Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
one weird thing I notice is that my internet speed on the proxmox host is suppppppppppppper slow... like < 10mbit on a gigabit connection. Not sure what's causing that. VM internet speed is fine.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
if anyone still has crashing problems with VMs on Proxmox try the Linux 5.19.7-2 this was released some days ago and it seem to have fixed my vm crashing also i made a microcode update at the same time so not sure what fixed my issue.
on this kernel now.. also installed the intel-microcode package

Reactions: GreenAvacado

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Looking forward to the review! You wouldn't be testing the Ryzen 5600U/5800U/5825U i226 based devices anytime soon by any chance?? I'm waiting for someone to give some feedback on those boxes before I take the plunge . . . :rolleyes: Keep up the great work!!
Information: For the Ryzen quad-NICs mini PC, a review video (link) said its fan noise is pretty loud on high load.

Reactions: rfox

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
I'd like to add ad 2nd sata ssd to my N5105 V4 mainboard ( I just received my M.2 to Sata card JMB585)
Can somone help me and tell me what's the name of the connectors compatible with the HD_PWR1 connector ?
additional question: connector named DC_IN2 is the same form factor. could I use this connector to power a 2nd SSD ?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
additional question: connector named DC_IN2 is the same form factor. could I use this connector to power a 2nd SSD ?
Well that part is a "No" if it's the thing I'm thinking of, which is the alternative DC voltage Input - just as the name suggests.
I've just opened the case to have a look and that's not the connector I was thinking of, I was thinking of the Green block mount 12vdc connector. More discussion further down the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: ech1965

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Well that part is a "No" if it's the thing I'm thinking of, which is the alternative DC voltage Input - just as the name suggests.

Edit; Can you see the SATA Power Cable connector here?
This link is for 1.25 mm pitch connectors, however SATA power connector on V3 (probably also for V4) is PH 2.0 mm.
What you need is:

DC_IN2 is directly connected to external power connector and has whatever voltage is supplied by external power supply (12V or 19V). SATA power connector needs 12V + 5V. I have a plan to use 12V -> 5V step down voltage converter to connect second HDD, but as SSD's have much lover power consumption, probably you'll be fine with Y power cable from SATA power on mothertboard.

Reactions: ech1965

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
This link is for 1.25 mm pitch connectors, however SATA power connector on V3 (probably also for V4) is PH 2.0 mm.
What you need is:

DC_IN2 is directly connected to external power connector and has whatever voltage is supplied by external power supply (12V or 19V). SATA power connector needs 12V + 5V. I have a plan to use 12V -> 5V step down voltage converter to connect second HDD, but as SSD's have much lover power consumption, probably you'll be fine with Y power cable from SATA power on mothertboard.
From my edit above referring to the DC_IN2; "I've just opened the case to have a look and that's not the connector I was thinking of, I was thinking of the Green block mount 12vdc connector."
So fixes that part.

I can see the connector now and it would be the one you have linked, you can tell by the external plug moulding when you have the motherboard in front of you. The smaller plug has the main detent extending the full width of the plug, whereas the 2mm is taking up roughly the middle 1/3rd of the edge.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Information: For the Ryzen quad-NICs mini PC, a review video (link) said its fan noise is pretty loud on high load.
Saw that video - although my Chinese is not up to par ‍:confused: waiting for a review in English and maybe a video demonstrating noise under load and maybe more detailed pics of the insides :rolleyes: There's simply not enough takers in Europe or US for this very freshly released device - so no sources of "in the field" experience or feedback :( I'm patient enough to sit this out and not be a guinea pig ;)

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Saw that video - although my Chinese is not up to par ‍:confused: waiting for a review in English and maybe a video demonstrating noise under load and maybe more detailed pics of the insides :rolleyes: There's simply not enough takers in Europe or US for this very freshly released device - so no sources of "in the field" experience or feedback :( I'm patient enough to sit this out and not be a guinea pig ;)
You know what, I'm willing to take a plunge and be that guinea pig.

Given this one has beefy CPU and GPU, I was really hoping Proxmox iGPU passthrough to drive two 4K monitors would be ideal and doable use case besides pfSense and other VMs. So far in my research, AMD iGPU success yield mixed results and nobody can conclusively confirm or deny it will work. So still haven't pulled the buy trigger yet. Oh well...

Reactions: rfox

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
You know what, I'm willing to take a plunge and be that guinea pig.

Given this one has beefy CPU and GPU, I was really hoping Proxmox iGPU passthrough to drive two 4K monitors would be ideal and doable use case besides pfSense and other VMs. So far in my research, AMD iGPU success yield mixed results and nobody can conclusively confirm or deny it will work. So still haven't pulled the buy trigger yet. Oh well...
I'm waiting for the 6-port version to come out. Once it does it'll be an instant buy from me. The power to watt ratio is the best on the market right now. Very low TDP with the new Intel V4 226 NICs.

The only thing I'm curious about is how many cores/threads OPNsense can actually utilize.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I'm waiting for the 6-port version to come out. Once it does it'll be an instant buy from me. The power to watt ratio is the best on the market right now. Very low TDP with the new Intel V4 226 NICs.

The only thing I'm curious about is how many cores/threads OPNsense can actually utilize.
Interesting, did the vendor or manufacturer confirm 6-port version in in pipe? Any word on the ETA?

I bet with 8 cores, 16 threads, it won't break a sweat unless you're into heavy OpenVPN traffic at full speed.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Got my Topton V2 with the V3 225-B3 NICs a while ago. When I put Windows on it and ran some stress test, it went from 50c idle to 80c straight away. Repasting with NT-H1 paste didn't help - so I cleaned off the black varnish under the copper heatsink block, polished all surfaces and put a couple of layers of graphite based thermal pads from Innovation Cooling - cut to size. I also put some NT-H1 between the block and the case.

You can see from the silver area in the pic below where the varnish was sanded off - I tested the copper heatsink block with a hair dryer, heating it for 5~10 minutes and verifying that the block itself was cool and the case was getting steadily warmer - so it definitely wasn't a problem with the
block-to-case interface

Idle temps improved from 50c to 45c and load temps were ~ 70c. I used BurnInTest from Passmark as a quick and dirty solution for testing.

Thinking that I could do better - took a careful look and I found that the copper block was tilted and hence one side (in green) actually made good contact with the CPU but the other one (marked in blue) was tilted down and hence there was much less pressure on the SOC/PCH == bad heat transfer.

1665976233964.jpeg

I could have taken the whole copper assembly out and sanded the block or the underlying surface down - but instead got some copper shims and put a 0.5mm shim on one side and a 0.3mm shim on the other.

1665976266366.jpeg

If you're afraid of putting the shims on the CPU directly - after all there is no integrated heat spreader and you can easily crack the CPU if you put too thick a shim or use too much pressure - you can put the shims on the copper heatsink block

1665976365570.jpeg

My temps are now 30c idle and 50c under load, so I think that is as good as result as I can get with this CPU and case ...

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I asked Topton and this was the response I received.
I asked CWWK and they confirmed that there will be one, but there is no time frame as yet.

So basically blindfold yourself and keep throwing darts at a calendar! :p;)

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
I asked CWWK and they confirmed that there will be one, but there is no time frame as yet.

So basically blindfold yourself and keep throwing darts at a calendar! :p;)
I'd be willing to buy one and test. I just need someone to confirm how many cores OPNsense can utilize. It'd make the difference between choosing the Intel 11th gen i5s or Ryzens 5xxx 6 or 8 core CPUs.