THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Kinda off topic but you don't really need much knowledge you just need to know not to trade individual stocks and buy index funds instead. It's that simple. Def don't try timing the market, technical analysis, or any such nonsense hoping to beat the market when all you need to do i save/invest what you can in funds
Yep put 10% or more if you can of income in an index fund each month, don't look at it and wake up at retirement age with million or million(s). The earlier age you start the better.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Kinda off topic but you don't really need much knowledge you just need to know not to trade individual stocks and buy index funds instead. It's that simple. Def don't try timing the market, technical analysis, or any such nonsense hoping to beat the market when all you need to do i save/invest what you can in funds
Yep put 10% or more if you can of income in an index fund each month, don't look at it and wake up at retirement age with million or million(s). The earlier age you start the better.
If this is the sentiment today, then it reminds me of late 2006/2007 ... People tend to believe the only way is up.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
If this is the sentiment today, then it reminds me of late 2006/2007 ... People tend to believe the only way is up.
Michael Burry sees index funds as being in a huge bubble. Given that valuations have been getting out of whack on the heavily indexed securities, and what with money flows favoring them for quite some time, it's easy to see the logic in this position.

At the same time, "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." Just because something eventually has to end, doesn't mean you'll make money betting on it ending.

Reactions: Bert

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
you don't really need much knowledge you just need to know not to trade individual stocks
True, however most people expect to profit from trading. However in the real world, if you try trading without knowledge, you are very unlikely to profit. Ability to do something != properly doing it.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not sure what you mean but since solo plots are still valid netspace will not suddenly restart at 0... most will slowly replace solo with pooling plots, so maybe some fluctuation but would not expect a huge drop

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Just meant if you want to join a pool you will have to re-plot and therefore to delete old plots. For me this means network space should drop. I agree with you that it will not drop on a massive scale.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
How many plots?
Which pool are you planning to join?
Will replot all of them :).

Have just over 100TB worth filled last week but no Chia yet (2 month ETA). Might as well farm solo and replot one drive at a time so can play both sides (solo and pool) untill fully cut over. The old plots can only be used for Solo and the new ones will be for Pool.

So far, 4TB replotted and have won 0.0003 Chia is around 10 hours.

Using Mad Max plotter (it has been updated) and have two servers replotting, 1 plot every 30 mins (NVME & RamDisk) & 1 plot every 1h (SSD and NVME). I have a third server that is still missing in the post (2 months shipping from DE) ......

I have joined Space pool. The owners Youtube seems reasonible and honest. Other Youtubers have also suggested they would join. The pool is on 27PiB with an eta of 1 Chia / 7 hours (for the pool as a whole).

I have a fair amount of Mojo from grabbing from faucets every now and then so easy to move if it doesn't work out.

One thing I will have to check tomorrow is that the Space pool user dashboard is only showing 50% of my plots.

Also the new Windows client seens to be having a few issues with slow proof checking and is even trying to ban itself for 10 seconds (which it cannot do). It also does not update the number of available pool plots without a restart.

I looked at trying the Linux GUI, to get away from Windows, but just hit lots of dependency issues with npm and that is not my area of expertise.

Reactions: Marsh

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Would it make sense at this point to add more hard drives at $15 per TB? 8+ months for return on the hard drive cost. I am considering to return the drives I bought from Costco. It seems like there is no point of holding onto those smr drives given that return on investment is so low now.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I never like SMR drives, I would returned the drives now.

If you still want to add drives, wait for normal drives at $15 /TB for 8TB or higher.

I am not buying drive now, unless price is back to normal.

Yesterday, $119 8TB HGST SAS drives was posted in Great deal forum.
4TB SAS for $40 .
Drive price is coming down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I would also suggest avoiding 6TB drives. I have 4 and when they are loaded with as many full blocks as possible (MadMax 108GB plots) the dirves end up with 100GB free each. Masive waste.

Just had my first payout with Spacepool. 0.01 Chia. Payout was auto and is reflected in my wallet. 18TB is averaging around 0.0003 Ghia per block currently for me. One thing of note is that the estimated plot size in the pool portal is based on the challenges against your plots and not just a list of the plot count x plot size. I believe this is so to weed out duplicated or invalid plots.

Still replotting, 2x 12TB drives now filled.

I managed to get the HL ML350p to plot at 1@32m (half the previous time) by going from 1xSSD for tmp2 --> 4x SSD (Raid0) but its fans screem. As this is in my apartment the Wife approval factor hit the floor.

Now I will have to look at playing with the heat / fan / performance BIOS settings to see if I can quiet them a bit or go back to slower plotting but be able to plot without driving everyone in the apartment insane :D.

Edit: One other thing I am now also doing is moving my Plotted drives away from the full node and Qnap DAS unit. I have disabled USB power saving etc but am still getting 18sec delays sometimes. I am moving the drives over to ext4 on Ubuntu harvesters. I will use the Nuc only for fullnode farmer etc duties and have the proofs done solely by remote farmers. I have enough drive bays for all my drives and soem more so should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluminat and Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
still getting 18sec delays sometimes

helps a lot,
change ~/.chia/mainnet/config/config.yaml , plot_loading_frequency_seconds from its default (120s)
plot_loading_frequency_seconds: 3600 ( 1 hr )

Check the warning message in debug.log file too.

Reactions: RimBlock

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
helps a lot,
change ~/.chia/mainnet/config/config.yaml , plot_loading_frequency_seconds from its default (120s)
plot_loading_frequency_seconds: 3600 ( 1 hr )

Check the warning message in debug.log file too.
I did change this previously but I will check all my machines now that I have new plots no faster than 32 mins. Every 35 mins or so should catch new plots in a timely manner as well.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Change the plot_loading_frequency_seconds setting to 1 hr or more after you filled the drive with plots.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
416gb ram? Why would I use this while mad max plotter only needs 128gb memory. At this point, I also assume no one is burning their flash drives to plot right?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
416gb ram? Why would I use this while mad max plotter only needs 128gb memory. At this point, I also assume no one is burning their flash drives to plot right?
Think again ... It's a PoC how 'things' could go without ...

Last edited: