Unable to post after installing Oracle branded Samsung PM1750 NVMe SSD (2.5") on Supermicro x10drh-ct

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kahn2k

Jul 28, 2021
s-l1600.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I have 2 of these Oracle branded Samsung 3.2TB NVMe SSD MZ-WLK3T20 which I salvaged from a Oracle x6-2s server.

So tried to install it using the bifurcation NVMe adaptor for U.2 into one of the PCIE 3.0 x8 slots but the system will not post. Tried different slots and same results. Removed the drives with just the PCIe adaptor and the system boots just fine.

Are these supported by the Supermicro motherboard or they have proprietary firmware preventing them from booting outside of the Oracle server? Or am I missing something?

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Which motherboard specifically? Which adapter, specifically? Have you tried just a single drive in the adapter?

Kahn2k

Jul 28, 2021
It’s the Supermicro X10DRH-CT. Yes I’ve tried installing just one of the drives in the adaptor and it’s the same issue. Removed both from the adaptor and the server booted without issue.

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Which slots on the motherboard did you try? How did you configure the bifurcation for those slots? Has the adapter been used successfully elsewhere?

Kahn2k

Jul 28, 2021
Tried all the slots and none worked. The problem is the server doesn’t even start up with the card & NVMe installed so I can’t even get into the bios to do any changes.