Weird issue with NETAPP X412_HKCBF560A15

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Randman76

Jul 22, 2016
Hey All,

Hope someone may have an idea or two with this issue. Recently, I went ahead and bought several SAS HDD's ( NETAPP X412_HKCBF560A15 ) from Ebay which I then connected to my ARC-1883IX RAID controller via mini SAS SFF-8643 to (4) 29pin SFF-8482 cables. When I power on my server the drives will not spin at all and I end up getting a "Drive Failed" error from the RAID controller. Now here is the weird part. If I then disconnect the data cables from the controller and immediately reconnect them the drives start spinning up and work as expected. I have tried different cables from other manufactures and get the same results. I went ahead and sent an email to the folks at Areca and they suspect it may be because these HGST drives have Netapp firmware on them. I've done multiple searches and cannot seem to find a way to re-flash them back to HGST.

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Randman76

Jul 22, 2016
Does your power cable come with 3.3V (orange cable for most)? If so, try to disconnect the 3.3V. Might help.
That is what I thought it was at first too. I picked up a couple molex adapters which bypassed the 3.3v but I got the same results.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
No, they spin always. I can use drives with firmware from other vendors and write to them if they allow reformatting to 512 or 4k. My intention was just with their firmware settings/temp limits/cosmetic.
No problems with LSI 2308 and LSI 3008

Is there any setting PUIS (power up in standby) you can try on or off in the BIOS of the server or this RAID-controller?
Can you post the output of sdparm -a /dev/disk when they spin?

Maybe this helps: