Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyruz

Oct 8, 2022
Hi guys, ordered this in july from Topton store. Sadly I didn't know about this thread at that time.

I repasted everything and got a 120mm fan on top of the case, running at 5v from the USB. Temperature dropped around ~10°C.

I was checking for a BIOS update but I can't find anything related to my motherboard: FMI07.

Moreover there is a strange KO sticker on the mainboard... But it does work. Anything to say about it?

Attachments

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Yup, I'm passing through three of the NICs to my opnSense VM and then I have one virtual NIC I'm using as a management port.
How do you get to the management port from within the LAN side? Are they the same IP range? I got eth0 and eth1 as slaves on the virtual bridge (vmbr0) and eth2 & eth3 as PCI passthrough to OPNSense VM - but sometimes i can't get to the 192.168.30.2 (Proxmox Mgmt interface) from the 30.x network ?!? 192.168.30.1 is the OPNSense VM . . .

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 13.49.14.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 13.50.36.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 13.50.14.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 13.49.34.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 13.58.44.png

Reactions: Stovar

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
How do you get to the management port from within the LAN side? Are they the same IP range? I got eth0 and eth1 as slaves on the virtual bridge (vmbr0) and eth2 & eth3 as PCI passthrough to OPNSense VM - but sometimes i can't get to the 192.168.30.2 (Proxmox Mgmt interface) from the 30.x network ?!? 192.168.30.1 is the OPNSense VM . . .

View attachment 24770
View attachment 24769View attachment 24771
View attachment 24772View attachment 24774
Create a bridge between the physical management port (usually 0) and another port on the router itself (any, except for the one you use for WAN). Set proxmox as a static IP, like 192.168.1.10. This way you will never be locked out of Proxmox.

You are using SPICE as display, I wouldn't suggest it since it take resources, go for default. You are using the Default machine (i440fx) I suggest you use q35. 8gb for OPNsense it's an overkill by the way, 3-4gb would suffice even if you use RAM disk.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Create a bridge between the physical management port (usually 0) and another port on the router itself (any, except for the one you use for WAN). Set proxmox as a static IP, like 192.168.1.10. This way you will never be locked out of Proxmox.
I thought I did that with the above configuration - the Promox virtual switch (vmbr0) is passed along to the OPNSense VM (virtio) along with the two physical NICs through PCI passthrough - then I bridged the above switch within OPNsense with the LAN side using an internal bridge together with the local LAN . . . Maybe it's a problem if I use virtio instead of e1000 for the vmbr0 when I pass it along to the VM ?!?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-08 um 14.35.04.png

Thanks for the other tips, BTW! Very helpful ;-)

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
You are using SPICE as display, I wouldn't suggest it since it take resources, go for default. You are using the Default machine (i440fx) I suggest you use q35. 8gb for OPNsense it's an overkill by the way, 3-4gb would suffice even if you use RAM disk.
Can I simply change the default machine type to q35 and restart or is it not that straight forward?!? Will i break my VM if I change it?

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Hi guys, ordered this in july from Topton store. Sadly I didn't know about this thread at that time.

I repasted everything and got a 120mm fan on top of the case, running at 5v from the USB. Temperature dropped around ~10°C.

I was checking for a BIOS update but I can't find anything related to my motherboard: FMI07.

Moreover there is a strange KO sticker on the mainboard... But it does work. Anything to say about it?

i suggest that you look to see if you have a gap between CPU and copper block and fix it, does way more then a bios update :).... search on this thread you will find images for what to look for when searching for the gap

Speaking of bios .....any one with the
Bios version JK4L v103
Bios date 07/30/2022

updated to the latest version ?

im curious of the changes ? .....

Does modifiying the voltages offsets stick ? ...cause with the exeption of IMON slope and OFFsets... settings nothing really changes anything.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022

Bios version JK4L v103
Bios date 07/30/2022

Latest BIOS ISO that Topton provided me last month was JK4V104, but then some on this thread posted screenshot with JK4LV105. When I inquired about it Topton insisted this JK4LV104 is the latest they got.

Anyway, BIOS update was a breeze. Unlike other mobos, their BIOS come as self-contained bootable ISO that can be made bootable on USB stick.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Yes i know is easy to update..i did it on my topton v3,aso did the rollback to the initial bios...and not with ventoy...wad not available then

Now im on Cw v4 and it has more options...for example on v3 i did not had the OC sub menu
But changing option there appear to have no effect

one q for you .... i saw this on previous unit when i had pfsense installed baremetal ...

