SXM2 over PCIe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Underscore

Oct 21, 2023
Customized cables have appeared in Xianyu, China's second-hand market, as shown below
Getting "no longer available" when inputting this URL into Superbuy. Is there an official produced version on Taobao now? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Edit: Has anyone tried the RSC-GR-A88? It seems compatible with the AOM-SXMV like the RSC-G-A66-X1, but it's x8 instead of x16, plus no OcuLink.

Last edited:

james168

Feb 2, 2024
Hi, does anyone know the circuit schematic of RSC-G-6, or the pin definition of the interface connected to AOM-SXMV? I did not find the answer to the problem after searching on Google, can anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks

Reactions: Underscore

RGL

Oct 24, 2020
This cable was designed by me and has been tested. I am currently communicating with the factory on how to produce it.
The AOM-SXMV riser cable is now available on Taobao, and you can buy it through shopping agents such as Superbuy.
Link:
【Taobao】https://m.tb.cn/h.5v5VyD2QljwgbKI?tk=viO4WOSh8W0 CZ0012 「AOM-SXMV AOM-SXM2 adapter cable AOM-SXMV-PIO」
Click the link to open directly or search on Taobao to open directly

Reactions: CyklonDX

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
The AOM-SXMV riser cable is now available on Taobao, and you can buy it through shopping agents such as Superbuy.
Link:
【Taobao】https://m.tb.cn/h.5v5VyD2QljwgbKI?tk=viO4WOSh8W0 CZ0012 「AOM-SXMV AOM-SXM2 adapter cable AOM-SXMV-PIO」
Click the link to open directly or search on Taobao to open directly
I assume that two AOM-SXM to PCIe cables are needed, correct?

Is the price listed for two cables? Or for only one cable?

Edit- I see via the Superbuy link that the price includes two (2) cables.

Last edited:

RGL

Oct 24, 2020
I assume that two AOM-SXM to PCIe cables are needed, correct?

Is the price listed for two cables? Or for only one cable?

Edit- I see via the Superbuy link that the price includes two (2) cables.
Yes, AOM-SXMV and AOM-SXM2 requires two cables to support 4 sxm cards, so we do not sell them individually, the price is for two cables.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
It seems all we need is two of the AOM-SXMV-PIO boards. Then we can use whatever PCIe extension cables we want. The right angle PICe extensions you’re including might not be suitable for every application.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
@CyklonDX do you know off-hand if the 32GB version of the SXM2 V100s will work on the AOM-SXMV or AOM-SXM2?

the 32GB SXM2 modules are still pricey, and I have seen some sellers explicitly claim compatibility with V100 16GB, but I wasnt sure if the 32GB versions are omitted by sellers because they don't work, or just the sellers don;t know if they will work. the GPU core and VRM layout looks the same to me.

RGL

Oct 24, 2020
It seems all we need is two of the AOM-SXMV-PIO boards. Then we can use whatever PCIe extension cables we want. The right angle PICe extensions you’re including might not be suitable for every application.
Yes, in theory you can use pcie riser cable + AOM-SXMV-PIO board, but due to multiple transfers, not all riser cables can work stably. This is what I found after I selected several riser cable suppliers.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
@CyklonDX do you know off-hand if the 32GB version of the SXM2 V100s will work on the AOM-SXMV or AOM-SXM2?

the 32GB SXM2 modules are still pricey, and I have seen some sellers explicitly claim compatibility with V100 16GB, but I wasnt sure if the 32GB versions are omitted by sellers because they don't work, or just the sellers don;t know if they will work. the GPU core and VRM layout looks the same to me.
AOM-SXMV only supports Volta V100's sxm2 cards.
AOM-SXM2 only supports Pascal P100's sxm2 cards as i recall.
(note there are sxm3 & sxm2 v100's; sxm3 are not compatible)

(they are really not worth $ anymore in my opinion unless you need fp64 nvidia card - a 3090 will out perform it in 2x fp32 and will be about same in fp16); and A5000 will provide you with sriov features if that's what you are looking for ~ with similar + around $200 price.

Last edited:

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I need the FP64 and a lot of VRAM for a CUDA application, and a Titan V or V100 is many times faster. Also the extra VRAM over a Titan V will be helpful for me since some tasks run out of VRAM on Titan V. I have a bunch of Titan Vs now but if I can get this to work then it will be cheaper than the titans and better overall.

my question was more about 32GB VRAM V100 SXM2 models specifically. Should those work on the SXMV? Or only 16GB. That’s what I was trying to clarify.

there’s nowhere to buy RTX A5000s for $200. They’re all 1200-2000

I can buy AOM-SXMV for about $200
Can buy the adapter cables from RGL for ~$115
Can buy SXM2 16GB V100s for ~$175/ea
Can buy heatsinks for ~60

that’s a 4x V100 setup for ~1250. Much cheaper than anything comparable.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
AOM-SXMV will work with any and only Volta SXM2 cards.
(The A5000 is like ~$200 more expensive vs GV100 32G which has most fp64 due to higher clocks)

For use mi250 prob better value after few years - if you count electricity.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I need the FP64 and a lot of VRAM for a CUDA application, and a Titan V or V100 is many times faster. Also the extra VRAM over a Titan V will be helpful for me since some tasks run out of VRAM on Titan V. I have a bunch of Titan Vs now but if I can get this to work then it will be cheaper than the titans and better overall.

my question was more about 32GB VRAM V100 SXM2 models specifically. Should those work on the SXMV? Or only 16GB. That’s what I was trying to clarify.

there’s nowhere to buy RTX A5000s for $200. They’re all 1200-2000

I can buy AOM-SXMV for about $200
Can buy the adapter cables from RGL for ~$115
Can buy SXM2 16GB V100s for ~$175/ea
Can buy heatsinks for ~60

that’s a 4x V100 setup for ~1250. Much cheaper than anything comparable.
well, I would argue 4x P100 (20 Tflops fp64) for $600 is pretty comparable :) at half the price

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
half the FP64 Flops tho, and better FP32, mixed precision work will be a lot better.

and I need (want) Volta or better. the CUDA MPS implementation, that i use a lot, is miles better on Volta, plus the inclusion of Tensor cores.

P100 is cheap, but at this price and for me, it makes sense to step up to V100

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
half the FP64 Flops tho, and better FP32, mixed precision work will be a lot better.

and I need (want) Volta or better. the CUDA MPS implementation, that i use a lot, is miles better on Volta, plus the inclusion of Tensor cores.

P100 is cheap, but at this price and for me, it makes sense to step up to V100
V100 is only 7 Tflops per card, nowhere close to 2x faster. But, if your code is locked to Volta or newer CUDA features then there isn't really a question.
Volta tensor performance is meh, the raw performance of GV100 is about half of GA100, but the tensor cores are fp16 only (no bf16, no fp32, no int8). The real issue is FlashAttention2 was never ported to Volta (the SM layout is different) so for transformers you eat an additional 2x difference in performance. Unless your workload fits in 64GB but not 48GB, you are better off with 2x 3090 + NVLINK which supports the latest optimizations and costs about the same (of course, then you don't get fp64, but most people I've met do fp64 or fp16, not both :rolleyes:)
Of course its different if you go really big, because V100 supports scaling out into clusters of 100s of GPUs over Infiniband. But that's not exactly hobby grade...