Vega 64 performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
No change. Still running hot (83C). CPU mining only is at 190w. Once I turn on the 2000h/s goodness it jumps to 470w.

I'm using the "safe" registry file from the Reddit thread.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I see what's going on... I can undervolt all I want in OverdriveNTool but HWINFO shows that the values aren't taking (the reason for the .reg file in the first place).

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I used this file from the reddit
Vega_64_Reg_GPU_0000-1100HBM.reg

I have an internal GPU.
For the first vega 64 card. , I changed the folder to 0001 in the reg file .
check your windows 10 registry to be sure regarding the folder .

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I did check the index to point at the right GPU. ASPEED was 0000, Vega was 0001.

I've wiped the whole OS now because it was having boot problems. Switched to Win Pro in the process too. Hopefully it will go better from a clean slate. I'll look for the reg file you mentioned also.

Thanks for all the help.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I documented my journey to 2K with power usage at around 160w for the card in the beginning of this thread.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Hopefully I will be building my Vega Rig sometime this week when all my parts are in.

Question on Windows 10 install - did you install windows on UEFI?

Thanks

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I did check the index to point at the right GPU. ASPEED was 0000, Vega was 0001.

I've wiped the whole OS now because it was having boot problems. Switched to Win Pro in the process too. Hopefully it will go better from a clean slate. I'll look for the reg file you mentioned also.

Thanks for all the help.
Make sure you follow the vega mining guide to a T. AS in, don't open the ATI drivers, turn off crossfire (that was a huge one for me) etc.

-D

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Finally got things situated. Vega HBM is 66C at 3300rpm. Room is chilly so that helps too. Power is finally where I want it. 440w now with both CPUs running (I'm on Pro now).

Vega: 1970
CPU1: 650
CPU2: 500

When I get a chance I'll look into why the second CPU is low, but that's a project for another day. Probably Vega affining to a CPU mining core.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
When I get a chance I'll look into why the second CPU is low, but that's a project for another day. Probably Vega affining to a CPU mining core.

Lol. I figured it out by poking around. I had forgotten about my Docker setup that has 2 cores working on Aeon (250h/s). Good problem to have.

Now to figure out how to setup NUMA pinning in Docker for Windows...

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
FYI i was just on amazon, they had 1 sapphire 64 left at$599, but they wouldn't let me buy it - I already have 2 on the way from a few days ago. If $599 is not too expensive for you I would check amazon multiple times a day if your looking for more Vegas.

Attachments

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
If I buy another one it'll need to be the water cooled version. My x16 slots are too close together. I saw the 40mm fan solution, and while interesting, it would be way too loud for me I'm sure. I know there's aftermarket water cooling options but that's probably $300 all in, on top of the GPU.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Lol. I figured it out by poking around. I had forgotten about my Docker setup that has 2 cores working on Aeon (250h/s). Good problem to have.

Now to figure out how to setup NUMA pinning in Docker for Windows...
In case anyone else is interested in this: A bit of googling and I found out that the NUMA settings can be found in the Hyper-V control panel (Docker for Windows operates as a Hyper-V VM).

A closer look at NUMA Spanning and virtual NUMA settings | StarWind Blog

I plan on disabling NUMA spanning and dedicating 1 CPU for Docker -> AEON.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Back to regularly scheduled programming, anyone else having trouble with BSODs? Seems to be related to the Vega driver crashing, as the symptoms start by hash drop, then I try to kill xmr-stak-amd, then the mouse freezes, then :(.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
So the Powershell script stops the crashes, but I've noticed that it often has to reset the miner at 5-6 minute intervals multiple times, then it hums along for an hour or two, then back to resetting.

The white noise from the fan doesn't bother me when sleeping, but the constant cutouts when it resets woke me a few times last night. I really understand now why @Klee prefers CPU mining. Fire it up and it "just works (TM)."

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
God dang. System was still BSODing and finally corrupted Windows Startup. I was able to boot my recovery USB key and tried to run startup repair, but it was unsuccessful. Tried to boot to it again to reinstall Windows and it got corrupted too.

This is my only box right now so I'm down until my laptop gets back from Dell tomorrow. FML :mad:

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
God dang. System was still BSODing and finally corrupted Windows Startup. I was able to boot my recovery USB key and tried to run startup repair, but it was unsuccessful. Tried to boot to it again to reinstall Windows and it got corrupted too.

This is my only box right now so I'm down until my laptop gets back from Dell tomorrow. FML :mad:
I don't have BSOD's. I've had to up the P7 a bit to keep things stable. I'm at 975. But It's been running for days at a time without reboots.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Back to regularly scheduled programming, anyone else having trouble with BSODs? Seems to be related to the Vega driver crashing, as the symptoms start by hash drop, then I try to kill xmr-stak-amd, then the mouse freezes, then :(.
My vega's crash while otherwise mining ok, mostly due to insufficient voltage. I've had to start burn in testing them at varying voltages as each card is different. One card needs a full 1000mv on both core and hbm to mine stable at 1100mhz. Others can do as low as 935mv on hbm and core. Some need 1000 hbm and 950 core, some the other way around, 1000 core 950 hbm. I test in increments of 935 / 950 / 975 / 1000.

Kind of sucks, my first 8 cards were all fine at 935/935/1100mhz. This last batch, I've had maybe one card that could do that.

If a card stays up for an hour, it's most likely those are stable settings. If it makes it 15 minutes without crashing, but not an hour, then you're pretty close to the voltage you need. And if it can't make it 15 minutes you're pretty far off.

Regarding the addon fans, I mostly agree. It uses a lot of power and makes the systems a real pain to work on -- can't use the video ports. I'm going to try putting 2 gpus in a 3-gpu board and 3 gpus in a 4-gpu board and see how that goes.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
So the Powershell script stops the crashes, but I've noticed that it often has to reset the miner at 5-6 minute intervals multiple times, then it hums along for an hour or two, then back to resetting.

The white noise from the fan doesn't bother me when sleeping, but the constant cutouts when it resets woke me a few times last night. I really understand now why @Klee prefers CPU mining. Fire it up and it "just works (TM)."

Yep , Intel and their partners did all the testing for me. They just work and uptime is limited to the limitations of living out in the sticks with the occasional redneck shooting out a transformer or a tree falling on a line.

I like fiddling with a setup to optimize it but I hate to mess with one thats turns into a never ending battle.

The P106 GTX 1060 dedicated mining cards are not the fastest things but they are %100 solid in testing in my windows 7 test pc. Helps to have a more polished driver with Nvidia vs the ones AMD puts out.

Reactions: Joel