Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Question to the ones who used copper shimes: did you use 15x15 mm or 20x20mm ones to fill the cpu/case gap?

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
same for CPU ... why go j4125 when you can get N5105 or the new J ? ... difference in price is not that big but performance is.
I wanted to know the difference in power consumption (measured from mains power) in idle and full load for J4125/N5105?
I'm also considering one of these.

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
I wanted to know the difference in power consumption (measured from mains power) in idle and full load for J4125/N5105?
I'm also considering one of these.
on differen bioses on this machine https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004403345225.html

v103 idle dead on 10w full power 23- peak 24w max

v104 idle 9.5 to10w full power 24--peak 25w max

v105 idle 10-11w full power 24 w --peaks 25

but it usally sits between 15 -20w in regular use .... not that on a pfsense you will not have a display connected and that also can reduce the power ...for example i have my display set to turnoff in 3 min if the display turns off it will drop 3 to4 w

note that this are quick and dirty 5 min readings ,just watching the powermeeter on windows with one nic connected.... on unix sistems i would say 2 or 3 wats less for idle , windows never really idles :)))

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and sqrwv

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I have a good idea now, N5105 is around 10W idle and 25Watts full load.
That's hwmonitor cpu power package?
So I guess the whole box+PSU will consume a bit more if measured at mains power.

I had read that J4125 will measure around 5W idle and 10Watts load (maybe in hwmonitor).
(I'm not sure if it was full load, they didn't specify or I can't remember.)

I just randomly googled for J4125/N5105 boxs reviews and found that the N5105 is hotter, it's around 30% faster (in synthetic benchmark) and consumes almost double the (mains power) compared to the J4125.
Note: mains power consumption also depend on what inside the box, so it's not exact comparative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
It was measured from the wall with a kill a watt device thing.

It really depends on the bios... Yes 5105 draw more power than j4125...but is faster

Probably on j4125 units bios was polished out...and have better values

I said i dont see c8 states for cpu... That might be a bios bug in this v4 unit i have...on v3 it was going to c8 when idle

A bios can make or brake a machine so maybe they have some work to do on bios side.

for example they claim in the latest bios they lifted the power limits , and by default in bios they are set to 50w and 65w .... basically this cpu can pull whatever it wants, but in reality looks like it will draw 25w total from wall and 20w pkg power regardless of the limits in bios, just like the "capped" versions .... maxlimits , cause you can cap it if you want .

CPU package, in Hw monitor, yes it pulls 4-5 wats in idle and about 20w in full load

1666355318464.png

and BTW ... guys with older gen machine ... there is a new bios update for you
direct quote from cw support

抱歉,还没回复的,只有V1有新出Bios的
Sorry, I haven't replied yet, only V1 has a new Bios
Alibaba Translation

is about the esxi bug ... i sent the video posted here yesterday to support but i think they were aware based on the build date

Changelog:
①Fixed the bug that ESXi could not be shut down, and the shutdown changed to restart ;
②Improve the memory recognition speed of the first boot;
③ Improve the compatibility of NVMe hard disks, compatible with more manufacturers' particles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and sqrwv

PaoloTK

Oct 21, 2022
Hello! I'm searching for 2.5Gb replace for my old ERX, and found this tread.
Some searching around Aliexpress and can't decide which one:

I'm planing to use this box for 2.5Gb lan to my NAS, WiFI 6E access point, VPN to my network (WireGuard or OpenVPN) and basically thats it (may be something more, but i don't know whats possible.
  1. Which one i should go? How much ram do i need, 8Gb or 16Gb? What will be better and problem free option, to put that on a shelf next to NAS and forget about it? What OS?
  2. I know that J4125 have Intel i225-V B3 instead of Intel i226-V, is that critical?
Thanks!
Wow, I'm in the exact same situation, ER-X dying and everything. I am also concerned about power consumption and would have loved to see a direct comparison between the same system equipped with J4125 and N5105. I'm still leaning toward the N5105, I think the difference won't be that significant. Regarding the model you linked, why go for that one over the following that sells for 25€ less?

