Thoughts on this an SYS-4027GR-TR

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by Revrnd, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Revrnd

Revrnd Member

Hi all,

Just came across this SYS-4027GR-TR chassis as an alternative to an SYS-4029GR-TRT2 (single income family so need to be cost conscious)

I know it appears that they've been used for Crypto mining, but with the lack of an SSD backplane, what would you guys consider a "reasonable offer" to present for one of these machines.

Machine is going to be built up as a GPU render server for Rendertoken, can also be used for Machine Learning (ie. VectorDash).

I was considering offering $1500 - $1750 AUD due to its vintage and the fact it's missing some components.

2. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

That asking price is high. The 4028GR-TR is the newer model and they cost $3500 USD brand new. At $3600 AU that's like $2700 USD. Older gen and missing pieces.

Missing the backplane isn't something I'd take lightly. Deep learning you'd want the single root. They've stolen the STH image for deeplearning11 https://www.servethehome.com/deeple...0-ti-single-root-deep-learning-server-part-1/

It's still a hard to find machine and you can change the PCIe riser or the mobo to update the system. I'd say $1700-2000 AU

Revrnd likes this.
  3. Revrnd

Revrnd Member

I thought it was quite a high asking price for that server given as you say the 4028GR-TR is $3500, and the 4029GP-TRT2 is only $4700 USD which is the LGA 3647 architecture.

lack of the backplane I guess means that I can't set up a RAID 5 array for storage or anything.

Edit: I thought that pic looked familiar but it didn't click until I compared them. lol. Gotta love ebay for that.

4. Revrnd

Revrnd Member

MiniKnight, thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can convince the Ebayer that they're ridiculously overpriced for an incomplete chassis.

5. William

William Active Member

Are you planning on running that at home ?
    I know when I had one of those here it was very loud, I mean VERY loud. In addition, I could not run it at full load as it pulled like 3K watts. Of course different GPU's would change that number, but still it pulls a ton of power.

6. Revrnd

Revrnd Member

plan is to source a 9U - 12U rack (so I've room to expand with another 1 (or 2) depending on space.

I know a good electrician so getting a 15A+ outlet or three set up isn't an issue.

Looking at RenderToken and/or Leonardo Render and failing those, perhaps set up for VectorDash.

7. Revrnd

Revrnd Member

Well.. a bit of an update. Turns out the company who has the server rack on Ebay aren't willing to negotiate on price for even a barebones chassis.

Looks like I'll be investigating the 4028 or 4029 now. Not worth paying premium price for something that's incomplete when I can buy new and get everything that's meant to be in the box... plus warranty (and a better choice of CPUs to boot).