U.2/NVMe Cables - SFF8643-to-SFF8639 100cm [$11] $12 ; SFF8654_8i-to-2xSFF8639 75cm $17 - Amazon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Because while these are passive devices, bad soldering or connectors will eventually cause them to stop working. Hence why I would go startech (or intel as mentioned) since these are companies that have quality control measures on the products that go out the door.
Yea, I've seen some really bad PCB where the gold contacts would peel off. I've had this happen with a PCIE riser card and it caused a short killing my NIC. This was a long time ago.

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yea, I've seen some really bad PCB where the gold contacts would peel off. I've had this happen with a PCIE riser card and it caused a short killing my NIC. This was a long time ago.
Anytime a product is produced for 'as cheap as possible' then that's pretty much 'cut as many corners as possible'. When dealing with vendors who know that there is no seeing the product after they ship it--'make it dirt cheap as long as it works at least 50% of the time.'

This is why working with a local retailer, a company that has a presence that you can reach, or anyone face-to-face has value--because it is much harder to duck a punch from an livid customer in real life vs over the Internet, and retailers get this and like to avoid it.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Anytime a product is produced for 'as cheap as possible' then that's pretty much 'cut as many corners as possible'. When dealing with vendors who know that there is no seeing the product after they ship it--make it work 50% of the time.

This is why working with a local retailer, a company that has a presence that you can reach, or anyone face-to-face has value--because it is much harder to duck a punch from an livid customer in real life vs over the Internet.
Yea. I rarely ever buy random nameless adapters. Amazon Basics is usually notorious for dodgy quality. With adapter PCBs you can usually see the quality with a quick visual inspection.

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yea. I rarely ever buy random nameless adapters. Amazon Basics is usually notorious for dodgy quality. With adapter PCBs you can usually see the quality with a quick visual inspection.
That's a good move, especially avoiding amazon basics as they've basically using people to test if stuff catches fire (no joke there either :oops:).

Reactions: T_Minus

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Because while these are passive devices, bad soldering or connectors will eventually cause them to stop working. Hence why I would go startech (or intel as mentioned) since these are companies that have quality control measures on the products that go out the door.
Personally I've never had anything that looked OK solder wise fail later (except due to moisture etc), but I admit thats not rigorous and I generally know what a good solder joint looks like. FWIW, it looks like startech is just drop shipping from the same place as some of the others for some of these cables (or sourcing them in bulk).

I also fully do not believe anyone is currently doing intensive QA/QC on this class of product; it's too niche IMHO. I would imagine for "real" corporate use U.2/U.3 drives are going to be in bays. So high quality SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cables? Absolutely. Anything where you're sticking a U.2 drive where a SATA drive goes in a desktop, not so much.

And some of the M.2/pci-e to SFF-8643 options are going to be similar, IMHO. Sure, big companies offer them but they are largely cloning/buying someone else's product due to being both niche and simple. I'm honestly tempted to see how much it would cost to make a small batch of the (mostly) passive adaptors. (the x16 to 4 SFF-8643 are another story since you need to source the pcie bridge chip). Like when I look around at SFF-8643 to U.2, so many legit companies have similar or the same product photos, many of which also show up in ebay listings for less known (or unbranded). Now, it's possible every single one of them actually is different, but I'd have to order them and many (including it seems, Intel) don't offer their product for direct sale.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Anytime a product is produced for 'as cheap as possible' then that's pretty much 'cut as many corners as possible'. When dealing with vendors who know that there is no seeing the product after they ship it--'make it dirt cheap as long as it works at least 50% of the time.'

This is why working with a local retailer, a company that has a presence that you can reach, or anyone face-to-face has value--because it is much harder to duck a punch from an livid customer in real life vs over the Internet, and retailers get this and like to avoid it.
Sadly I live where there is no option for that. Fry's is gone, Microcenter isn't in my state. Any of the other big box retailers are going to be useless and/or hopelessly marked up for *this* kind of thing. For a GPU, or a Nic, or a hard drive? Sure. But if bestbuy carries these things expect to pay 2-4 times the price. For more component level things (resistors, diodes, yes even SMD sizes) theres some physical options, but nothing for things this niche.

Also, for some things it's not worth it (cost wise) to do it any differently. The scale of PCB production is huge, if you're making this sort of thing it's cheaper to farm it out to some place that just churns out PCBs. Unless you are doing assembly yourself, it's going to be done the same way every one else is; with acceptable (but not spectacular) quality.

Things I absolutely would worry about; ICs including Mosfets, quality and gauge of cable and bus-bars, anything that plugs into mains, anything thats a popular product, etc.

Since my only real option is buying online, at least with ebay I know that the product I get is from the seller I pick. For the few companies that still have their own online store and reasonable price and shipping costs, that is an option. But I'm not paying 10 bucks in shipping for a cable that could go in a USPS flatrate box :)

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Personally I've never had anything that looked OK solder wise fail later (except due to moisture etc), but I admit thats not rigorous and I generally know what a good solder joint looks like. FWIW, it looks like startech is just drop shipping from the same place as some of the others for some of these cables (or sourcing them in bulk).