Reactions: n00b and denisyan

PaoloTK

Oct 21, 2022
Cooling. The other cases are bigger and dissipate the heat better
Makes sense, thank you. Although I wonder if that matters for a pure OPNsense machine. The model I linked also has side vents which I assume would help with cooling with a fan inside the case.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
board inside of that topton is most likely to be the CW one (almost 90% sure) ....

from my xp .... topton ships better (no taxes in my case, delivered to door) and faster if you chose seller method than CW (tax , trip to post office, almost 1 month shiping ). but your xp might be different.

you can see if you can obtain a small discount on CW.... they gave me a 10$ voucher.

the CW case is bigger and it would be more suited to passive cooling, the topton one given the cutouts invites you to active cooling via a 40x40 fan.

choise is yours, but for sure CW will have a small gap between cpu and case ,so if you want all the performance you will need to fix that.
i cannot say about the topton one .... but my V3 from them had the gap ....so most likely this one has it too

depending on how you run that opnsen i dont thing thermals will be a big issue with any case...but as with all electronics ...running cooler =running longer

Last edited:

PaoloTK

Oct 21, 2022
board inside of that topton is most likely to be the CW one (almost 90% sure) ....

from my xp .... topton ships better (no taxes in my case, delivered to door) and faster if you chose seller method than CW (tax , trip to post office, almost 1 month shiping ). but your xp might be different.

you can see if you can obtain a small discount on CW.... they gave me a 10$ voucher.

the CW case is bigger and it would be more suited to passive cooling, the topton one given the cutouts invites you to active cooling via a 40x40 fan.

choise is yours, but for sure CW will have a small gap between cpu and case ,so if you want all the performance you will need to fix that.
i cannot say about the topton one .... but my V3 from then had the gap ....so most likely this one has it too

depending on how you run that opnsen i dont thing thermals will be a big issue with any case...but as with all electronics ...running cooler =running longer
Sorry but I'm not following, both the devices mentioned are made by Topton as far as I can tell.

Also, has anyone tested the software switching performance of these devices?

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022
Wow, I'm in the exact same situation, ER-X dying and everything. I am also concerned about power consumption and would have loved to see a direct comparison between the same system equipped with J4125 and N5105. I'm still leaning toward the N5105, I think the difference won't be that significant. Regarding the model you linked, why go for that one over the following that sells for 25€ less?

Yep, i'm concerned about that case. Other lots describe that "smaller" box with N5105 with "V4", but there is small numbers of reviews. I think this small box is well suited for J4125, thats cooler. Another lot, more reviews: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004533608403.html

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
With so many people reading/writing here, I hope I have a chance to get some info about the actual power consumption of the N5105 and the J6412 one (which I just found on page 69 I think). I read something about 11W for the N5105 idle, is that correct, even after some tweaking of the Bios and/or running programs like powerd to reduce the consumption during runtime?

Anyone else has some data about theose two boards (N5105 and J6412), please?
For my N5105 running Windows in 'Balanced' mode - steady state / idle is around 8W ~ 11W

1666378445241.png

and goes to 25W during a CPU based load test

1666378522087.png

Eggroll

Aug 31, 2022
Yep, i'm concerned about that case. Other lots describe that "smaller" box with N5105 with "V4", but there is small numbers of reviews. I think this small box is well suited for J4125, thats cooler. Another lot, more reviews: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004533608403.html
I have that same case with the n5105 and the v226 intel NICs. I made a post about it and the mods I did to it to get decent temps. Personally I think the case is more than enough to provide sufficient cooling and I much prefer the smaller case profile. I've got mine running OPNSense for the last week and no issues so far.

Reactions: sqrwv and denisyan

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I have that same case with the n5105 and the v226 intel NICs. I made a post about it and the mods I did to it to get decent temps. Personally I think the case is more than enough to provide sufficient cooling and I much prefer the smaller case profile. I've got mine running OPNSense for the last week and no issues so far.
You could argue that the case with less metal is in fact more responsive to temperature dissipation, with the only saving grace of the bigger case being more surface area.

podonovan

Sep 13, 2022
but nobody here uses one of these mini pc for pfsense or opensense?
I would like a testimony from these people.
I ordered the N6005/i226 v4 from CWWK - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004641076475.html. Added 1x16GB and 250GB NVMe from Amazon. Took about a week to arrive in Melbourne. It's running native Pfsense 2.7 dev build with Snort on balanced setting. 1Gbps down on WAN. I'm really happy with it's performance. It idles at ~60oC. Thinking I might re-apply some thermal paste to get the temp down.

Last edited:

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Reactions: dazagrt