SXM2 over PCIe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

line

May 13, 2023
The price is too expensive for RSC-GR-6, and shipping them to China is also costly. I've looked at some second-hand Dell C4140 GPU boards on domestic websites in China, which cost a little over 150 US dollars and are also brand new. Therefore, I think it's more cost-effective to buy a new Dell C4140 GPU board instead! I communicated with the merchant, and they are willing to sell it for about 1000 RMB. I plan to put this(AOM-SXMV) online and hope it can continue to sell.
1686646537929.png

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Other than the proprietary power connectors, are you able to use this board with a normal non-dell system? I thought it was mentioned that you need special Dell drivers to get the GPUs detected.

line

May 13, 2023

The yellow wire should be +12V positive and the black wire is usually negative. It is connected to the CPU via SFF-8654 x8 connector. So, I think if I connect the power supply and signal wires, and download the corresponding drivers from the Dell official website, it should work! I hope you can give me some advice on whether this solution can be successful!

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
download the corresponding drivers from the Dell official website, it should work! I hope you can give me some advice on whether this solution can be successful!
Dell drivers are locked down to specific server models - so very unlikely you'll get the driver part working - but i don't know;
Even still before you buy anything make sure the sxm board supports gpu's you are looking to use - some of those sxm2 only support pascal series.

joetler

Jun 14, 2023
The price is too expensive for RSC-GR-6, and shipping them to China is also costly. I've looked at some second-hand Dell C4140 GPU boards on domestic websites in China, which cost a little over 150 US dollars and are also brand new. Therefore, I think it's more cost-effective to buy a new Dell C4140 GPU board instead! I communicated with the merchant, and they are willing to sell it for about 1000 RMB. I plan to put this(AOM-SXMV) online and hope it can continue to sell.
View attachment 29646
Hi, have you made it with this board? I have a similar NVLINK board from Dell C4140, I tried to connect to X86 system(by a SFF8654 8i to PCIE cable) and power up the board, but failed. Looks the SXM2 module was not powered up correctly.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
i'm sure there are developer boards with single sxm3 but normally no. There aren't any single sxm boards.

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
Hmm, to sad. Was hoping something like this chinese single sxm2 to pcie adapter would exist for sxm3/4 too.

Any papers with pin layout/specifications of sxm3/4?

Maybe my friend would be able to design such adapters.

B/c those SXM3 V100 with 32GB are really nice in price/performance.

Reactions: Underscore

2d.langlands

Oct 23, 2023
then you didn't read correctly.

This setup doesn't require special motherboard with nvlink on it - like with most sxm supporting servers.

What i described is as follows:
We had issues with those ports failing... and we were able to connect them onto normal pcie bus as on the picture... (red failing, and we were able to use raisers to connect those pcie ports there on green...)
View attachment 29328
The oculink/s, and bridge/s were always required ~ and they are connected by standard in any of those servers using this board; It just they do not have to be a special pcie at all... and potentially all motherboard with enough pcie lanes can connect that AOM-SXM board.

and it does work (i blacked out any identifiers)
View attachment 29329
Dear friend
Would you like to tell me on the thrid picture which plx chip that the AOM-SXMV used? I am trying to contact someone who can make a pcb for AOM-SXMV. He asked me the specifications about the board. Thank you very much.
I would like to make a pcb with two 8654 8i port to Supermicro's port which is convinient to link with different motherboards. Any suggestions?

Reactions: efschu3

jkb521

Dec 4, 2023
In our servers? We custom ordered pcie extension cable for that sc port, and unplugged raiser from one of the ports (green) that we could as its the same pcie connector as in red.

by long raiser i meant (cable) ~ as such (note this std pcie) img just an example
View attachment 29332

There's nothing special on that long proprietary port from sc. Its normal pcie just soldered in a bit opposite way... so you can have male-male long sc pcie extender cable/raiser to normal pcie without any real issue.

The whole point is to make this work on non-specific hardware/motherboard - it was intended to work with. This is as far as i know only single board that can be connected to non-vendor specific mobo as it doesn't have nvlink on the motherboard itself - but on sxm board.
but it not standard PCI slot

jkb521

Dec 4, 2023
who sell my Pcb on ebay, I just sell them on xianyu (a second hand market in china),I also sell some SXM2/3/4 here 【闲鱼】https://m.tb.cn/h.5lp8a70?tk=HnavW4Fd2Ex CZ3457 「这是我的闲鱼号,快来看看吧~」
点击链接直接打开

jkb521

Dec 4, 2023
After connecting the wires this way, the motherboard cannot detect the AOM-SXMV. I am not sure whether the GPU or the motherboard is faulty, or if there is a compatibility issue. Do I need the AOM-SXM-BRG? Can you help me identify the problem?
could you tell me where to buy 8654 to 8611 or 8611 to 8654, I did not found this type

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Sry, but I think something went wrong while posting the link. Could you please provide this somehow for ouside-china'ers like me ;)
all goes right. you have to install the APP, need chn phone number thought.
afaik: for paying you need china bank account
PLEASE correct me if i am wrong !!!

2d.langlands

Oct 23, 2023
that PCIe card plus SXM waterblock would be sweet.
Chinese have all these things. I am trying to do tests on how to use sxm2 on other servers recently. By the way, nonstandard pcie to 8654 has a problem that it needs bifurcation x4x4x4x4 on the motherboard.