VMware Updates its EOA Plan Providing Guidance for Some Subscription Transition

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
i must have been slow on the uptake but this is the first I noticed the end of the esxi free edition listed. which is a bummer, because this is what I use and really all I need at home.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
is this going to affect customers running esxi 7.x ? I'm trying to determine if they're somehow going to force people running a 7.x perpetual into some kind of service agreement? Or is it simply that they will no longer release updates for older versions and you must pay?

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Can anyone tell me what are the alternatives to ESXi for a basic home user? Are there even any products out there that are rock stable for running 24/7?

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Can anyone tell me what are the alternatives to ESXi for a basic home user? Are there even any products out there that are rock stable for running 24/7?
I swapped to Proxmox at home when Microsoft discontinued their free edition of Hyper-V. I can see why it's popular with Homelabbers - it was very easy to get my VMs up and running & it just runs with no issues.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Is it comparably complex to configure or easier? Setting up ESXi was a colossal pain in the arse with no prior experience. And I mean the general stuff, not VMs themselves.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
It sets up ready to go - I picked the defaults for everything. I followed their getting started doc and had a new VM setup about 10 minutes after I'd popped in the Proxmox installation USB stick.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
is this going to affect customers running esxi 7.x ? I'm trying to determine if they're somehow going to force people running a 7.x perpetual into some kind of service agreement? Or is it simply that they will no longer release updates for older versions and you must pay?
If you own a perpetual license you can use it until the rapture.

what it means is that whenever your current SnS (support and subscription) ends VMware will not sell you an SnS renewal—this will end your entitlement to version upgrades and support.

one thing commonly misunderstood by customers is that SnS entitles customers to upgrade to any version released during the SnS period, which you can avail even after SnS has expired. So if vsphere 8 came out while your SnS was active but your SnS has since expired you’re still entitled to upgrade to vsphere 8 without having to renew SnS.