Vega 64 performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
I bought my last one from newegg last thursday, was at star wars double feature, went to bathroom between movies, checked newegg, they were in stock, bought my 4th one. Neither amazon alerts or newegg alerts seem to work, maybe they are gone too quick because i have both setup, so you just need to visit the sites a lot if you want more.

Reactions: Marsh

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I just built my first rig last week. Before jumping in I tested/learned with my gaming rig and my deep learning rig for a few weeks. I am building a vega rig - I have 3 and a fourth is coming this week.

I researched video cards specifically looking at ROI. I used the monero benchmarch site to compare hashrates for different cards GPU & CPU BENCHMARKS FOR MONERO MINING! and then a mining calculator to figure out potential daily/monthly profits. So for me the Vegas were by far the best ROI - with a 2000 monero hashrate they were looking like 3 months to be paid for. That doesn't include the potential rise in monero or whatever coin you mine.

I too have switched to AEON for now because the difficulty is so high on Monero - although I don't understand yet how to calculate how high is too high - I'm trusting the experts on this forum and learning from them.

Oh and also - my electricity is only 6.5 cents, and if I pay my bill early they chop 10% off my bill - which helps a lot.

I went GPU route because its so easy, the only cpu I would do would be the epyc route - but I've been watching and they aren't really available yet that I can find.
With power that cheap (Mine's a bit cheaper actually), you really should be looking at other / older cards. Your main concern is $/hash, rather than hash/watt. Do the math. There are better options out there right now than Vega's at $699.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Stock alert @ Newegg.
thanks got 1 for 730 price tag.

I also got one on ebay form newegg. not sure if they will consider it the same since it shipping to the same address?

oh well i figure two cards will get me going for a while.

update: looks like first order on newegg was cancelled by the order on ebay. they use address as one way to verify the limit counts.

update 2 - newegg on ebay opened a case to cancel my order. I declined it since they didnt refund my pp account and since they already canceled one order on newegg website. I'll be upset if they dont ship anything out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
With power that cheap (Mine's a bit cheaper actually), you really should be looking at other / older cards. Your main concern is $/hash, rather than hash/watt. Do the math. There are better options out there right now than Vega's at $699.
I want to score some 570 for say $200 - what other cards would you recommend?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Best h/$ (new) that I've found is RX 570 which go for ~$250@ 650-700h/s. When you consider that 1 Vega 64 h/s is equal to three 570s, plus lighting the platform, Vegas still make sense to me at current Newegg pricing. I'm also not using risers yet though I'm considering it along with a Rosewill chassis.

I am concerned about bitcoin mania though, if prices for coins fall through the floor it would end the respective Vega mania in a hurry (good time to stock up though!).

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I think I’m missing one key point here. So say I want to mine and sell every month to limit exposure. So I mine to a private wallet that I have backed up in many secure places but how do I then sell those coins? Find a buyer on a forum or is there a clearinghouse?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
You would use an exchange to sell the coins and then they send you the cash for them is high level. I am sure there are a few here who could recommend some exchanges to use depending on what kind of coins you are planing on mining

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I think I’m missing one key point here. So say I want to mine and sell every month to limit exposure. So I mine to a private wallet that I have backed up in many secure places but how do I then sell those coins? Find a buyer on a forum or is there a clearinghouse?
you would need to transfer the coins from private wallet to an exchange or to another address is you sold it directly.
some coins have limited exchanges, IE aeon currently only has 2 that allows trading to other coins. I dont think they offer pure cash out. Next you need a way to get paid, ie sell the coin for month and transfer it to yourself. An example would be Coinbase for US. But they only accept three coins, BTC, ETH and LTC currently. So if you have aeon stock, you need to trade it for another coin then get it into coinbase to cash out.

as for selling, not sure of the forum rules, but you need to be extra careful, since once a transaction is transferred I dont know if you can ever get it back, im assuming not based on nature of the coin tech.

Reactions: Joel

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Best h/$ (new) that I've found is RX 570 which go for ~$250@ 650-700h/s. When you consider that 1 Vega 64 h/s is equal to three 570s, plus lighting the platform, Vegas still make sense to me at current Newegg pricing. I'm also not using risers yet though I'm considering it along with a Rosewill chassis.

