WD HDD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212AL4205 12TB 3.5" SAS $76.89

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I never buy from anybody that puts a flat-rate per item shipping cost. They are just trying to manipulate the search to appear to have a lower base price. Just raise the price of the item to include shipping.

The funny part is that a search for "12TB SAS" (no quotes) doesn't even show this listing for me.

jhartbarger

Jan 5, 2022
12 dollar shipping kills the deal! (well relatively, you can get refurbs with longer warranties for just over 90 bucks)

other thread (1) 12TB 3yr warranty refurbed Seagate for $6.83/TB shipped | ServeTheHome Forums

here may be some slitghtly better links:

WD WD120EDAZ 12TB 5400RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive | eBay

Seagate 12TB Exos X14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM Enterprise HDD — ST12000NM0538 | eBay
All those listings are for SATA drives not SAS so that makes a difference.

jhartbarger

Jan 5, 2022
I never buy from anybody that puts a flat-rate per item shipping cost. They are just trying to manipulate the search to appear to have a lower base price. Just raise the price of the item to include shipping.

The funny part is that a search for "12TB SAS" (no quotes) doesn't even show this listing for me.
Yeah its silly it's not like they pay less in eBay fees, I sent him a request for combined shipping and it was $22 for 5 of them I purchased. The main reason I purchased more from him was the first batch were all 14-18 mos old and all had low hours. I'm hoping that's the case this time and if not there is always his 30-day return policy.

Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
When you sort by price, it always goes off total price, shipping inclusive. There is no manipulating the search results that way.

Serhan

Sep 22, 2017
Yeah its silly it's not like they pay less in eBay fees, I sent him a request for combined shipping and it was $22 for 5 of them I purchased. The main reason I purchased more from him was the first batch were all 14-18 mos old and all had low hours. I'm hoping that's the case this time and if not there is always his 30-day return policy.
I also got drives from this seller from the first batch, they had very few hours. Can you please post here if this batch also has similar low hours?

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
All those listings are for SATA drives not SAS so that makes a difference.
I mean... yes but... for me a SATA drive would actually be worth slightly more than SAS.

I have never noticed any performance difference between SAS and SATA for spinning rust drives.

a SATA drive has the advantage in that I could use it in other places if needed, and more useful from a resale standpoint too.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
SATA drives also respond better to power management commands in virtually all platforms from what I've seen. I was never able to reliably get SAS spindown to function in unraid or truenas and getting smart data without having to bust open consoles/terminals is far less of a pain in the ass with platforms that offer native GUIs

Reactions: EasyRhino and Samir

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
When you sort by price, it always goes off total price, shipping inclusive. There is no manipulating the search results that way.
Searches from outside eBay (like Google) show the base price without shipping. Sometimes, the Google search is better than the eBay search at finding what you want, and you are much more likely to click through when you see a price 10-20% below what you were expecting.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
a SATA drive has the advantage in that I could use it in other places if needed, and more useful from a resale standpoint too.
I use my drives until they die. I guess I could sell them as "parts only", but it's not worth the effort.

I can't think of a place I'd want to put spinning rust that can handle SATA but can't handle SAS drives.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Searches from outside eBay (like Google) show the base price without shipping. Sometimes, the Google search is better than the eBay search at finding what you want, and you are much more likely to click through when you see a price 10-20% below what you were expecting.
Blame Google or other search engines for that, not eBay.

Reactions: blakwolf and Samir

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The enterprise SAS drives are supposed to be more reliable than the consumer SATA ones. So even though there are refurbed SATA HDD on slickdeals, I would still go for SAS ones.

When I get mine, the first thing I do is run a complete write/read verification for all of them to detect any bad sector. Completely worth the time doing that.

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
The enterprise SAS drives are supposed to be more reliable than the consumer SATA ones. So even though there are refurbed SATA HDD on slickdeals, I would still go for SAS ones.

When I get mine, the first thing I do is run a complete write/read verification for all of them to detect any bad sector. Completely worth the time doing that.
There are also enterprise SATA drives so you can have enterprise reliability with SATA as well. Just having the flexibility to repurpose drives to more common platforms increases the usefulness of the drives, assuming you don't NEED to have SAS drives. SATA drives means you won't require a SAS controller for every drive if you decide to part out the array.

Reactions: nexox and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
There are also enterprise SATA drives so you can have enterprise reliability with SATA as well. Just having the flexibility to repurpose drives to more common platforms increases the usefulness of the drives, assuming you don't NEED to have SAS drives. SATA drives means you won't require a SAS controller for every drive if you decide to part out the array.
While the SATA enterprise drives are intended to be the same as their SAS cousins, there's still an edge of quality on the SAS cousins. When it's really, really important--SAS. And SAS controllers are easy to find and inexpensive today. No more of a hassle than SCSI or IDE controllers.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
While the SATA enterprise drives are intended to be the same as their SAS cousins, there's still an edge of quality on the SAS cousins. When it's really, really important--SAS. And SAS controllers are easy to find and inexpensive today. No more of a hassle than SCSI or IDE controllers.
I have gone exclusively SAS for archival storage for years now ;) Given my limited experience, i do feel like SAS has some qualitative reliability over SATA though.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have gone exclusively SAS for archival storage for years now ;) Given my limited experience, i do feel like SAS has some qualitative reliability over SATA though.
SAS remind me of the SCSI drives of old--they were the absolute best drives money could buy. It's also why 300GB 3.5" SAS drives are still around in droves to be purchased even though they have probably a decade of POH by now. :)

Reactions: wildpig1234