4 but at least the data seems to be there :)

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
So how I did it was I rolled back to 9.10, rekeyed my volume (which removed the passphrase), deleted the old Corral update in boot and re-update to Corral-RELEASE and it did not work.

I did the above again but except I went to Corral-MASTER (nightly) and this time it worked... however, now I am facing another problem. I accidentally pressed re-key in Corral but now I have no way to download the key. The button is not responsive. I took a very big step and rebooted it in 9.10 U2, of course since it is re-keyed, 9.10 U2 could not read the drives without the key.

Fortunately, booting back into Corral-MASTER was able to decrypt the drives. But now I am stuck with no keys..

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I just went back to 9.10. It is a small NAS with older drives. My new plan is just to build a new NAS with new drives and transfer to a Corral server.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I actually went back as well on my main box - couldnt access SMB shares (no AD integration), couldnt use nfs, tftp didnt work as expected ...
Additionally Freenas support team/forum is totally swamped, so while they try to help/fix all that it will take time

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I'm finding more issues. Nothing major as yet.
SMB share settings don't all save from the GUI, seem to work from cli - read_only, guest.
Power consumption has increased. Use by my box has jumped approx. 60w since the upgrade. All of my HD's were set to spindown prior to the upgrade. Posed upgrade the majority had lost the spindown setting. Set it again via the GUI and it seems to retain the setting but not yet convinced they are spinning down...

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Well, I also spent half of the afternoon trying to iron out issues after upgrading from 9.10.2-U2 -> Coral. First, my zfs pool was not imported (it is not encrypted), I managed to import it manually. Then, I could not modify some of the services I have installed (change ssh to allow root login), half of my user accounts were gone, no iSCSI, NFS, Samba shares... I have not even got as far as checking what about iohyve machines (but I think they were all down). I went back to 9.10, and I will think twice before trying the update another time.