I also fully do not believe anyone is currently doing intensive QA/QC on this class of product; it's too niche IMHO. I would imagine for "real" corporate use U.2/U.3 drives are going to be in bays. So high quality SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cables? Absolutely. Anything where you're sticking a U.2 drive where a SATA drive goes in a desktop, not so much.

And some of the M.2/pci-e to SFF-8643 options are going to be similar, IMHO. Sure, big companies offer them but they are largely cloning/buying someone else's product due to being both niche and simple. I'm honestly tempted to see how much it would cost to make a small batch of the (mostly) passive adaptors. (the x16 to 4 SFF-8643 are another story since you need to source the pcie bridge chip). Like when I look around at SFF-8643 to U.2, so many legit companies have similar or the same product photos, many of which also show up in ebay listings for less known (or unbranded). Now, it's possible every single one of them actually is different, but I'd have to order them and many (including it seems, Intel) don't offer their product for direct sale.
startech, like many other places that use someone for manufacturing have their product copied and then dumped in the market by no names. But they're definitely not the same thing.

If you expect zero quality, that's what you'll get. And when the whole market expects this, that's exactly what will be available.

Just remember on those copycats, they're fakes, dupes, unauthorized IP theft and more all rolled up into one nice cheap package whose primary purpose is to separate you from your money. They are not products that have any type of integrity behind them.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Sadly I live where there is no option for that. Fry's is gone, Microcenter isn't in my state. Any of the other big box retailers are going to be useless and/or hopelessly marked up for *this* kind of thing. For a GPU, or a Nic, or a hard drive? Sure. But if bestbuy carries these things expect to pay 2-4 times the price. For more component level things (resistors, diodes, yes even SMD sizes) theres some physical options, but nothing for things this niche.

Also, for some things it's not worth it (cost wise) to do it any differently. The scale of PCB production is huge, if you're making this sort of thing it's cheaper to farm it out to some place that just churns out PCBs. Unless you are doing assembly yourself, it's going to be done the same way every one else is; with acceptable (but not spectacular) quality.

Things I absolutely would worry about; ICs including Mosfets, quality and gauge of cable and bus-bars, anything that plugs into mains, anything thats a popular product, etc.

Since my only real option is buying online, at least with ebay I know that the product I get is from the seller I pick. For the few companies that still have their own online store and reasonable price and shipping costs, that is an option. But I'm not paying 10 bucks in shipping for a cable that could go in a USPS flatrate box :)
Most of us are in that boat or have been at some point in time. There is always a local 'computer store' that will usually able to get you the same part at the same cost as online, and usually faster with no shipping since it is already with one of their existing distributors. At least this as been my experience.

Just remember that like the 'great value' brand that is cheaper than the branded product at walmart is not a great value, nor are the things that scream 'i'm just like the branded one'.

I think people also need to keep in mind that shipping for smaller items like this don't magically reduce to a smaller amount. Generally across the board it's now $10+ to ship anything, so if that's too high a price then either your product will be worth nothing or you're going to have to pay reasonably if you need something shipped.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Look, I get what you're saying. I just honestly don't think its as (not saying entirely wrong, just less so) applicable to this kind of product as it would be to a NIC, or a power supply, and so on. There's also IMHO, not much worthwhile IP in "put a SFF-8643 on an M.2" level of products. That's a level of "theres one or very few ways to do it and any variation is style" where no patents should be allowed anyways. Intel's one with a flat cable is, IMHO, more novel and actually has a level of worthwhile IP and not just "use existing standards and plug them together". The one startech SFF-8643 to U.2 I see uses what I would consider a "non starter" molded SATA power connector, and I'd be willing to be they didn't design it.

As to the other point, any "local computer shops" here (which these days are more e-cycle, used and some new parts) are *very* consumer gear focused; and for anything that isn't they are buying from the same places I would due to low volume. Even the e-cyclers here tend to not put out much of the enterprise gear they get, it all goes straight to ebay.

I'm not saying "buy the cheapest thing" or "knockoffs are always fine". But over paying, in some cases drastically, is just another way of getting scammed. Don't buy the no-brand garbage made of tinfoil, but don't buy the monster cables HDMI either, y'know?

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Tangent, but related: sff-8643 to PCIe slot? Like the PCIe risers people were using for crypto but with 1 or 2 SFF-8643 plugs? Does anyone make that? Feels even more niche than this, but it would be interesting to try on a board I have that does 4x4 bifurcation on a 16x slot. Tried a passive x16 to 4x SFF-8643 for testing, so it would be interesting to run 1 or more cards on the slot.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Look, I get what you're saying. I just honestly don't think its as (not saying entirely wrong, just less so) applicable to this kind of product as it would be to a NIC, or a power supply, and so on. There's also IMHO, not much worthwhile IP in "put a SFF-8643 on an M.2" level of products. That's a level of "theres one or very few ways to do it and any variation is style" where no patents should be allowed anyways. Intel's one with a flat cable is, IMHO, more novel and actually has a level of worthwhile IP and not just "use existing standards and plug them together". The one startech SFF-8643 to U.2 I see uses what I would consider a "non starter" molded SATA power connector, and I'd be willing to be they didn't design it.

