Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

knight-of-ni

Feb 13, 2021
Yeah, like I said. It is on.
View attachment 24798

Try changing cryptographic hardware to cpu based acceleration.
I have tried that option too. Rebooted after making the change but the pfSense portal still says hardware crypto is inactive. Anyone else running pfSense with hardware crypto enabled? I could temporarily fall back to pfSense 2.6 to try to verify whether this is an artifact of 2.7 dev.

probably power limit kicked in or thermal or both

im still on windows testing voltages and bios version with CW v4..... but what is this

View attachment 24799

Max 2ghz ? then that spike might be an bad read ... is this a gui issue or the freq is somehow capped to 2ghz? .... have you seen it pass 2ghz ?

from my topton v3 days, i saw the same thing .... but never got to check if it really caps at 2ghz or not.

can you guys check ?
Agreed. This was not what I expected. I need to look into this....

gig

Sep 24, 2022
I have tried that option too. Rebooted after making the change but the pfSense portal still says hardware crypto is inactive. Anyone else running pfSense with hardware crypto enabled? I could temporarily fall back to pfSense 2.6 to try to verify whether this is an artifact of 2.7 dev.

Reactions: knight-of-ni

knight-of-ni

Feb 13, 2021
Ah great find. Makes total sense. I will focus on other things now....

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Active here.

1665554107984.png

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I'm at loksing.com Cn bought a J6412. They can bear the tariff for European customers. They will deliver it to me in 15 daysJ6412/J6413 six network ports i226 network card 2.5G soft routing mini
So you bought an N6005 & J6412, or did something get lost in translation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Temperature immediately spiked to ~70, but then settled down to 56 within just a few seconds. I'm guessing that initial spike was an erroneous reading.

Steady state temp was at 59 while running the test, which is good.
Ambient room temp was 25C
Anyway, like others, I have been mucking around with different TIM(s) and heatsinks which did kinda start out life as me wondering if the case material was too thick. Anyway, as the good Sir Knight-of-Ni described with his results, in a room at 25*c I managed to do 20 minutes of the N5105 at 4 cores@2600MHz at a top of 65*c, and when 'stress --cpu 4' was stopped it dropped back quickly to 42*c and then further after that which I was fairly happy with.

I was trying to rule in or out the mass of the case or a less dense heatsink and then the fan came out and I tried a few bios settings ;)
router_overclock.jpg

Last edited:

knight-of-ni

Feb 13, 2021
probably power limit kicked in or thermal or both

im still on windows testing voltages and bios version with CW v4..... but what is this

View attachment 24799

Max 2ghz ? then that spike might be an bad read ... is this a gui issue or the freq is somehow capped to 2ghz? .... have you seen it pass 2ghz ?

from my topton v3 days, i saw the same thing .... but never got to check if it really caps at 2ghz or not.

can you guys check ?
To compare, here is a screenshot of a Zotac mini pc w/ Intel N3450 running pfSense 2.6:
1665534378790.png

That cpu should burst to 2.2GHz.

Nothing was changed in the BIOS nor were any tunables added in pfSense config.

However, I see someone else posted an example of their N5105, and pfSense does report the burst speed.

Still scratching my head over this one.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
he was talking about PF 2.7 .... not 2.6

anyway...whats up with the 2ghz max freq? ...
it's a common pfsense/freebsd problem, it won't show the burst frequency, instead it shows 2001 (and not 2000).. the 1 at the end means whatever burst freq it can go.

since the base freq of the n5105 is 2.0Ghz and burst to 2.9Ghz, pfsense shows 2001 for the burst.

To compare, here is a screenshot of a Zotac mini pc w/ Intel N3450 running pfSense 2.6:
View attachment 24800

That cpu should burst to 2.2GHz.

Nothing was changed in the BIOS nor were any tunables added in pfSense config.

However, I see someone else posted an example of their N5105, and pfSense does report the burst speed.

Still scratching my head over this one.
same here, the 1 at the end of Max means that it burst to whatever the n3450 goes (2.2Ghz).

Reactions: knight-of-ni

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
it's a common pfsense/freebsd problem, it won't show the burst frequency, instead it shows 2001 (and not 2000).. the 1 at the end means whatever burst freq it can go.

since the base freq of the n5105 is 2.0Ghz and burst to 2.9Ghz, pfsense shows 2001 for the burst.

same here, the 1 at the end of Max means that it burst to whatever the n3450 goes (2.2Ghz).
ok...got it ...thanks for clearing that up

@BrutusBoots what bios are you running ?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I can confirm that the N6005 MHz does indeed boost on pfSense:
If you want to watch the frequency just cat out /proc/cpuinfo like you normally would. Your combination would then end up something like this with 1 second intervals.
Code:
watch -n.1 "grep \"^[c]pu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo"

knight-of-ni

Feb 13, 2021
If you want to watch the frequency just cat out /proc/cpuinfo like you normally would. Your combination would then end up something like this with 1 second intervals.
Code:
watch -n.1 "grep \"^[c]pu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo"
FreeBSD does not have /proc filesystem, nor does the watch command work quite the same as on Linux. Looks like calling sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq has the desired information. One could sed or grep for just the raw value, then perhaps use gnu-watch to run that on an interval.... or just stick it in a while loop in shell script. Maybe there is a FreeBSD expert who knows exactly how to do this...

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
FreeBSD does not have /proc filesystem, nor does the watch command work quite the same as on Linux. Looks like calling sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq has the desired information. One could sed or grep for just the raw value, then perhaps use gnu-watch to run that on an interval.... or just stick it in a while loop in shell script. Maybe there is a FreeBSD expert who knows exactly how to do this...
Sorry, I thought you were running Proxmox with pfSense sitting on top.