Thermal Trip issue with Icelake workstation DIY build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

calais86

Mar 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get the group's thoughts / insight. I have a DIY Icelake workstation build that keeps shutdowning. Details as follows:
CPU: Xeon W-3335
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X12SPA-TF-O
Cooler: NH-U14S DX-4189
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: RTX 4090 Founders
Memory: 512GB, 8 sticks

The workstation shutdowns down after being on for several minutes, even if it is just idling. I have the fans in the BMC set to run full speed. The BMC will show "Sensor Type CPLD" and Description [CPLD-0018] CPU1 THERMAL TRIP - Assertion. However, the CPU stays at around 66 C. Never goes above 70 even when running Cinebench. The Xeon W-3335 shouldn't throttle until around 100 C. And it isn't throttling. Until it shutdown, HWiNFO64 shows it hitting the power limit of 250W with the CPU package temp between 65C - 70C. As noted above, the CPU is cooled by a NH-U14S DX-4189. I have reset the BMC and played with all of the BIOS CPU settings. Same thing.

I have not tried to re-paste the CPU, but again, it seems like it isn't really overheating. Could it be a VRM / motherboard issue? An issue with the Corsair PSU?

Any thoughts? Anyone experience a similar issue with a Supermicro and, if so, how did you resolve?

Thanks!