Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Yeah too late for me anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I received this one 166.55US $ 46% de réduction|Mini PC Pentium N6005 de 11e génération, ordinateur avec processeur intel i226 V, 2.5G, TPM2.0, 3x4K UHD, OPNs, Fanless, ESXi Proxmox | AliExpress with N6005 / 4GB / 128GB NVMe for €280, and I'm sure it'll be an ES CPU based on review here I'm already mad. But no way I send it back.

Also, Wireguard run at 100% CPU on OPNsense with wireguard-kmod over an 1 GB/s link, may it be because it's an ES CPU, or it has nothing to do with it ?
I don't think it's ES. These accounts were in the first batches of the old version.
I believe that after V3, the Retail versions of the N6005 were used.
About your wireguard question, it has no influence... The fact that it is ES/QS would only be about the chip's quality/frequency/voltage.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Hi !

I'm reading this very useful thread but I might have missed answers to a couple of questions...

I'd like to buy one or two of those jasper like 4x 2.5 mini pc to replace my i7-3770 proxmox cluster (dell optiplex)

* I live in EU so buying from aliexpress is risky ( vat, 30€ fee from belgian custom....)
* I found this on amazon https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0BCKVJT1L/ where all taxes are included.
* there are 2 models: RJ03L adn RJ03M does someone know the differences ?

I have a few questions:
* Did someone buy from the same seller ? HUNSN
* where can I download bios/drivers updates ?
* is this board compatible with 32GB ram sticks ? ( like https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07ZLCVKPV/ )

Thanks in advance
Etienne
I asked the question regarding the two models on the German Amazon website - here's their answer:

Greetings. RJ03l with an extra PCB adapter board for M.2 2280 NVME SSD and it supports 2 x M.2 2280 NVME SSD.
RJ03m without the PCB adapter board for M.2 2280 NVME SSD, supports 1 x M.2 2280 NVME SSD.
Thank you for your kind attention.

Cheers -

Reactions: ech1965

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
I asked the question regarding the two models on the German Amazon website - here's their answer:

Greetings. RJ03l with an extra PCB adapter board for M.2 2280 NVME SSD and it supports 2 x M.2 2280 NVME SSD.
RJ03m without the PCB adapter board for M.2 2280 NVME SSD, supports 1 x M.2 2280 NVME SSD.
Thank you for your kind attention.

Cheers -
Thanks ! I read it on amazon.de page.
Do you know if they hosts bios and drivers installers ?

I'm also wondering if there if active management technology is available ? Intel Active Management Technology - Wikipedia

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Thanks ! I read it on amazon.de page.
Do you know if they hosts bios and drivers installers ?

I'm also wondering if there if active management technology is available ? Intel Active Management Technology - Wikipedia
BIOS and drivers are not readily available as far as I can see (no easy support site, etc) - as for the Intel stuff - I don't think so because vPro Family processors doesn't include Celerons

Reactions: ech1965

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
BIOS and drivers are not readily available as far as I can see (no easy support site, etc) - as for the Intel stuff - I don't think so because vPro Family processors doesn't include Celerons
Thanks for the info.
I hope they will broadcast bios update to their clients because with such a new platform, ... it's manadatory!

Reactions: rfox

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
I hope they will broadcast bios update to their clients because with such a new platform, ... it's manadatory!
1. Nothing is mandatory, you get what you pay for. As far as I know, Celerons don't have vPro support.
2. They (CWWK, the motherboard maker) do provide BIOSes (and sometimes they even screw up); drivers are widely available online, including on the Intel website.
3. The BIOS of CWWK is wildly open, that means all the features that the CPU supports are there and openly configurable, it's a full AMI BIOS (to be honest, it's even too 'open')
4. If you need vPro, considering the numerous security issues it has and also factoring in that you will access a machine below the OS, I wouldn't go for an unknown board maker. Just my 2c.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Also, Wireguard run at 100% CPU on OPNsense with wireguard-kmod over an 1 GB/s link, may it be because it's an ES CPU, or it has nothing to do with it ?
Not really fond of what OPNsense is doing with Wireguard, but on pfSense Plus with an N6005 and a 2,5gbps link it used 37% CPU on 1,7gbps speedtest.

Reactions: podonovan

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
1. Nothing is mandatory, you get what you pay for. As far as I know, Celerons don't have vPro support.
2. They (CWWK, the motherboard maker) do provide BIOSes (and sometimes they even screw up); drivers are widely available online, including on the Intel website.
3. The BIOS of CWWK is wildly open, that means all the features that the CPU supports are there and openly configurable, it's a full AMI BIOS (to be honest, it's even too 'open')
4. If you need vPro, considering the numerous security issues it has and also factoring in that you will access a machine below the OS, I wouldn't go for an unknown board maker. Just my 2c.
I'm still hesitating before pulling the trigger and buy a couple of those beasts ;-)
I was not sure the mainboard in HUNSN devices was also made by CWWK
I do not "need" vpro, it's just an handy way to access to remote console in my home lab without having to resort to yet another device ( PiKVM - Open and inexpensive DIY IP-KVM on Raspberry Pi )
Your advice makes a lot of sense ( trusting board makers)

Rdxzv

Sep 11, 2022
Not really fond of what OPNsense is doing with Wireguard, but on pfSense Plus with an N6005 and a 2,5gbps link it used 37% CPU on 1,7gbps speedtest.
Well, this is very weird. Starting to thing it doesn't run in kernel but I have installed wireguard-kmod so I just can't think of anything else. It seems to be capping at around 800Mb/s and the CPU bar in OPNsense GUI is literally at 100%.