As to the other point, any "local computer shops" here (which these days are more e-cycle, used and some new parts) are *very* consumer gear focused; and for anything that isn't they are buying from the same places I would due to low volume. Even the e-cyclers here tend to not put out much of the enterprise gear they get, it all goes straight to ebay.

I'm not saying "buy the cheapest thing" or "knockoffs are always fine". But over paying, in some cases drastically, is just another way of getting scammed. Don't buy the no-brand garbage made of tinfoil, but don't buy the monster cables HDMI either, y'know?
I would say it depends on how important it is. I've seen companies waste hours diagnosing equipment because of a cheap ethernet cable, and I've had ethernet cables fail when they shouldn't have. It's why enterprise gear generally doesn't mess around with cost for reliability. And we are dealing with enterprise gear here. There is some novelity in terms just assembling parts, but while I can solder, I would rather someone else do it and do it right--that's what I'm paying for.

Most places are consumer focus (and even more drive me up the wall 'gamerz' focused o_O), but their vendors are typically the same big guys that carry everything, ingram micro, etc, so they can get almost anything. And while it will probably be 'special order', just by the nature of coming from one of the big distributors it will probably be higher quality than the cheap stuff and still provide a good value.

I hear you on value--that's what makes used enterprise stuff so attractive--the value. And once you're used to that value, you want it in everything else that's attached to that stuff. But the exception is that some niche stuff will have to be full price for the real deal, or a lot cheaper for something that is more 'chancy'. And while everyone's tolerance for risk is different in this respect, I tend to lean towards something a bit more reliable when working with enterprise gear that doesn't really do well with the cheap stuff. Kinda like how my Porsche likes the 93, not the 87. ;)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Tangent, but related: sff-8643 to PCIe slot? Like the PCIe risers people were using for crypto but with 1 or 2 SFF-8643 plugs? Does anyone make that? Feels even more niche than this, but it would be interesting to try on a board I have that does 4x4 bifurcation on a 16x slot. Tried a passive x16 to 4x SFF-8643 for testing, so it would be interesting to run 1 or more cards on the slot.
Yep, startech is already on it: :)

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Yep, startech is already on it: :)

No no, going the "other way". A riser like people do for vertically mounting a GPU, or for GPU mining, but with 1 or 2 SFF-8643 ports.

As to the other stuff, I bet everyone else in this thread is tired of reading it so I'll leave it be :D

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
No no, going the "other way". A riser like people do for vertically mounting a GPU, or for GPU mining, but with 1 or 2 SFF-8643 ports.

As to the other stuff, I bet everyone else in this thread is tired of reading it so I'll leave it be :D
Oh...well, the gpu risers are essentially pcie risers so I bet you could use the same thing--except with such limited bandwidth I don't know if it would do what you wanted.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Oh...well, the gpu risers are essentially pcie risers so I bet you could use the same thing--except with such limited bandwidth I don't know if it would do what you wanted.
Right but those are generally of 2 types, a USB3 or similar cable for 1x link, or a full 16x link (plus power) via an integrated wide and flat cable. What I'm looking for is a 4x or 8x option using SFF-8643

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Right but those are generally of 2 types, a USB3 or similar cable for 1x link, or a full 16x link (plus power) via an integrated wide and flat cable. What I'm looking for is a 4x or 8x option using SFF-8643
hmmm...that's highly specialized. See if either of these companies have it:

Someone specializing in storage like these guys may have it too:

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
hmmm...that's highly specialized. See if either of these companies have it:

Someone specializing in storage like these guys may have it too:
Thanks for the links, I'll take a look later this week. :D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
`FWIW, I bought 2 Startech brand DVI to VGA adapters and neither one worked. Sent them back and bought 2 no name's from eBay and they both worked. Since the 2 Startech's arrived in Startech branded zip lock bags and neither were factory sealed It's possible they were both returns that somebody fubarred. In my humble opinion, the fact that amazon sends out goods that were previously returned without checking them makes eBay a better gamble.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
`FWIW, I bought 2 Startech brand DVI to VGA adapters and neither one worked. Sent them back and bought 2 no name's from eBay and they both worked. Since the 2 Startech's arrived in Startech branded zip lock bags and neither were factory sealed It's possible they were both returns that somebody fubarred. In my humble opinion, the fact that amazon sends out goods that were previously returned without checking them makes eBay a better gamble.
Why gamble at all on some of this stuff just buy from another retailer.
I use B&H for certain stuff and newEgg for others now due to this.