Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Hi all, I ordered the N5105 modelA from the following ali shop. Is this the famous v4? I'm totally lost in this version saga.
Yes

I would assume the feature to look for in order to determine the version is the possibility to install 2 SSD ( 2nd one via a small passive pcb)
Am I right ?
Not quite. The v3 introduced the new PCB layout that allows for the second NVMe SSD via the daughter board. The v4 was just a v3 with the intel i225 nics updated to the i226. In line with what @dazagrt said.

I've finally received/tested JMB585 based SATA port adapter.
Good news is that it is working and ads 5 STATA ports. I was able to boot Ubuntu from SSD connected to port adapter.
Bad news is that it is not compatible with Samsung NVMe disk (980) :(
So I would like to ask if anyone has experience running V3/V4 with 2 NVMe's?
What brands/models allow to run 2 NVMe's simultaneously?
Again, shout out to @dazagrt. There is only one clock signal available between the m.2 and PCIe slot. It appears that all Samsung drives require a clock signal.
In your case it would seem that the JMB585 adapter also requires a clock signal so they will not work together.
I have found that the Seagate BarraCuda 510 range does not require a clock so should work. I'm not sure what other drives people have got working.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
120mm 12V fan in there running off a USB port (5V). Unit at full load all day today and temps sit @ 54C ... can't hear the fan at all. This unit is just sitting on a shelf under my desk so going to go with this setup. Will print a final draft version tomorrow.
Luv it! but maybe larger intake holes?
Or don't even reinvent the wheel and just use a std 120mm fan blade shield.

fan_grill.jpg

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
<snip>
There is only one clock signal available between the m.2 and PCIe slot. It appears that all Samsung drives require a clock signal.
In your case it would seem that the JMB585 adapter also requires a clock signal so they will not work together.
I have found that the Seagate BarraCuda 510 range does not require a clock so should work. I'm not sure what other drives people have got working.
The WD blues SN550 also work.
Product link for info only - not a buy link.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Thanks for looking that up. Yeah, see the same audio device on my machine too, but doing passthrough on 00:1f.3 did not bring audio to life sadly. Have to poke around more...

Too bad, Windows 10 VM with 11th GPU drivers is not playing well and throw infamous "Code 43" error, mostly likely driver issue. Would be interesting to know if anyone figured this one out.
It's probably 2-sided:

- Sound needs the HD Audio bus which seems to be some sort of embedded transport between the PCH and the DAC (sound isn't pure PCIe)
- Some composite devices (like the PCH) are hard-wired in a way that makes them nearly un-sharable (sometimes that applies to the iGPU too)

Intel likes the segment the market so for them (to make more money) it makes sense to make cheap parts that cut features so that when you need the (what they see as) enterprise features you have to get the expensive stuff.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Guys ...im telling you .... i dont think we need any fans or stuff like that.

1665157449444.png

Again smart device dumb user ....im really off my game this days....i forgot to turn off the updates and the machine rebooted during the night so as a promised a 8 hours plus of prime session i only got about 4

1665157739194.png

this is without any fans at room temp ... about 23-24C .... just lap and gap :)

looks like the PL values set in Bios are ignored and 20W is max ...then goes to 15w where it stays there....maybe with the newer Bios that say PL gate was lifted it will go higher, but i dont mind the 20w limit.... is decent

Based on this .... and im looking in to it, i think we can make all cores around 2.5ghz if we accept a 70c.

Fan for sure will help .... but in real life you wont see that abuse on the CPU .... so i think in usual workloads temps will be around 35-40C ..... which is fine by me....idle temps where below 30C
And the Disk temps are not bad ....around 60C .....given the fact that the case is soaked with heat.

I think we should focus a bit on undervolting this CPU ... im not sure how to do it, but i changed stuff in the OC menu in the bios...but still i dont have a method just random settings trying.
To bad that we cannot throttle stop to work on the voltages ... all options in FIVR are greyed out for me...cause it would be a nice way to find the lower stable voltages.