EDIT : Well I must've missed something, uninstalling wireguard-kmod fix the CPU usage it seems ?? (Still 30% for 700Mb/s) but that way better. No idea for now as to why.

EDIT 2 : Nevermind the CPU usage seems to be almost the same

EDIT 3 : So no. It's in fact way better without wireguard-kmod installed. Around 30-50% cpu over a 1gb/s link without kmod.

Last edited:

csgrullon

Aug 4, 2022
How can i check if i got an ES processor from within Proxmox?
Or can i only check it with a windows install?

sko

Jun 11, 2021
try
Code:
sysctl hw.model
otherwise look at the full output of lscpu. shouldn't 'ES' show up as the stepping?

Rdxzv

Sep 11, 2022
try
Code:
sysctl hw.model
otherwise look at the full output of lscpu. shouldn't 'ES' show up as the stepping?
hw.model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N6005 @ 2.00GHz

Possible, lscpu says stepping: 0

dmidecode -t 4 seems to output more info

dmidecode 3.4
# SMBIOS entry point at 0x74c7b000
Found SMBIOS entry point in EFI, reading table from /dev/mem.
SMBIOS 3.3 present.

Handle 0x0045, DMI type 4, 48 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: U3E1
Type: Central Processor
Family: Pentium
Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
ID: C0 06 09 00 FF FB EB BF
Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 156, Stepping 0
Flags:
FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
VME (Virtual mode extension)
DE (Debugging extension)
PSE (Page size extension)
TSC (Time stamp counter)
MSR (Model specific registers)
PAE (Physical address extension)
MCE (Machine check exception)
CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
SEP (Fast system call)
MTRR (Memory type range registers)
PGE (Page global enable)
MCA (Machine check architecture)
CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
PAT (Page attribute table)
PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
DS (Debug store)
ACPI (ACPI supported)
MMX (MMX technology supported)
FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)
SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
SS (Self-snoop)
HTT (Multi-threading)
TM (Thermal monitor supported)
PBE (Pending break enabled)
Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N6005 @ 2.00GHz
Voltage: 1.2 V
External Clock: 100 MHz
Max Speed: 3300 MHz
Current Speed: 3300 MHz
Upgrade: Other
L1 Cache Handle: 0x0042
L2 Cache Handle: 0x0043
L3 Cache Handle: 0x0044
Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Core Count: 4
Core Enabled: 4
Thread Count: 4
Characteristics:
64-bit capable
Multi-Core
Execute Protection
Enhanced Virtualization
Power/Performance Control

Last edited:

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
I do not "need" vpro, it's just an handy way to access to remote console in my home lab without having to resort to yet another device ( PiKVM - Open and inexpensive DIY IP-KVM on Raspberry Pi )
I connect remotely using Wireguard on pfsense, that way I access directly the Proxmox pve shell from a browser. If you have a raspberry around use PiVPN, very simple way to have a wireguard server at home, it literally takes a couple of minutes.

Reactions: dazagrt

Infinitatus

Sep 13, 2022
Ali-express is also selling Elkart lake procesors in mini routers. Anybody knows how they compare to N5105/6005?

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Ali-express is also selling Elkart lake procesors in mini routers. Anybody knows how they compare to N5105/6005?
J6413 seems to be about the same performance as the N5105 according to cpubenchmark.net (not many samples in the DB).
But be aware, they have mSATA and SATA connectors, no NVME. Might be good because less heat, might be bad because mSATA is a weird format and good disks are rare.
The other differences are quite obvious, two additional network ports, com port, less display outputs, no USB-C.
So it depends probably on your personal preferences.

Reactions: Infinitatus

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
I'm still hesitating before pulling the trigger and buy a couple of those beasts ;-)
I was not sure the mainboard in HUNSN devices was also made by CWWK
Your advice makes a lot of sense ( trusting board makers)
i would say go for the aliexprex CW .... i am in EU

first unit i bought was N5015 v3 from topton ...came to my door by courier in 2 week .... free shipping no tax payed in EU .... they have seller shipping method.

i sold it locally,( in profit :))) ) and ordered again this time from CW store the new version of 5105 with i226.....payed small shipping fee something like 5EUR and asked them to put a smaller value than 150EUR on the package for tax and they did that.
now im waiting to see how it will came ... if is by courier ... most likely is will not be taxed again .... if is by national post office ... it might.

you need to do the math .... how much more can they tax you ?....is the the difference big ?

also take in consideration the support ....for example this forum where many ppl have the same boards, you can get answers , ideas for mods, settings ..... if you have a different board or bios things can be harder, and you over complicate your life for 10 -15 eur extra ..... my 2 cents (eurocents :)) )

Reactions: dazagrt