What would cause a command to be added/removed from a Mellanox switch config?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jer emy

Jul 23, 2022
I have an MSB7800 running 3.10.2102 code and it seems like the following config line at the end is being added and removed randomly. Does anyone know why this would happen? I have confirmation from the team no one is doing it manually and I am trying to get the configs into git for archive. However the last line seems to change and I want to find it. The Oxidized model is configured to automatically remove the last 3 lines of the config but it is still picking this up.

Line: cli default prefix-modes enable

Appreciate any help.

olhachycher

Jan 11, 2023
I have an MSB7800 running 3.10.2102 code and it seems like the following config line at the end is being added and removed randomly. Does anyone know why this would happen? I have confirmation from the team no one is doing it manually and I am trying to get the configs into git for archive. However the last line seems to change and I want to find it. The Oxidized model is configured to automatically remove the last 3 lines of the config but it is still picking this up.

Line: cli default prefix-modes enable

Appreciate any help.
Hi,

The command "cli default prefix-modes enable" is a CLI command that enables the default prefix mode on a Mellanox switch. The fact that it is being added and removed randomly suggests that there may be an automated process that is responsible for this behavior. Some possible causes of this include:
  • A configuration management tool, such as Ansible or Puppet, that is configured to periodically apply a specific configuration to the switch.
  • A bug in the switch software that is causing the command to be added or removed at random intervals.
  • An issue with the Oxidized model that is causing it to add or remove the command incorrectly.
In order to determine the cause of this issue, I would recommend checking the logs for the switch and any configuration management tools that are in use. You might also check with Mellanox support to see if there are any known issues that match the behavior you're observing.

jer emy

Jul 23, 2022
Thank you for the thoughtful response @olhachycher !

As the devops person here, there is only one other process that is automated against these switches so you raise a good point. I will see when the config changes because I only have a daily config download right now on those switches.

The only thing I added to the model was 'terminal length 999' to get around pager issues so Ill be looking into that as well.

Finally, I have reached out to support just in case it is a bug.

Thank you again! I am familiar with ethernet switches but not these Mellanox InfiniBand switches so I appreciate your help!