LE : after about one hour with a 120mm fan powered by usb just for giggles

1665162326157.png

Last edited:

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Again, shout out to @dazagrt. There is only one clock signal available between the m.2 and PCIe slot. It appears that all Samsung drives require a clock signal.
Yes my question probably could have been rephrased to "Do you know what NVMe's doesn't require reservation of clock instance", but I chose simpler alternative.
Also as csgrullon already pointed out, clock theory rules out existence of 6 interface routers :)
Thanks for pointing out BarraCuda 510!

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Guys ...im telling you .... i dont think we need any fans or stuff like that.
Sure - the CPU won't need that. TJmax is 105°C, so even at 80° it's perfectly fine.
What's causing problems is the trapped heat inside the case and NVME drives that still can't deal with such temperatures.
Mine are sitting at ~70°C so I really don't care especially because I use them as they were intedended - as simple networking appliances (router/gateway/firewall/vpn...). I added fans on 2 of them because they will be running in branch offices without A/C and might see ambient temperatures well above 30°C - so it's more of a precaution to mitigate possible problems with the NVME drives.
But folks here often seem to bastardize such systems as NAS or Virutalization hosts which (especially with windows guests) completely thrash their drives. So if you alienate these systems for such purposes, active cooling will be an absolute must.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
But folks here often seem to bastardize such systems as NAS or Virutalization hosts which (especially with windows guests) completely thrash their drives. So if you alienate these systems for such purposes, active cooling will be an absolute must.
Back in the days we were running routers on ASICS and NASes on x86. And all of the sudden it's bastardization :)

neo243

Sep 14, 2022
Can anyone tell me what kernel was installed with a baseline proxmox installation?
Also if anyone uses an opnsense with pci passthrough can someone ping it and tell me they ms it takes?

upgrading the kernel to 5.19 made my opnsense vm crash for the first time.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Sure - the CPU won't need that. TJmax is 105°C, so even at 80° it's perfectly fine.
What's causing problems is the trapped heat inside the case and NVME drives that still can't deal with such temperatures.
Mine are sitting at ~70°C so I really don't care especially because I use them as they were intedended - as simple networking appliances (router/gateway/firewall/vpn...). I added fans on 2 of them because they will be running in branch offices without A/C and might see ambient temperatures well above 30°C - so it's more of a precaution to mitigate possible problems with the NVME drives.
yeah...mine also .... the solution is buy cheap ssd that runs cooler since going ham on all fastest nvme does not bring the speed due to the pcie cap ... so that would also fix the issue

still wanna try to undervolt ...during winter i dont think fans is necesasry .... might be in the middle of summer

for the intended use a 2,5 hdd will also do the job :)

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
my Topton unit with the Techvision board is running flawlessly since 2 weeks as my production firewall, doing the bios optimization and fixing the cpu/heatsink gap on the slim chassis did really good (i have a 80mm fan in the chassis downvolted @7v, basically silent).

max temp under speedtest (gigabit) is 42°C, idle is 33°C (ambient temp 24°C).

doing 2.5g transfer via lan2-lan3 uses about 55% cpu, so it's fine.

1665145334019.png

love this little dude.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
It's been two days and I haven't had any issues with VM freezes in proxmox. Not sure how frequently it happened to those who experienced it?

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
my Topton unit with the Techvision board is running flawlessly since 2 weeks as my production firewall, doing the bios optimization and fixing the cpu/heatsink gap on the slim chassis did really good (i have a 80mm fan in the chassis downvolted @7v, basically silent).

max temp under speedtest (gigabit) is 42°C, idle is 33°C (ambient temp 24°C).

doing 2.5g transfer via lan2-lan3 uses about 55% cpu, so it's fine.

View attachment 24763

love this little dude.
Which BIOS optimizations did you do?

Reactions: kociubin

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
It's been two days and I haven't had any issues with VM freezes in proxmox. Not sure how frequently it happened to those who experienced it?
For me, VM crash would occur once or twice a day with non-edge kernel on Proxmox.

Currently running v5.19.12-1. I see newer v5.19.14-1 out this morning.

Anybody knows when these edge kernel will merge into official v5.19 Proxmox kernel?

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
For info, you can use the official Proxmox repository to upgrade the kernel. It's not at the bleeding edge but it's directly from them.
  • apt update
  • apt install pve-kernel-5.19
  • reboot

Reactions: anterus