Is the CPU max freq 2ghz capped by pfsense or is just a display bug, or is just displaying the base freq of the cpu?

i remember seeing it go to lower freq but no higher than 2ghz, so i guess is not just displaying the base freq

Last edited:

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022

View attachment 24770
View attachment 24769View attachment 24771
View attachment 24772View attachment 24774
I basically created a new private network bridge in proxmox and added it to both my opnsense VM and an ubuntu VM. I can always fire up the ubuntu VM and access opnSense that way if I get locked out lan side... if that makes any sense

cyruz

Oct 8, 2022

i suggest that you look to see if you have a gap between CPU and copper block and fix it, does way more then a bios update :).... search on this thread you will find images for what to look for when searching for the gap

Bios version JK4L v103
Bios date 07/30/2022

im curious of the changes ? .....

Does modifiying the voltages offsets stick ? ...cause with the exeption of IMON slope and OFFsets... settings nothing really changes anything.
I checked before the repaste, but no, I didn't see any gap. Temperature are good, idling at ~34C with the 120mm fan on top. The only issue is the SSD reaching ~60C under stress.

I was looking for the bios just to update, not for a particular reason. Didn't update yet by the way...

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Good temps, not to sound a smartass or any thing,but i have those temps without anything active cooling

You checked by removing the nic heatshing and check for light passthrough ?....Did you have spaceers on the cpu and removed it?

You can put a lower powered ssd as highend ones will not reach their performace performance anyway....and for firewall duties are just fine

Cw support say that n5105 cannot be undervolted :( according to their engineers... Thats a bummer

agent_kenshin

Aug 25, 2022
Update to my 6x N5105 Topton Unit running Proxmox Edge Kernel 5.19.7-1 + Intel microcode installed for past 30 days. I have had zero problems with 2 Linux guests that I have been running for 30 days without any issues. I noticed that people are still having issues freezes in the Proxmox edge kernel thread with these N5105 units even on kernels past the 5.19.7-1 I am using.

I have been using these for some ipref3 testing and troubleshooting some packages for my other systems. I have built some packages from source which some of them have took 6-12 hours to build giving the VM's 1-2 CPU's and I have had no issues with freezing under max load or at idle.

However my TrueNas Core VM that I have been using for testing/learning for another project froze at 100% CPU usage after 13 days. I came back and felt the unit pretty hot just sitting my desk which I noticed the CPU usage for the guest had been at 100% for over 8 hours. Trying to figure out what's going on inside this guest. The freezing under the baseline kernel of the Linux guests would be at idle or package builds from source would not complete and uploading ISO's would be only be a a few Mbit/s.

My OpnSense instance with 2x cores has been running without any freezes for over 20 days which is used for testing and I have not intergrated it into my netowrk. I have 5x IOMMU ports configured via a LAN bridge in OpnSense via using this guide to make use of the additional ports (I know not ideal) since I am currently lacking a good switch I have it top out at 2.0-2.1Gbps during my iperf3 tests going from the unit to a W10 client using the 2.5Gb Realtek RTL8125B. I am looking to try OpenWRT and VyOS just to explore other options.

I was planning on doing a major data migration using this unit as a huge test but the Realtek RTL8125B nics though a wrench into this plan. I discovered only a couple of weeks ago that TrueNas Core 13 has these disabled these nics by default because of data corruption through ISCSI. I instead ordered a couple of Mellanox Connect-x3's for peer to peer.

Will keep everyone updated

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I was planning on doing a major data migration using this unit as a huge test but the Realtek RTL8125B nics though a wrench into this plan. I discovered only a couple of weeks ago that TrueNas Core 13 has these disabled these nics by default because of data corruption through ISCSI. I instead ordered a couple of Mellanox Connect-x3's for peer to peer.

Will keep everyone updated
Don't forget about these i225v-B3 NIC(s); https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003826470053.html
They are cheap and the seller is really quick with postage too. I have even checked all the chips on mine and the serial checks out to be the B3 i225 chip.

Reactions: agent_kenshin

cyruz

Oct 8, 2022
Good temps, not to sound a smartass or any thing,but i have those temps without anything active cooling

You checked by removing the nic heatshing and check for light passthrough ?....Did you have spaceers on the cpu and removed it?

You can put a lower powered ssd as highend ones will not reach their performace performance anyway....and for firewall duties are just fine

Cw support say that n5105 cannot be undervolted :( according to their engineers... Thats a bummer
Oh, don't worry, any help is appreciated!

I actually checked for light with a flashlight but I didn't remove the nic heatsink. No spacers on the cpu.

At the moment I feel like the temperature is on the ok side so probably I won't redo the paste. But I will keep monitoring it, summer is finished and I have the feeling that when we will have that ~10C increase the situation will be completely different.

Regarding the SSD, yeah I have a NVME but it was recycled from another machine. It will be used as Unraid cache, so should it break, the loss won't be so important. Maybe I will try to study a way to put the fan inside with a bracket, but my only issue is that I have a 2.5 helper drive inside as well :D

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I gotta say, I'm loving my rig. I have proxmox setup hosting opnSense, AdGuard and a few misc Linux VM's ... it's working fantastic!

Being able to do a snapshot before messing with opnSense settings is amazing.