Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I would hope there's full CLI access with the same functionality as the EdgeSwitch. Did you try it out?
So you can get the sort of access you want, but it's not the intended form of use for unifi switches. Once you ssh into the switch the commands are very limited and are mostly for connecting to a controller. From the cli you can further telnet into the switch using "telnet localhost 2222". From there you can make changes to the switch just like an edgeswitch, but it warns you that it will put the switch out of sync with the controller and that the changes you make will likely not survive a reboot.

In the end you may be able to just configure via the CLI and not even bother with a controller, but it's definitely not how it was meant to be used.

How's the noise level?
It's quiet enough I can't hear it over all the other things in my rack. I'm out of town until Sunday, but I'll take it out of the rack then to get a better idea of noise.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
Yeah, I am so confused right now. I was cheeky enough to order two for $0 after I originally ordered one for $299. It took a couple of days extra for the $0-order to be completed, but now it has been shipped! Surely this can't be happening?

I would hope there's full CLI access with the same functionality as the EdgeSwitch. Did you try it out?
Wait, what?!? What $0?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
For a very brief period of time there was a glitch on their site wensday morn and they were priced at 0$ just pay shipping a few of us decided to try our luck and got lucky as they actually completed the order instead of cancelling it and the orders shipped out last night

Reactions: Dan Langille

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
For a very brief period of time there was a glitch on their site wensday morn and they were priced at 0$ just pay shipping a few of us decided to try our luck and got lucky as they actually completed the order instead of cancelling it and the orders shipped out last night
WTF...you guys WIN!!!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, I am so confused right now. I was cheeky enough to order two for $0 after I originally ordered one for $299. It took a couple of days extra for the $0-order to be completed, but now it has been shipped! Surely this can't be happening?
I'll take one of those off your hands :-D surely you don't need two :p

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
Damn! That's a serious bonus of a glitch for those who got it.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Yup I am not complaining. I was not going to get one originally even though the 300$ was tempting cause I don't really need one since I already have a netgear xs708t however when that price came up.....

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Across the big ole' pond, j/k anyways, my 10GbE needs are taken care of good sir!

Merry early XMAS indeed for those who got the $0 deal, OMG fantastic, happy for you all!

For those who got it @ $300 try not to hold any disdain for the 'smarty pants' here, they took a roll of the dice and it was just dumb luck/timing mostly :-D Still a good deal at beta pricing. WAAAAAY cheaper than I got in on the 10GbE market at!

Last edited:

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
Across the big ole' pond, j/k anyways, my 10GbE needs are taken care of good sir!

Merry early XMAS indeed for those who got the $0 deal, OMG fantastic, happy for you all!

For those who got it @ $300 try not to hold any disdain for the 'smarty pants' here, they took a roll of the dice and it was just dumb luck/timing mostly :-D Still a good deal at beta pricing. WAAAAAY cheaper than I got in on the 10GbE market at!
No disdain here. I'll just stick with the green eyed monster ;)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
FedEx delivered my switch 30 min ago,
Hooked it up to my lab.
Updated firmware , reboot switch
So happy that my $5 Nebula SFP+ DAC cables are working.
My 2 nodes Windows 2016 hyper-converged S2D are talking to each via the new 10G switch.
Thinking about buying another one.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Some info for those that picked up a switch and need help getting it running. The minimum unifi software version appears to be 5.4.?. There is a good thread here to look through:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...XG-Beta-Test-and-other-questions/td-p/1746911

And a grid:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...or-my-new-UniFi-hardware/m-p/1741279#U1741279

And a link to a spreadsheet with compatible sfp+ modules/cables:

US-16-XG Compatibility Reports

And a link to 5.4.3 download:

UniFi 5.4.3 Unstable has been released | Darkmoon

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
FedEx delivered my switch 30 min ago,
Hooked it up to my lab.
Updated firmware , reboot switch
So happy that my $5 Nebula SFP+ DAC cables are working.
My 2 nodes Windows 2016 hyper-converged S2D are talking to each via the new 10G switch.
Thinking about buying another one.
I am going to set up a similar system soon, a 2 node 2016 s2d cluster which is why I bought this switch (well, one of the reasons). I know that I will need a minimum of two SSDs plus a boot drive per system, I was thinking a quartet of 1TB sata SSDs (NVME if I can afford them) as I only need about 1TB useable. If you get some spare time message me with your setup and any gotchas you came across!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My switch arrived today. Thank you @Aestr and @Jeff Robertson for the heads up on the 5.4.3 controller release. It probably would have taken a couple of hours to figure out why the controller I was runnign couldn't see the switch.

I didn't have any trouble with any of the DAC cables I have. I know the 3-meter ones are Juniper DACs, and the 1-meter ones are Cisco "generics" from China. Unfortunately I don't have good part number references on them for the comparability list.

The unifi-controller interface is does't give a lot of control, but basic VLAN configs are all I need for now. I am a little disappointed that there is no way to configure a fully-tagged trunk (can't seem to get VLAN 1 tagged) but I can work with it.

Given the price I am definitely very satisfied

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I use NTttcp between 2 WS2016 server , hardware is E3-1240v2 cpu, Mellanox CX-2 10g card

Ubiquiti US-16-XG

1 port of Mellanox CX2 port connected to UBNT switch , 1 port is NOT connected , 1035MB/s or 9.7Gbps
No switch 1142MB/s or 9.9Gbps

NTttcp

REM server recveiver
ntttcp.exe -r -m 8,*,192.168.121.185 -rb 2M -a 16 -t 30
Pause

REM Sender
ntttcp.exe -s -m 8,*,192.168.121.185 -l 128k -a 2 -t 30
pause

Reactions: whitey