EXPIRED WD DC HC520 12TB $75

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
Great to hear! Thank you for the update. I keep forgetting how much tougher sas drives seem to be compared to sata when it comes to shipping hits. It will be interesting to see if any future failures indicate any type of pattern.
Could also be luck. I configure T7910's for customers, pack them all relatively similarly, and ship UPS ground. I've shipped maybe 30. Around 25 made it with no issues. 3 or 4 with at least some signs of impact damage. One had major impact damage (large corner dents), and another must have been thrown off a cliff (bent chassis, shattered plastics inside and out). Sometimes the UPS guy is just having a bad day.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
What software and commands do you guys use to check and tests these used drives?
I'll boot up the parted magic boot cd and then run smart tests in parallel, starting with the shorts and ending on longs. The parallel testing makes a big difference on long since nX drives all test in the time of X.

Reactions: epicurean

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Could also be luck. I configure T7910's for customers, pack them all relatively similarly, and ship UPS ground. I've shipped maybe 30. Around 25 made it with no issues. 3 or 4 with at least some signs of impact damage. One had major impact damage (large corner dents), and another must have been thrown off a cliff (bent chassis, shattered plastics inside and out). Sometimes the UPS guy is just having a bad day.
It also depends on how far they have to go--something headed within the same zone will almost always arrive in better shape than something that goes across all 5 of UPS's zones.

Reactions: chrgrose

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
I'll boot up the parted magic boot cd and then run smart tests in parallel, starting with the shorts and ending on longs. The parallel testing makes a big difference on long since nX drives all test in the time of X.
someone from here wrote a bht script to run badblocks in parallel - I use it.

Reactions: blakwolf and Samir

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
The bht script did help a lot to make testing big batches of hds bearable. I think I did have to spend a few hours troubleshooting everything to getting it working, but that included setting upa new server, flashing it mode, etc.

Reactions: Samir

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Shipping damage?
will we ever know?

we go through a decent ammount of drives per yer, say thousands and this number is way higher than anything, and sadly drives ususlly comes in variable packing, a bulk order of 600 drives 2-3months ago arived in single packs, loose, in cardboard boxes with tape.. so yeah :) and 0 of thoose have failed yet

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Reactions: Serhan and Samir