Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Driden

Oct 18, 2023
Im looking at the boxking one which looks like its a V2 i think from looking at this thread.
I just wondered if anyone has successfully used a pci card in this. It mentions it has pci x2 but i dont see a pci slot. is that pci x2 lane via an M2 slot?

alexmoore

Nov 10, 2022
Here's a long shot... You said you repasted the CPU but didn't mention the type of paste used. Some pastes have silver or other conductive metals in the past and if that was used and has spilled over to the pins and caps around the CPU, you may have a dead system. What type of paste was used?
Arctic MX-4, should be fine for caps, etc.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Found this. They made the motherboard.

If you encounter any product hardware after-sales problems, please contact:

Contact person: Xiaofeng

Tel: 18046947998 (working hours: 08:00-19:00)

Email: cs@changwang.com

Technology QQ group: 468838001

alexmoore

Nov 10, 2022
Found this. They made the motherboard.

If you encounter any product hardware after-sales problems, please contact:

Contact person: Xiaofeng

Tel: 18046947998 (working hours: 08:00-19:00)

Email: cs@changwang.com

Technology QQ group: 468838001
Nice, thank you for that. I've emailed them and hopefully I can get something else to try. Shipping it back to Topton will be about $60 at least.

mcfly9

Mar 7, 2022
Just wondering if these IO Delays is something normal?

View attachment 27989
N100 Alder Lake box from Topton and seeing the same:

1697719851457.png

SSD is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB in the nvme1 slot. Proxmox 8.0 base install, one pfSense VM on it. Same IO delay after stopping all VM's.

Disk write according to iotop is negligible (numbers are accumulated numbers for a 3+ minute period):

1697719911853.png

Should I be concerned? Any BIOS settings to check? ( I am running default values as they shipped with the box - nothing changed except for disabling the beeper)

Last edited:

alexmoore

Nov 10, 2022
@BobS I have an update on the box that would not boot up. There was some alcohol/crud between the motherboard and the Pentium chip. I blew it out with extremely compressed air, and then gave it a small soak with 99% alcohol and blew it out a few more times. Works just fine now.

I guess when I replaced the thermal paste some of the 70% alcohol/paste mixture migrated under the edge of the chip. I’m just glad it still works.

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
Hello, I am trying to find out how to use the serial console. I am on Windows 10 and when I connect an ethernet cable to the com port and my PC nothing seems to happen. I enabled showing hidden devices in device manager but no COM ports show up. Any help please?

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
I have the Topton Mini PC with the 1135G7 Intel CPU and I came up a nice trick to reduce the temperature. Apart from adding a (ghetto) USB fan on the top I also removed the front and back panels to increase the airflow (and dust) inside the unit. Previously with just the fan the NVME drive would still get high temperatures while now it is much cooler.

Reactions: Stovar

steelghost

Oct 9, 2023
I'm a bit late to the party but I've got a Bluetec N5100-based 4 port device (+ RJ45 serial port) which I cannot get to boot completely headless. If I have it connected to a monitor, with or without a keyboard, it will boot fine. If I don't have a monitor connected, but I do have a USB keyboard plugged in, it will boot.

However if I don't have either, it will blink its HDD activity light for a bit and then power off. The only way to power it on again is to remove power from the device and plug it in again.

Does anyone know the magic UEFI option to get this thing to boot without anything plugged in other than power and ethernet? Or do I just have to leave an old KB plugged into it the whole time....

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Does anyone know the magic UEFI option to get this thing to boot without anything plugged in other than power and ethernet? Or do I just have to leave an old KB plugged into it the whole time....
I don't know any magic trick (don't have the bluetec version) but in any case you could just get a HDMI dummy (something like this) or a wireless keyboard and just connect the dongle.

steelghost

Oct 9, 2023
Thanks, yep I have a Logitech K400 dongle plugged in to it at the moment, I just hoped someone else might have already worked this one out.

I'm reluctant to plug anything into the HDMI port if I don't have to, as I'm trying to keep the GPU as asleep as possible to keep the power usage down.

klosz007

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,

I have just received Techvision TVI7309X / GF-1338NP-12 purchased from Topton store on Ali.
It's N5105 option with 4xI226-V.
Mine has BIOS 5.19 dated 20.04.2023, project version GF-1338NP-12-V142.

It will eventually run ESXi 8 and multiple VMs on it (including OPNsense).
For testing I initially installed Windows 11 on it (NVMe SSD), tried to Live boot Linux and booted ESXi 8 from another (SATA) SSD.

It runs on 2x32=64GB SK-Hynix 3200MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM modules (even though N5105 oficially supports 32GB of RAM only).

Some questions/observations:
- no matter how I set AUTO_POWERON jumper or which power recovery option in BIOS is selected (Power On, Power Off, Last state), it autostarts when power is reconnected. Is this normal ? Is there a way to make it behave accrodingly to what is set in BIOS ?

- when Windows 11 is booted and I press power button, it goes to sleep, when I press it again, it wakes up (I guess it is normal).

- but when I shutdown OR even reboot (!) Windows 11 from Windows power menu, this MiniPC powers off completely and does not react to power button presses anymore. I have to cut/restore power to make it power it on again. Is this expected ?

- under Linux (Ubuntu Live USB) or ESXi 8 no such issue - when I reboot, it reboots. When I shut down, it shuts down and can be powered on again with power button

These strange behaviors above just surprise me but do not bother me - as said it will eventually run 24/7. I just need it to power on automatically shall power is lost nad restored and it does it.

Is there a way to disable TPM ? Could not find such setting in BIOS. ESXi does not like consumer-grade TPM's and displays TPM warnings in ESX GUI. Solution is to disable TPM but as said no such option.

Thanks !

Reactions: Keikun

jit-010101

Oct 31, 2023
They have apparently moved the BIOS out of their regular page - it is linked on the bottom of the changwang page.

For N5105 - there is a fairly recent 2023 version that updates the microcode and is supposed to fix the VM crashes and another one from the end of 2022 which unlocks performance settings (undervolting/overvolting options) - but I haven't flashed anything yet because the actual sorting confuses me.

Edit: Be carefull to make sure your board has CW-*** inprinted on it ... there's a second variant sold by TopTon and Kingnovy thats from BKHD that they're selling - this board is NOT compatible with CW bios (verified myself, almost bricked it)

If you have this don't update (original BIOS is also linked there in case you flashed the CW - you'll need to extract the bin and put it ontop of CW files from NAS iso, because apparently their own image is broken besides the bin)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
They have apparently moved the BIOS out of their regular page - it is linked on the bottom of the changwang page.

For N5105 - there is a fairly recent 2023 version that updates the microcode and is supposed to fix the VM crashes and another one from the end of 2022 which unlocks performance settings (undervolting/overvolting options) - but I haven't flashed anything yet because the actual sorting confuses me.

Edit: Be carefull to make sure your board has CW-*** inprinted on it ... there's a second variant sold by TopTon and Kingnovy thats from BKHD that they're selling - this board is NOT compatible with CW bios (verified myself, almost bricked it)

If you have this don't update (original BIOS is also linked there in case you flashed the CW - you'll need to extract the bin and put it ontop of CW files from NAS iso, because apparently their own image is broken besides the bin)

Fully agree its a confusing experience which is why I have not done any bios updates I have the N5105 V5 6port nic still not the foggiest which one id actually need to flash it, maybe its worth asking cwwk support directly that way if anything does go upside down....