Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
And since I sent this pic to someone on VRChat, here's the main rig. Still using Compleat EG coolant with zero corrosion or O-ring failure:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Once I get my crap from the USA in the mail, i'll probably upgrade the H100i V1 in the Better Retro Rig with the Arctic LF2 360 that's in one of my spare part builds that will get water cooling again.

(5950X, B550 UX and soon a Vega FE)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Once I get my crap from the USA in the mail, i'll probably upgrade the H100i V1 in the Better Retro Rig with the Arctic LF2 360 that's in one of my spare part builds that will get water cooling again.

(5950X, B550 UX and soon a Vega FE)
Shipped, and I swapped out the AIO. Also bought a 3770K relatively cheaply which i'm waiting on getting next Monday or so.

Next step: order a bunch of Arctic P12s and the 120 mm fan adapter for the HK Tube.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Shipped, and I swapped out the AIO. Also bought a 3770K relatively cheaply which i'm waiting on getting next Monday or so.

Next step: order a bunch of Arctic P12s and the 120 mm fan adapter for the HK Tube.
Done and done. Fans should be coming in tomorrow, HK Tube the day after. Still haven't received the 3770K thanks to the bad weather :(

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
3770K finally came in. Of course it ran ridiculously hot (it still had bird shit between the IHS and die) so I delidded it and now said CPU doesn't go above 70C with 1.35V vCore after vDroop.

Think i might be able to hit 5 GHz, am already at 4.8 stable.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
3770K finally came in. Of course it ran ridiculously hot (it still had bird shit between the IHS and die) so I delidded it and now said CPU doesn't go above 70C with 1.35V vCore after vDroop.

Think i might be able to hit 5 GHz, am already at 4.8 stable.
Kept WHEA'ing at 1.35V GET, at 1.394V GET I seem to be stable at 4.8.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Wooo, received my crap. Pentium 4 3.4 even with multiple ****ed/missing pins POSTs fine so far, so does the Vega FE.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Next on my list: finally finishing the seedbox so it can go back downstairs, test the VFE before waterblocking, waterblock it, finish custom loop in spare rig #23346456 and then test the P6T7 WS I bought on STH.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I hate EK Classic Rotary fittings so ****ing much. They have _zero_ tolerance for misalignment. Have them under tension and BOOM they leak.

Had to replace a few with Quantum Torque ones, but at least I have a water cooled 5950X/Vega FE now!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Vega FE has a bizarre issue with boost clocks: it stops around 1400 MHz instead of the set 1750.

I love AMD driver jank so much /s

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Not only that, it seems the P6T7 WS I bought on here is DOA :( keeps crashing whenever I try to install or boot up my Win10 PE USB.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Not only that, it seems the P6T7 WS I bought on here is DOA :( keeps crashing whenever I try to install or boot up my Win10 PE USB.
Not as DOA as I thought, HOORAY! Leaving the BIOS battery out overnight seems to have fixed it.

Still need to come up with a way to cool the CPU without it being loud as hell or constantly being in the way.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Not as DOA as I thought, HOORAY! Leaving the BIOS battery out overnight seems to have fixed it.

Still need to come up with a way to cool the CPU without it being loud as hell or constantly being in the way.
Found such a way: Performance-PCs was selling NOS XSPC Raystorm waterblocks on the cheap. Will be a while before it gets here though.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Vega FE has a bizarre issue with boost clocks: it stops around 1400 MHz instead of the set 1750.

I love AMD driver jank so much /s
Its likely been overclocked to hell, and poorly maintained; There's potential its not the core thats been overvolted, and used up. I would advise looking at all the phases, its very likely some phases are dying or underperforming - and should be replaced.

(you can contact tony@northwestrepair.com if you want someone take a look, and repair it for you; his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDDbj3qJYg-5FSPFWJxqMw great content - and he's not expensive, takes around ~100 usd for fixing gpu's that include reball of core)

[I may have radeon vii pro in mint condition to offload, as soon as i get something akin of A5000/oem3090 with standard pcie height)]

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Its likely been overclocked to hell, and poorly maintained; There's potential its not the core thats been overvolted, and used up. I would advise looking at all the phases, its very likely some phases are dying or underperforming - and should be replaced.

(you can contact tony@northwestrepair.com if you want someone take a look, and repair it for you; his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDDbj3qJYg-5FSPFWJxqMw great content - and he's not expensive, takes around ~100 usd for fixing gpu's that include reball of core)

[I may have radeon vii pro in mint condition to offload, as soon as i get something akin of A5000/oem3090 with standard pcie height)]
You can't overvolt Vega cards, they're vBIOS limited to 1.2V.

That R7 Pro is extremely tempting tbh, if it's sanely priced because I have no use for the Pro drivers.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
You can't overvolt Vega cards, they're vBIOS limited to 1.2V.
Quite sure people overvolted those, like a lot - i remember reading lot of threads on bunch of forums where people provided all kinds of registry tricks, bios mods, physical mods and clocked them to 140-160%.

There's used to be whole slew of meme videos about it. (it was just like nv7600 GS Sonic with overclock mods from old times)
Like those 2

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Quite sure people overvolted those, like a lot - i remember reading lot of threads on bunch of forums where people provided all kinds of registry tricks, bios mods, physical mods and clocked them to 140-160%.

There's used to be whole slew of meme videos about it. (it was just like nv7600 GS Sonic with overclock mods from old times)
Like those 2
That's probably the 7970 you're thinking of. 28 nm scales with voltage up to a point.