I am concerned about bitcoin mania though, if prices for coins fall through the floor it would end the respective Vega mania in a hurry (good time to stock up though!).
I've been watching them. Someone here posted they were $200 last month. Best I have seen is $239 on newegg. I snagged a biostar btc pro motherboard - waiting for prices to drop after christmas hopefully so I can fill it up with cheap 570.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Finally got my 4th card running. Note I thought I had a subpar card - my #3 card that was usually doing 1975 or so, but now it is always over 2000 and its my 4th card that is a bit lower so I don' t think its the cards. I am using igpu so not sure why my last card connected is always running like 1970-1975. I have switched out risers, tried different pci ports, doesn't matter.

I have the default softtables loaded from the link from Marsh, I haven't tried his lower power settings yet. I'm getting 156 watts per card right now with 50 for my cpu - so total of 675 watts for the 4 card rig.

upload_2017-12-19_9-44-4.png

Reactions: Marsh

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I want to score some 570 for say $200 - what other cards would you recommend?
I've been snapping up R9 290's, 390's and Fury's on Ebay. But even they are getting pricey the last 2 weeks or so again. If prices keep going like they are going, though......

-D

keybored

May 28, 2016
I've been snapping up R9 290's, 390's and Fury's on Ebay. But even they are getting pricey the last 2 weeks or so again. If prices keep going like they are going, though......
-D
290s don't seem that pricey compared to where they were earlier in the year. They're $150-$200 on feeBay right now. Back in spring-summer they were $250-$300.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
290s don't seem that pricey compared to where they were earlier in the year. They're $150-$200 on feeBay right now. Back in spring-summer they were $250-$300.
Buy it Now's have increased recently again. But yeah, $150 for an 800h/sec card is exactly what I'm getting at.

Jafar

Dec 19, 2017
Hello everyone ,
First of all , thank you a lot for your feedback , it was very usefull !
Here is my project , i have several E5 2690 V4 and E7 8800 V3/V4 , regarding the price of motherboard for E7 , i'm focus on motherboard with 2011-3 socket for my E5. Like this one ASUS x99-A (mono socket) or this one Asus z10pe (double socket) , but only Windows 8.1 support double CPU and and I don't know what that means in terms of stability.
I'm currently looking for GPU , got some vega in order.

What do you think about this Motherboard minig with CPU in parallel of my GPU ? ( E5 2690 : 1100 Hash)
and do you think new vega saphire nitro edition are good for mining ? I'm worry about extra OC impact negatively the ratio Hash/Watts.

I'm going probably sell my E7 soon ( New and used).

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Hello everyone ,
First of all , thank you a lot for your feedback , it was very usefull !
Here is my project , i have several E5 2690 V4 and E7 8800 V3/V4 , regarding the price of motherboard for E7 , i'm focus on motherboard with 2011-3 socket for my E5. Like this one ASUS x99-A (mono socket) or this one Asus z10pe (double socket) , but only Windows 8.1 support double CPU and and I don't know what that means in terms of stability.
I'm currently looking for GPU , got some vega in order.

What do you think about this Motherboard minig with CPU in parallel of my GPU ? ( E5 2690 : 1100 Hash)
and do you think new vega saphire nitro edition are good for mining ? I'm worry about extra OC impact negatively the ratio Hash/Watts.

I'm going probably sell my E7 soon ( New and used).
If you're Vega mining you'll want Windows 10. Pro supports dual socket (can verify firsthand).

CPU mining in parallel works just fine, in fact latest XMR-stak combines them. I prefer to keep them separate so I just duplicate the xmr-stak directories and delete the info from the config file for the stuff I'm not using.

I don't have experience with the Nitro edition; the reference design is good. If you follow the guides from page 1, it'll tell you to UNDERCLOCK the core, and overclock the memory. I've heard aftermarket designs may not prioritize cooling the memory, so that's something to watch for. The thing about OC cards, is that you can (almost) always override their settings.

exahash

Sep 22, 2017
Hudson. Town website says its $.09 but thats outdated. Littleton also has their own - not sure what other towns do as well.
That's awesome, I haven't seen one that low around here. Their website boasts "Lowest bills in the state" and I believe it.

I just checked out Hudson Light's website and it says they tack on another 4.2 c/kwh Power Adjustment Charge. Still WAY better than ours. And looking at the demand rates it's even possible to get down below 3 c/kwh before the PAC.