SXM2 over PCIe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jkb521

Dec 4, 2023
i think this link is something that's manageable https://www.fiverr.com/jkb521 for international. *(@jkb521 I'm not sure if you are selling things there tho)

Personally people here would be most happy if you had ebay account or aliexpress.
you are right,I just ad. on Fiverr, the others usually contact me and trade by paypal, BY the way , I brought 4 8654 to 8611 cable, and two 8654 Pcie card, they are on the way, but today a guy told me this way impossible, whether they are right, I will test in my supermico 1029GQ PCI server.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
i noticed that your PCB design and the other test/dev boards for SXM2 to PCIe don't utilize the second mezzanine SXM connector. why is that? what is that second connector used for (maybe nvlink)?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
From what I could see on sxm board - Its for nvlink interface connection for P states, and inter-node communication.
(nvlink handles power states on sxm cards, without it those cards will be forced into full power at all times - p states won't work just like pcie variant of p100, and v100.)

Reactions: gsrcrxsi

MildHotSauce

Mar 7, 2023
I've done this earlier this year. I have been meaning to do a write up. You guys seem to have everything. Big thanks to the OP for helping too! CyklonDX was the best. I have a AOM-SXMV, RSC-G-6 works but you have to bend it around the power input. A pcie jumper (male to male), need the 2 to 1 nvidia power cables and the oculink pcie card with two cables and a PSU with enough juice :) Attached is a picture, I put the GPU in the middle to test if it needed to be in a certain order, it didn't. You can also see how the card kind of bends around too. I only tested it on linux mint.

Attachments

Last edited:

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Would love if someone made (readily available) a flexible riser from the custom Supermicro port to normal PCIe. Or even the specific name of the port. “Supermicro port” or “SC port” is too vague as Supermicro has many different custom PCIe port shapes and sizes. We need to differentiate this particular port if someone is to ask someone to make one. It must have some kind of standard name for the connector itself.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
doesnt look to be SXB2 (or other variations of SXB) from googling other SXB2 cards. unless it's a fluid kind of standard where they call everything proprietary as "SXB" and only add numbers to it to label them on individual boards.

RSC-GR-6-X and RSC-G-6 look nearly identical. not sure what the difference even is. but both of them are facing the wrong way. we need a riser flippes around 180deg so it's not impinging on the SXM2 area where the GPUs are.

Reactions: Underscore

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
Sorry to interject. But looking at the SXM2 PCBs it seems like a quite straight forward conversion to PCIe. SXM3+ is a different story, as they also changed the voltage. Has anyone ever found any pinout diagrams for SXM2/3? I searched for a couple of hours but no dice.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Sorry to interject. But looking at the SXM2 PCBs it seems like a quite straight forward conversion to PCIe. SXM3+ is a different story, as they also changed the voltage. Has anyone ever found any pinout diagrams for SXM2/3? I searched for a couple of hours but no dice.
i recommend asking @jkb521 as he's one producing sxm pcie cards.

jkb521

Dec 4, 2023
are you using this adapter to connect to the AOM-SXMV board?

what is on the other end of the cables?
也是,the other 8611,Iit's not work, Imaybe I have to try male to male Pcie cable to connect thw supermico raiser card, but only can install two, there are no enough space

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
也是,the other 8611,Iit's not work, Imaybe I have to try male to male Pcie cable to connect thw supermico raiser card, but only can install two, there are no enough space
I thought @CyklonDX said you cannot connect these 8611 connections from the AOM-SXMV directly to a PCIe slot. you have to use the custom Supermicro slots (that the AOM-SXM-BRG connects to) and adapt that to a PCIe slot.

i wish it was as simple to use the 8611 cable conenctions instead :(

tyrrohr

Dec 17, 2023
Ive also been trying to figure this out, sofar the best result is these two threads from the nvidia forums
Thread 1
Thread 2