Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
@rfox you have had any luck getting an update from Loksing on this ribbon cable? Their website is strange and won't let me send them an email without an order number :confused:
Unfortunately, no luck so far! :( Loksing actually is pretty good at answering over the website chat function . . . just keep in mind the time differences :rolleyes:

As for my 5800U - I actually have been slightly distracted learning the "ins and outs" of VLANs and trunking under ProxMox & virtualized OPNSense together with managed switches (Netgear GS308T & QNap 2108) o_O - have been running a J4125 four port I225 unit since May and using it as guinea pig for my mad experiments (before I put the 5800U in production) - Fun to learn new things, but can be quite frustrating at times - and sometimes I kick myself for making my home network (and life) more complex than it really needs to be! ;) I have quite an investment of FritzBox products as well - so still using the Fritz as a DECT basis (Telephone) and WiFi Mesh - but would like to eventually segregate the IoT stuff as well . . . :confused:

Long story short - not enough time to "play" with my new toy!

Happy Holidays to all from Germany!

Reactions: GreenAvacado

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
Random question. If you run memtest86 off a usb does it automatically restart after it completes the testings? I noticed that pfsense on this box has been restarting randomly so I'm running memtest. Issue is I left it for a long time and when I came back it showed that it was on round 1 and had only been running for 15min.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
i think you can set up memtest to run indefinitely for multiple passes of each round. So i'd set it to do that.

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
It just did it again, this time I'm positive it did not get to the configured 4/4 runs. Can this be a memory issue causing a full system restart? Kind of thought memtest was designed to show you the errors instead of just restarting.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
it could be anything, from RAM or CPU or heat or power delivery.

would start first with RAM. drop to 1 stick only, ideally of a known good stick.

and checks the temps on the CPU, maybe you have an overheating model.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Random question. If you run memtest86 off a usb does it automatically restart after it completes the testings? I noticed that pfsense on this box has been restarting randomly so I'm running memtest. Issue is I left it for a long time and when I came back it showed that it was on round 1 and had only been running for 15min.
memtest should not restart. If it does, then your system is not stable. What processor do you have and how much memory is installed? I had issues with memtest causing the system to restart but that was when I was using more memory than the processor officially supports (i.e. 32GB and 64GB on N5105/N6005).

Reactions: Stovar

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
I've got the N5100 and it's a single stick of 8GB. That's all I have, sadly, for DDR4, otherwise I'd try something else. When pfsense was running my cpu temps were very reasonable, like 27C so I think I'm ok there. If this issue continues I'll buy another stick. Maybe I'll try turning the memory speeds down a notch from what it detects, which is 3200.

My board model is GF-1338NP-12 rev 1.4. There's a jumper on it that just says JP ME. Anyone happen to know what that is for?

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
follow up

Test with Prime95 Version 30.8 build 17

bios untouched - temp after run 15 min of prime
58 degrees become 62 degrees after 30 min, 66 degrees after 60 min, 69 degrees after 120 min
The case itself was 19 degrees before startup and become 42 degrees after 60min
This is the proof that the heat dissipation is correct
Power measured at plug around 24W during test instead of 8W idle
yeah ....the freq was my question not the thermals ,
hmm then maybe my cpu does not reach 2.8ghz .... or maybe is just the windows ... this is not apple to apple ..... still waiting for a bios update from CW

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
I've got the N5100 and it's a single stick of 8GB. That's all I have, sadly, for DDR4, otherwise I'd try something else. When pfsense was running my cpu temps were very reasonable, like 27C so I think I'm ok there. If this issue continues I'll buy another stick. Maybe I'll try turning the memory speeds down a notch from what it detects, which is 3200.

My board model is GF-1338NP-12 rev 1.4. There's a jumper on it that just says JP ME. Anyone happen to know what that is for?
N5100 supports max 2933. Try forcing the speed to 2400 or 2666 and see if memtest completes.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022

This may help:

As for the Intel ME question:

BobS

Reactions: anterus

hammonds

Dec 26, 2017
Is there a post somewhere that outlines the difference between all the versions of the same box? I had a decent look but didn't find much, also has V5 actually been released yet or is it still in the works?

From what I can tell v4 has the usb C port, but that's about it so far.

Thanks!

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Maybe someone here knows what this crash might be. N6005 version. OPNsense on Proxmox. No useful logs from OPNsense. VM shows a yellow paused symbol and says "internet-error" after this happens.
I also have been having my opnsense VM crash with an "internal-error" with no obvious cause after it's up for a day or two, not sure what the problem is. the proxmox log says "KVM internal error. Suberror: 3 " it may have happened after a recent opnsense update? or maybe I changed something in bios.d the

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
I also have been having my opnsense VM crash with an "internal-error" with no obvious cause after it's up for a day or two, not sure what the problem is. the proxmox log says "KVM internal error. Suberror: 3 " it may have happened after a recent opnsense update? or maybe I changed something in bios.d the
Do you have C-states enabled in BIOS and "Use PowerD" enabled in OPNsense? If so, try disabling both of those. If I have C-States and PowerD both set to enabled, I can replicate failures in pfsense and opnsense (on N5105 and N6005). If both of those are off, the emulation failures go away. If you look in dmesg or the system logs, you should see some indicator of the problem, although the problem itself isn't clear.

Reactions: DomFel

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Do you have C-states enabled in BIOS and "Use PowerD" enabled in OPNsense? If so, try disabling both of those. If I have C-States and PowerD both set to enabled, I can replicate failures in pfsense and opnsense (on N5105 and N6005). If both of those are off, the emulation failures go away. If you look in dmesg or the system logs, you should see some indicator of the problem, although the problem itself isn't clear.
okay I just disabled powerd in opnsense. Just a hunch that's the better thing to disable based off esxi experience where they say power savings in the guest vm's dont' really matter

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
I've noticed a concerning issue... The cpu temp on my unit seems to report 27.9C all the time in pfsense.....

Last edited:

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
I've noticed a concerning issue... The cpu temp on my unit seems to report 27.9C all the time in pfsense.....
If you're running pfsense/opnsense, enable "Intel Core* CPU on-die thermal sensor (coretemp)". That should get you the right temp in their UIs.

OPNsense: System > Settings > Miscellaneous > Thermal Sensors
pfsense: System > Advacned > Miscellaneous > Thermal Sensors

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
If you're running pfsense/opnsense, enable "Intel Core* CPU on-die thermal sensor (coretemp)". That should get you the right temp in their UIs.

OPNsense: System > Settings > Miscellaneous > Thermal Sensors
pfsense: System > Advacned > Miscellaneous > Thermal Sensors
I didnt even know that was there, nor the AES NI setting!

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Check > System > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Cryptographic & Thermal Harware > Thermal Sensors and check that "Intel Core*CPU on-die themal sensor is the selection.

Next on the Dashboard Menu, do you have the "Thermal Sensors" Widget installed?

BobS